Professional Web Applications Themes

Not enough Virtual Memory? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I have been using Elements 2.0 successfully on a new 40GB hard drive with 4 partitions of about 10GB each. I have 480MB of memory (ram). Today I received the following error message when trying to run Elements. "Could not start Adobe Photoshop because the volume Windows is using for virtual memory does not have enough free space, which could lead tp stability problems. See Windows help for information on increasing available virtual memory." Free space on the Drive is 6.78GB. I am using Windows ME default setup for managing virtual memory. I have uninstalled Elements and re-installed, but the ...

  1. #1

    Default Not enough Virtual Memory?

    I have been using Elements 2.0 successfully on a new 40GB hard drive with 4 partitions of about 10GB each. I have 480MB of memory (ram). Today I received the following error message when trying to run Elements.

    "Could not start Adobe Photoshop because the volume Windows is using for virtual memory does not have enough free space, which could lead tp stability problems. See Windows help for information on increasing available virtual memory."

    Free space on the Drive is 6.78GB. I am using Windows ME default setup for managing virtual memory. I have uninstalled Elements and re-installed, but the problem persists. I have no errors in my System Devices and the last time I used Elements it ran successfully. All other applications I use including Acrobat run successfully.

    I have installed Elemets on a 2.1GB harddrive and it works fine.

    Has anyone seen this before?

    Many thanks.
    Lucius
    lucius sulla Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Not enough Virtual Memory?

    Lucius,

    Try defragging your drive, it's possibly too fragmented to allocate more
    virtual memory space.

    Windows "virtual memory" (also called the "paging file" or "swap file") is a
    file allocated by the operating system on your hard drive. It is used to
    extend your RAM when the needed memory is greater than the amount of RAM you
    physically have installed in your system. It's expanded automatically as
    needed provided there is enough free space on the disk. The space needs to
    be contiguous, so if the disk is fragmented, it might not be possible to get
    enough space to expand the file and you'll get the message you described.

    The default size of the paging file is 1.5 times the amount of RAM installed
    on the computer. You probably should increase that somewhat since digital
    image editing programs like Elements use a lot of RAM. Pre-allocating a
    larger paging file will also reduce the need to expand the file during use
    and help to avoid the problem you're having. The new size will be effective
    next boot-up.

    The amount you need will depend on how many memory resident programs and
    processes you have running at the same time and the amount of memory each
    requires to operate.

    If you have more than one physical disk, you should allocate the virtual
    memory file on the physical disk that you don't boot from.

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest