Professional Web Applications Themes

Not just SCO but look at FSF.... - SCO

In article <google.com>, fuzzywzhe <com> wrote:  >> >> >> Not necessarily. As Jeff's satiric post pointed out, licenses >> that include such phrases as "buy me a beer when you are >> in Boston" (and there are such silly things in Open Source >> code) are unlikely to be taken seriously by the courts.[/ref][/ref]   You asked for it, you got it. Toyota. Woops a quick grep for beer in the source tree brings up many. This is just one. If you wish more just go to your own source tree and type: find . -exec grep -i beer {} ...

  1. #81

    Default Re: just SCO but look at FSF....

    In article <google.com>,
    fuzzywzhe <com> wrote:

    >> Not necessarily. As Jeff's satiric post pointed out, licenses
    >> that include such phrases as "buy me a beer when you are
    >> in Boston" (and there are such silly things in Open Source
    >> code) are unlikely to be taken seriously by the courts.[/ref][/ref]

    You asked for it, you got it. Toyota. Woops a quick
    grep for beer in the source tree brings up many. This is just one.
    If you wish more just go to your own source tree and type:

    find . -exec grep -i beer {} /dev/null \; |less

    If anyone isn't familiar with using /dev/null that will let
    grep print the file name in which it found the string.

    Here is just one. I'm not going to go further as there are 31804
    files in the source tree on this computer. The cvs tag at the end
    indentifies the module. That copyright has been changed since
    this module was written. I believe the pgh labled 3 has been
    removed.

    /*
    *
    * Portions of this code was derived from the file kern_fork.c and as such
    * is subject to the copyrights below.
    *
    * Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    * The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
    * (c) UNIX System Laboratories, Inc.
    * All or some portions of this file are derived from material licensed
    * to the University of California by American Telephone and Telegraph
    * Co. or Unix System Laboratories, Inc. and are reproduced herein with
    * the permission of UNIX System Laboratories, Inc.
    *
    * are met:
    * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
    * doentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
    * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
    * must display the following acknowledgement:
    * This product includes software developed by the University of
    * California, Berkeley and its contributors.
    * 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
    * may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
    * without specific prior written permission.
    *
    * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
    * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
    * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
    * ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
    * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
    * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
    * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
    * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
    * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
    * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
    * SUCH DAMAGE.
    *
    * Copyright (c) 1996 Douglas Santry
    *
    * This code is subject to the beer copyright. If I chance to meet you in a
    * bar and this code helped you in some way, you owe me a beer. Only
    * in Germany will I accept domestic beer. This code may or may not work
    * and I certainly make no claims as to its fitness for *any* purpose.
    *
    * $FreeBSD: src/sys/kern/kern_threads.c,v 1.15 1999/08/28 00:46:15 peter Exp $
    */

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  2. #82

    On Tue, Oct 28, 2003, Bill Vermillion wrote: [/ref]

    >You asked for it, you got it. Toyota. Woops a quick
    >grep for beer in the source tree brings up many. This is just one.
    >If you wish more just go to your own source tree and type:
    >
    >find . -exec grep -i beer {} /dev/null \; |less
    >
    >If anyone isn't familiar with using /dev/null that will let
    >grep print the file name in which it found the string.[/ref]

    Ah Ha! A Unix topic for a change!

    A much more efficient way to do the find/grep is to use xargs
    (still forcing at least two arguments to grep so it will always
    print the file name first).

    find . -type f -print | xargs grep -i beer /dev/null | less

    Or if you just want the file names:

    find . -type f -print | xargs grep -l -i beer | less

    Or use pcregrep from the Perl C Regular Expression package to break on the
    word beer, leaving out conversations about folks named Lambeer.

    find . -type f -print | xargs pcregrep -i '\bbeer\b' /dev/null | less

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``Perhaps, when committing your first federal crime, it would be unwise to
    slap your name and address on it and mail it to 10,000 people.'' --Dogbert
    Bill Guest

  3. #83

    In article <mi.celestial.com>,
    Bill Campbell <com> wrote: [/ref]

    >>You asked for it, you got it. Toyota. Woops a quick
    >>grep for beer in the source tree brings up many. This is just one.
    >>If you wish more just go to your own source tree and type:[/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    And a reply!!! I just found that all posts I had made for the last
    8-10 days were still sitting here. I had reconfigured a subroutine
    in the posting area [since I only have a few NG's I still use
    cnews] and it gave a malformed header and earthlink recejcted it.

    I just check to see if there is a togo file and cron has
    a 5-59/10 * * * * entry, so it tried posting the same thing and
    failing 10 times per hour - and that turned off my posts with
    'daily limit exceeded'. :-(

    I thought for awhile I had become a pariah.

    My example did pass two names to grep and I should have used
    -type f for a good example but I was in a pure source tree.

    Good comment. Didn't think about that.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  4. #84

    Default Re: sco-list: Re: just SCO but look at FSF....

    On Wed, Oct 29, 2003, Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >Good comment. Didn't think about that.[/ref]

    You obviously haven't made as many mistakes as I have :-).

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    My brother sent me a postcard the other day with this big satellite photo
    of the entire earth on it. On the back it said: ``Wish you were here''.
    -- Steven Wright

    Bill Guest

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345