Professional Web Applications Themes

Not just SCO in trouble. Notes on SUN.... - SCO

Like I said we need to make sure all are informed so... http://story.news./news?tmpl=story&cid=568&ncid=738&e=11&u=/nm/2003 1002/bs_nm/tech_sunmicro_dc yst: Sun Micro Facing 'Crisis' By Duncan Martell SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Network computer maker Sun Microsystems Inc. (Nasdaq: SUNW -news ) should slash as much as 19 percent of its work force and tighten its product focus or it could become a takeover target, an influential Wall Street yst said on Thursday. "Sun faces a crisis," Merrill Lynch yst Steve Milunovich wrote in an unusual note to clients, which was in the form of an open letter to Chief Executive Scott McNealy and the company's ...

  1. #1

    Default Not just SCO in trouble. Notes on SUN....

    Like I said we need to make sure all are informed so...

    http://story.news./news?tmpl=story&cid=568&ncid=738&e=11&u=/nm/2003
    1002/bs_nm/tech_sunmicro_dc

    yst: Sun Micro Facing 'Crisis'
    By Duncan Martell

    SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Network computer maker Sun Microsystems Inc.
    (Nasdaq: SUNW -news ) should slash as much as 19 percent of its work force
    and tighten its product focus or it could become a takeover target, an
    influential Wall Street yst said on Thursday.

    "Sun faces a crisis," Merrill Lynch yst Steve Milunovich wrote in an
    unusual note to clients, which was in the form of an open letter to Chief
    Executive Scott McNealy and the company's board.

    "On its current course ... Sun is likely to suffer further share and
    financial losses, become irrelevant to most users, and eventually be
    acquired for its installed base."

    Milunovich, who rates Sun stock as "neutral," outlined several areas that
    the company could address, including cutting up to 7,000 jobs, spinning off
    technology such as its Java software, hiring a chief operating officer and
    giving McNealy "a make-over."

    "Scott's brash and contrarian personality have been synonymous with the
    company's image and success," he said. "Unfortunately, the act is getting
    old."

    "I've not heard back from Scott yet," Milunovich said in a telephone
    interview.

    Sun has suffered more than rivals International Business Machines Corp.
    (NYSE: IBM -news ), Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ -news ) and Dell Inc.
    (Nasdaq: DELL -news ) since the dot-com bubble burst and the
    telecommunications industry slump began almost three years ago. It has
    reported declining revenue for the last nine quarters and has lost market
    share to rivals.

    OTHER YSTS ALSO CALL FOR JOB CUTS

    While corporations are starting to renew technology purchases, they are
    favoring systems that run on less expensive, standardized microchips from
    Intel Corp.(Nasdaq: INTC -news ) and use the Linux ( news -web sites )
    operating system, rather than Sun's servers, ysts have said.

    Asked which firm might be a likely bidder for Sun, Milunovich said: "It's
    very hard to say. Obviously, a larger computer company, so you're talking
    IBM, HP, possibly Fujitsu, with whom they've had a relationship."

    Speculation that Sun might be bought has surfaced periodically since the
    company went into its downward revenue spiral, but McNealy has repeatedly
    said that Sun would be the buyer, not the seller, in any deal, pointing to
    its $5.7 billion in cash.

    Sun spokesman Andy Lark declined to comment on the acquisition question,
    adding that "we don't have any widespread work force reductions planned
    right now, but we have been clear in saying that it we don't meet our goals,
    we would revisit the question of the appropriate size of our work force." He
    said the company does not comment on yst research as a matter policy.

    Sun is already trimming about 1,000 jobs across the company, adding to the
    more than 3,500 it has already cut in the past two years. Its total work
    force now stands at about 36,000.

    Milunovich's remarks came just days after the company surprised Wall Street
    by warning of a wider-than-expected loss in the current quarter.

    Other ysts have also questioned whether Santa Clara, California-based
    Sun has done enough to cut costs and jobs, with Goldman Sachs and Sanford C.
    Bernstein ysts earlier this week suggesting further job cuts.

    Sun's shares closed down 5 cents at $3.20 on Thursday, after sliding about 3
    percent to their lowest level in about six months, and were the most
    actively traded on Nasdaq.

    Even though Milunovich was harsh in his criticism of Sun, he said it was not
    yet a foregone conclusion that Sun would go the way of Silicon Graphics,
    Digital Equipment Corp., Data General, and other once high-flying
    high-technology companies that were either acquired or marginalized by
    competition.

    "I don't think it's too late," Milunovich told Reuters, who said this was
    the first time he had written an open letter to a company he covers. "I
    think they're at an important inflection point. I do think they have to make
    some tough decisions." (With additional reporting by Franklin Paul in New
    York)

    --
    Boyd Gerber <com>

    Boyd Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Not just SCO in trouble. Notes on SUN....

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

    REST SNIPPED

    Boyd,

    In your earlier postings, you seem to support the right of a copyright
    holder to defend their copyright, yet, here you post the entire text of an
    article. Isn't that a copyright infringment? Why the double standard?

    Joe Guest

  3. #3

    "Joe Dunning" <com> wrote in message
    news:.. [/ref]
    http://story.news./news?tmpl=story&cid=568&ncid=738&e=11&u=/nm/2003

    > REST SNIPPED
    >
    > Boyd,
    >
    > In your earlier postings, you seem to support the right of a copyright
    > holder to defend their copyright, yet, here you post the entire text of an
    > article. Isn't that a copyright infringment? Why the double standard?[/ref]

    Actually it is not copyright infringment because he is giving credit
    where credit is due. The worst he could do in this situation is
    be nailed for plagerism but he also provided the proper references.

    I think it would be copyright infringement if he had to pay for the
    article (like access to articles on http://online.wsj.com/public/us) and
    then offering the text to the newsgroup without us paying for it, but
    this article is in the public domain and available for viewing.

    moncho

    moncho Guest