Since Modulo is defined, there is a way to define integer division such that it STAYS in integer mode and you never have to worry about float rounding problems.

$int_quotient = (int) ( ( $a - $a % $b ) / $b )

The int is merely there for casting the result to a integer.

Take 14 / 4

$a - $a % $b is integer math, and removes the remainder, this ensures a clean division...

14 - 14 % 4 = 14 - 2 = 12 <- Stays integer

By the above step, removing the remainder guarantees the resulting division will yield a whole number, yes it is a float, but being a whole number, there is no funky floating point artifacts. All the math till this point has been integer.

12 / 3 = 4.0, which is converted to INT by the cast.

Now, we get.... 4 and 2 as the integer results for 14/3 & 14%3.

Is this correct?

4*3 + 2 = 14, so it works.

Negative cases are funky, but I'm sure this can be modded to deal with 14/-3, and -14/3.
3
----
Manual Page -- [url]http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.operators.arithmetic.php[/url]
Edit Note -- [url]http://master.php.net/manage/user-notes.php?action=edit+33903[/url]