Professional Web Applications Themes

NSAlertSheet question - Mac Programming

Hello NG is there a way to customize a NSAlert in the way that you can have a specific width of the panel or have scroll-bars for the alert-text ? Or how can I have a panel that popup in the same way NSAlertSheet dose Thank you for your time and help Florian...

  1. #1

    Default NSAlertSheet question

    Hello NG

    is there a way to customize a NSAlert in the way that you can have a specific width of the panel or have scroll-bars for the alert-text ? Or how can I have a panel that popup in the same way NSAlertSheet dose

    Thank you for your time and help

    Florian
    Florian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: NSAlertSheet question

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Florian Zschocke wrote:

    There is no way to customize NSAlert like that; the point of NSAlert is
    simple alerts, and that's not what you're asking for.

    NSApplication has a very long method to display any arbitrary window as a
    sheet of another window, it starts with "beginSheet:". You can use that to
    display arbitrarily complex sheets.

    By the way, your newsreader is broken and not properly wrapping text.
    While we *should* all have readers that can deal with it, usenet is
    somewhat of a relic and mine can't.
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    "Michael Ash" <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    Thank you Michael
    Sorry, it is not broken, it is still early beta. Should I set linebreak
    after every 60 charakters ?

    Florian
    P.S. You can use my newsreader in a few weeks. It can handle mime messages
    and it will be free.

    Florian Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Florian Zschocke wrote:

    > Thank you Michael
    > Sorry, it is not broken, it is still early beta. Should I set linebreak
    > after every 60 charakters ?[/ref]

    Oh, you're using a newsreader you wrote yourself? Neat. I thought you just
    had a misconfigured reader.

    The problem is apparently harder than it looks. There's an RFC which seems
    to cover it here: <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt>. It looks
    like the 'standard' wrapping width is 72 characters.
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    "Michael Ash" <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    Yes, I know most of that stuff, but what I did not know is how actual these
    rfc are.
    I think a lot of these concepts are overcome - but the line-break is
    important,
    we need it to set the quotes in the answer. But there are some things you
    better
    don't break line URL'S, than there will be a limit at 998 characters .......
    than you have to fold..........and so on and on - puh - concepts of the last
    century !
    The best would be a XML-NNTP-Server !
    But meanwhile i will implement that .

    Florian Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Florian Zschocke wrote:

    I agree that it's silly, but my newsreader (pine... I know, I know) mauled
    your original post, and I had to quote it and line-break it by hand.

    This post is better. What you see quoted above is exactly what it gave me
    with no modification. It looks like the lines might be too long or
    something, but it wasn't all stuck on one line like before. From the way
    usenet works, you'd get the impression that text wrapping was like brain
    surgery or something.
    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Florian,

     [/ref]

    "Florian Zschocke" <de> writes:

    I don't know what that particular RFC is about, but in general most
    RFCs are eternal. They can be obsoleted by expanded versions, but
    expansion and clarification usually doesn't mean that the original
    rules don't apply any more. After all there is almost always software
    out there that would break otherwise, and it's not the RFC editors'
    job to declare that software obsolete.

    Formally you can check the file "rfcindex" about the status of RFCs
    and if they are obsoleted by more recent versions.

    benny
    Benjamin Guest