Professional Web Applications Themes

NT Backup - Windows Server

We have a problem with scheduled backups using the NT Backup program. It looks for the backup selection in the wrong place. eg. if our selection was in "C:\backup\selections\backup.bks" the log will show that it can't find "selections\backup.bks" or similar. We have tried putting the selection in various places, including the root directory, and get the same result. Running from a command from a batch file also causes this. If the "" symbol is removed from the command, then the backup proceeds but does not actually backup any files. This has happenned on several machines, also on Windows XP machines. ...

  1. #1

    Default NT Backup

    We have a problem with scheduled backups using the NT
    Backup program. It looks for the backup selection in the
    wrong place. eg. if our selection was
    in "C:\backup\selections\backup.bks" the log will show
    that it can't find "selections\backup.bks" or similar. We
    have tried putting the selection in various places,
    including the root directory, and get the same result.
    Running from a command from a batch file also causes
    this. If the "" symbol is removed from the command, then
    the backup proceeds but does not actually backup any
    files. This has happenned on several machines, also on
    Windows XP machines. One machine running Windows XP runs
    a job in task scheduler each night to backup to a zip
    disk. It fails every time, but if I right click the job
    and select run it works every time. We have been
    frustrated by this for some time now. Has anyone seen
    this problem before?
    Hooligan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: NT Backup

    In article <24a5101c45fd2$06f1fe70$a301280aphx.gbl>,
    [email]anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com[/email] says...
    > We have a problem with scheduled backups using the NT
    > Backup program. It looks for the backup selection in the
    > wrong place. eg. if our selection was
    > in "C:\backup\selections\backup.bks" the log will show
    > that it can't find "selections\backup.bks" or similar. We
    > have tried putting the selection in various places,
    > including the root directory, and get the same result.
    > Running from a command from a batch file also causes
    > this. If the "" symbol is removed from the command, then
    > the backup proceeds but does not actually backup any
    > files. This has happenned on several machines, also on
    > Windows XP machines. One machine running Windows XP runs
    > a job in task scheduler each night to backup to a zip
    > disk. It fails every time, but if I right click the job
    > and select run it works every time. We have been
    > frustrated by this for some time now. Has anyone seen
    > this problem before?

    Hi. I have recently had BIG problems with nt backup, so I will try to
    share some of my knowledge.

    First of all, when ntbackup.exe report that it can't find the selection
    file, it usually can't find or access a path or file *inside* of the
    selection file (.bks). Check if the user credentials that you are using
    to run the scheduled job has the access to all of the locations that are
    listed in the .bks file.

    Another problem is when running a scheduled job, the user credentials
    that you are using to run the scheduled job, must have the "Run batch
    jobs" privilege (in the group policy, under security), and if you are
    trying to run systems state backup, it needs to be in the "backup
    operators" group on the local machine.

    Also, one another very important thing is: be very careful if you are
    trying to edit .bks file outside of ntbackup. If you are using notepad
    to edit .bks, do *not* just save the file, but instead use "save as" and
    specify that the encoding must be "unicode".

    Hope this helps.
    The real hell starts when you try to write scripts to automate backup
    procedure to tapes....

    Best regards,

    --
    Zoltan Fekete <zoltanfneobee.net>