Professional Web Applications Themes

NTLDR - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Have XP installed on hard drive1. This drive is partitioned as 1 primary NTFS, and 2 logical Fat32 partitions. Linux (RH9.0) is installed on hard drive2. This drive has the 3 original logical Fat32 partitions, and now has /boot, /root and swap partitions as used by Linux. Booting of Linux is via floppy. Now wish to boot from hard drive using GRUB, but do not wish to overwrite my XP MBR. Would prefer to use the existing loader NTLDR. Have read much and seen lots of examples, but always the /boot partition is typically quoted as hda2 or hda4, ie ...

  1. #1

    Default NTLDR

    Have XP installed on hard drive1. This drive is partitioned as 1 primary
    NTFS, and 2 logical Fat32 partitions.
    Linux (RH9.0) is installed on hard drive2. This drive has the 3 original
    logical Fat32 partitions, and now has /boot, /root and swap partitions as
    used by Linux.
    Booting of Linux is via floppy.
    Now wish to boot from hard drive using GRUB, but do not wish to overwrite my
    XP MBR. Would prefer to use the existing loader NTLDR.
    Have read much and seen lots of examples, but always the /boot partition is
    typically quoted as hda2 or hda4, ie on same drive as XP and its loader.
    Assumed this was merely coincidence and/or maybe was simply based on having
    one drive.
    Thus thought that, using my RH installation CD's, I would only have to
    install GRUB to my /boot partition, which in my case is hdb1. Then
    subsequently copy the /boot section info as a file to C:/, and finally edit
    my Windows boot.ini file accordingly, ie to point to that file. Thus
    thereon, the NTLDR would prompt for XP or Linux.
    Today I read a HOWTO on dual booting using this method and it specifically
    states that " /boot must be on the same hard drive (probaly the first) that
    has the Windows boot loader (NTLDR) on the MBR"

    I would appreciate confirmation that this last statement is correct or not,
    before I go ahead with the install.

    JW Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: NTLDR

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:45:21 +0000 (UTC),
    JW <co.uk> wrote:

    okay.

    well okay.

    Boot.ini is essentially a list of files containing boot sectors.

    Grub shouldn't have a problem booting Linux/XP.

    Install grub to the mbr of your primary drive.

    Copy the sector in question to a file.
    (dd if=/dev/hda of=bootsect.grb bs=512 count=1)?

    Replace the boot sector with a backup,
    recovery console: fixmbr
    or
    dos fdisk/mbr

    and then edit boot.ini

    Sorry, not a clue.

    The procedure I outlined above seems sound to me, I don't however use
    Grub, too much trouble to dig up the info.

    Having used the Recovery console in W2K I'd recommend using a Dos/Win9x
    boot disk and issuing the fdisk/mbr - it's much faster than getting the
    recovery console running.

    Since you already have a working boot disk testing shouldn't be a
    problem.

    BTW, if you want to play with partitions: / is a required mount point,
    /boot isn't, /root isn't, and while not required /home is useful.

    HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks but now somewhat confused. Why should I install grub to mbr, only to
    subsequently restore it using fixmbr.
    If I install grub to my linux boot partition (ie one of the redhat install
    options) then I make a copy of the boot info using dd if=/dev/hdb1
    of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1. I transfer the file bootsect.lnx to C:\,
    say via a floppy. I subsequently add c:/bootsect.lnx="linux" to my boot.ini
    file.
    The ntldr loader should then ask on booting whether I want XP or Linux.
    My question was whether, as stated in that specific Howto, does the Linux
    /boot partition have to be on the same drive as the ntldr loader? My /boot
    is hdb1, whereas ntldr is on hda.
    Since that post I've seen another Howto which suggests that one can boot
    across different drives as I originally intended. So who is correct?

    JW Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:08:24 +0000, JW typed:

    You should be able to boot across different drives. You might have been
    reading older/newer/good/bad/incomplete/incorrect versions of Howto's you
    have seen. Check the dates and if possible post the links to them, it's
    really, really hard to read your mind and review what to have read/seen.

    Why don't you just take the plunge and install the boot loader where you
    want it. Create the file and use the NTLDR, just make sure you have a
    Linux boot floppy/Installation CD handy just in case.

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

    Lenard Guest