Jenny,

The way I would handle this is to store information in an Application
variable. You could increment an integer value to keep track of the number
of current users, decrementing it when a users session ends. If you want to
store more specific information on each user then you could also do that
quite easily in a similar way by storing an Array of users in the
Application variable. I would be a little wary of storing too much
information in any Application variable as it will persist for the time that
the web app is running, unless you explicitly remove it.

Matt