Professional Web Applications Themes

O.T. Film and / or digital.. ? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I'm thinking of selling my current film based camera. But I am still unsure if it would be a good idea. I currently have a Canon 10D, and my film camera is a Canon Elan 7e. Technically speaking, they're pretty much identical. At first, when I got my 10D, I thought I'd still shoot slide films, but after several months, I've shot only a few rolls. So, is there a good reason for me to keep my camera ? PSE + ready made digital pictures is much faster than scanning the negatives. Did anyone had to face the same dilema, ...

  1. #1

    Default O.T. Film and / or digital.. ?

    I'm thinking of selling my current film based camera. But I am still unsure if it would be a good
    idea. I currently have a Canon 10D, and my film camera is a Canon Elan 7e. Technically speaking,
    they're pretty much identical. At first, when I got my 10D, I thought I'd still shoot slide films,
    but after several months, I've shot only a few rolls. So, is there a good reason for me to keep my
    camera ? PSE + ready made digital pictures is much faster than scanning the negatives.

    Did anyone had to face the same dilema, and if so, what was your conclusion? Did (or do you) regret
    your decision? Chuck, I think you're still using your camera film, same for Grant... When will you
    move to all-time digital? Why?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: O.T. Film and / or digital.. ?

    Ray - I still shoot the odd roll of film - mainly in a point and shoot but sometimes in my SLR - and I don't plan to get rid of the film cameras - partly because they are old and I wouldn't get anything much for them so the only cost is the room they take up in the cupboard; and partly because there are some occasions (weddings, etc) that I want to be able to increase the chance that the pictures last (see thread on disintegrating CD-Rs!) so I also record them on film.

    Susan S.
    Susan_S.@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Ray, my Canon film is packed away. haven't used it since i went digital. However, if I take another trip to Denali NP in Alaska I will indeed bring my film camera. Backpacking in the mountains...no place to recharge batteries and no way i'm waying down my pack with a pile of batteries ! So, you may want to keep that in mind....if you ever go on a 'walk about' :)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    And Chuck will loan me his zoom ;) all I have is the 75-210....not good enough for bear pics...the ones where I'm standing real far away from them. Alaska grizzly bears are huge !
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Even though I like my digital camera and the many things it does well.(Nikon 5700)
    When I take candids, wedding receptions, parties etc. I have to use my film camera. (Elan 2E)
    With the 35mm I can stay in focus, re-compose, an when I see the shot,take it, and it never misses.
    Unfortunately, with candids, when you see it in the digital, you just missed it. It's just not fast enough. Plus, at least on my Nikon, once you press half way on shutter to lock in exposure, you can't zoom in or out.
    Love 'em both,

    Ralph
    <http://www.darkstar.us>
    Ralph_Brannon@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Ray

    I really do bad mouth my digital camera but I do use it. I use it for web
    work, email, and experimentation. For me on the monitor digital is to be
    king. I do not use it for anything I value, anything I want to hang on the
    wall, or anything I want to be critical with. Digital is an indispensable
    tool for the web but it is not in the same tool as my 35 mm and nor should
    it be considering the cost difference.

    Why do I still adhere to film? Well apart from the obvious that film
    produced much superior results and a 35 mm SLR easier to control there is
    more to it than that. Every frame I shoot in film cost money and with that
    in mind I settle down and spend more time on each individual shot. Not only
    does this give me a higher percentage of acceptable images but also it gives
    me a higher number of good images. When I was in Arizona I shot over 3000
    digital and just under 300 film frames and in the end I had far more
    presentable images with film. The fact is I do not seem to work well in
    blanket shooting but the discipline that film force upon me gives me much
    higher artistic return. With that being said I still use both, digital
    seems to be my snapshot camera and my 35 mm is my creative outlet.

    When will I move to digital? Good question and the digital sirens do taunt
    me but ... when oh when .... I will wait for 20 meg cameras with full
    frame chips at a cost that is comparable to a film based camera and smells
    like hypo.

    But, Ray, I suspect this tells more about myself than anything else.

    Grant

    Grant_Dixon@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, Jodi, I'll lend you my zoom, although it's not much longer than the one
    you're using (75-300)...

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Ray, I'm a crummy photographer, but I've seen the work you've done. That's a very nice camera, and I think you might wish you had it back somewhere down the road. It's yours; it's paid for; and unless you've already got somebody on the string who'll give you big bucks for it, I think you should keep it! Digital is fine, but what happens if you later decide you want some "old fashioned pictures" again?! You're a very good photographer, and someday you might find, like Grant, that digital isn't quite up to the standards you'd like to set. Besides, what if your battery dies while you're backpacking in Denali? :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Ray, I haven't shot any film lately, but I still have the Elan (original
    version) in my camera bag and plan to fire it up again in the future. I
    want to try some slide photography and scanning (very interested in the
    thread on dedicated film vs. flatbed!) and compare the results with the
    digital. As we've talked about, I'm still not wild about the results I'm
    getting from the 10D - probably 90% operator error, but I really want to
    explore the other side a little more...

  10. #10

    :)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Can someone please mail me. I hate my server sometimes. I think he fell asleep again...yes 'he'...men can fall asleep standing up. :)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    You just got one from me, but I didn't say anything interesting. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Got it ! My sweet Beth...the only one who cares :)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Chuck, well maybe I'll just take you with me...2 zooms are better than one :) Beth, want to tag along ?? It will be fun...Oh geeze, Grant and Mart and Chris and Pete and Parri and Jane and heck...everyone should join in. 'Grizzly photo challenge !'..they are just 'little' grizzly bears on the inland ( mostly vegetarian unless they get lucky enough to catch the occasional groundhog ). The big ones are by the shore :)...we can stay away from there.
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I'm bad at the hiking part, but I'll stay at base camp and cook! As a matter of fact, we'll have base camp set up where there's electricity, and I'll spend the days recharging batteries for the digital cameras. :) I LOVE Alaska. Have I said that before?
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I've been thinking of photographing grizzlies....believe they have some in
    the Houston Zoo.... Will challenge my use of the Clone tool to get rid of
    them bars...

    :-)

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Hi Ray, Please don't get rid of your film camera! There are times, as everybody has said here, that you will want it. Just put it in the corner of your kitchen, keep the batteries up and full of film. You will need it!
    Our family uses both. One thing about digital, is when you are trying to capture fast moving animals such as our pets and grandkids, you will need your film camera. Keep both, why not?
    I keep a film point-and-shoot on the kitchen table ready and loaded. One in my truck, a disposable, ready and loaded. In the zipper thing on my bicycle, I came across a den of foxes last spring as I sat on a bluff over the ocean, and they played around my feet, and I couldn't move to fetch the camera out of my bicycle pouch,,,,,,oh well,,,,
    But you will be glad you have your film camera.
    Jane
    Jane_Carter@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Beth, sounds great !!!! Now, I must win the lottery so i can pay for all this....I'm paying for everyone ! Rounds for everyone !
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest