Professional Web Applications Themes

O.T. Hot Camera - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Does anyone know how much heat it takes to damage a digital camera. I like to keep one in my car but we've had 15 days in a row over 100 and the temp soars in the car when parked in the sun. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default O.T. Hot Camera

    Does anyone know how much heat it takes to damage a digital camera. I like to keep one in my car but we've had 15 days in a row over 100 and the temp soars in the car when parked in the sun. Thanks.
    Steven Reno Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: O.T. Hot Camera

    What does the manual say? Most of them warn not to exceed a certain temperature. (My husband has both the camera and the manual with him on a trip, so I can't check what mine says.) Storing a camera in a car under conditions like you describe would seem to be to be pushing one's luck! I'd think they could withstand higher than recommended amounts of heat in short bursts much better than constantly.
    Beth Haney Guest

  3. #3

    Steven,

    Sounds like you're already testing it. I live in HOT Dallas,TX and wouldn't dream of leaving my digicam in the car, I always haul it around with me. Although, I have been out shooting in the hot sun recently for a few hours. It doesn't really cool off here 'til September and I won't stop shooting because of that. Haven't really experienced any problems from this length of heat exposure.

    My owners manual states with CAUTION:
    Do not use or store the product in a hot or humid environment such as the glove compartment or trunk of a car. It may damage the product and batteries which may result in burns or injuries caused by heat, fire, explosion, or leaking battery fluid.

    Operating temperature: 0-40 degrees C.
    Operating humidity: 5-85% (noncondensing)

    I'd get it out of there ASAP...hope it's not damaged already!

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  4. #4

    I did read the manual when I got the camera, so I went back and rechecked it. It says don't leave in sealed car or in direct sunlight, this can cause a fire. I also learned that I should stop shooting if the camera starts to smoke. I'm looking for a temperature in degrees if thats available.

    Barb

    I haven't left my cameras in the car, but like you I like to have one with me when I'm traveling around.

    BTW Enjoyed your animations the other day. The one with the four flaps going around hypnotized me for 15 minutes!
    Steven Reno Guest

  5. #5

    Steven,

    It's 32-104 degrees Fahrenheit, that's what 0-40 Celsius is. Sorry, I didn't know either until I found this <http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm> handy link on Google.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  6. #6

    Steven,

    Glad you haven't left your camera in the car, I misunderstood your original question.

    I'm having a blast making those animations...thanks!

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  7. #7

    Barb,

    Just for the fun of it: F=C*9/5+32
    You can also figure this way:
    double C, take away 10% from the result and add 32...

    Juergen
    JuergenDirrigl Guest

  8. #8

    Juergen and Chuck,

    Thanks for the conversion lesson, that's a new one for me. I never was very good with math...guess art and math don't mix well in my brain.

    :-)

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  9. #9

    Barb, you aren't alone ;)

    only Math i know is how much I gotta save for new toys ;)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  10. #10

    Barb

    Thanks for the info. 104 degrees, I thought it would be a lot higher. I'm glad I asked. Maybe will try using a cooler with blue-ice to keep the camera and case dry and cool.

    Steve
    Steven Reno Guest

  11. #11

    Guess we're proof that math and art don't mix...

    Oh great, math and art don't mix. Being an engineer, I'm pretty good at math. That explains my complete lack of artistic talent. ;)

    Dan
    DS Nelson Guest

  12. #12

    D.S NELSON

    Your post got my attention because when I left college I worked as an engineer for Fluor Corp. and thirty some years later I'm an artist leaving my slide rule knowledge to go to waste. When I've taken watercolor workshops of the men in the groups about 50% were former engineers followed closely by architechs. The secret: find your right brain. (

    Steve
    Steven Reno Guest

  13. #13

    A long time ago I walked accross the State of Texas. Seems I must have been invisible or something...or at least my thumb must have been. Geeze Chuck, were you one of those that drove right on by ?
    Jodi Frye Guest

  14. #14

    Jodi, I would most certainly have stopped!

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  15. #15

    I knew you'd say that....now ;)