Professional Web Applications Themes

O.T. Totally weird message - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I just received this message. What's weird is that pretty much everyone I know on this board was the recipient as well. Do any of you know where it came from, did anybody else received it ? What's (or who's) vom.. ? Copy of the message................... -------------------------------------- Attention: [i've removed all personnal information] A Virus was found in an Email message sent to you. This Email scanner intercepted it and stopped the entire message before it reached you. The Virus was reported to be: I-Worm.Swen Please contact your I.T support personnel with any queries regarding this policy. The message sent ...

  1. #1

    Default O.T. Totally weird message

    --------------------------------------

    Attention:
    [i've removed all personnal information]

    A Virus was found in an Email message sent to you.
    This Email scanner intercepted it and stopped the entire message
    before it reached you.

    The Virus was reported to be:

    I-Worm.Swen

    Please contact your I.T support personnel with any queries regarding this
    policy.

    The message sent to you had the following envelope:

    MAIL FROM: com
    RCPT TO:
    [AGAIN, SAME INFO REMOVED]

    <
    .... and with the following headers:

    From: "Postmaster" <net>
    To: "net client" <com>
    Subject: Undelivered Message
    Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:39:1

    The original message is kept in:

    mail.vom.com:/var/spool/qmailscan/quarantine

    where the VOM Support can further diagnose it.

    The Email scanner reported the following when it scanned that message:

    ---

    ---avp results ---
    Using multi-path request
    Account information:
    /var/spool/qmailscan/mail.vom.com10676327089665/1067632741.10241-0.mail.vom.com suspicion:
    Exploit.IFrame.FileDownload
    /var/spool/qmailscan/mail.vom.com10676327089665/duyevcn.exe infected: I-Worm.Swen

    Test result: Known viruses were detected
    Test completed

    ---

    Ray Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: O.T. Totally weird message

    Ray,

    vom.com appears to be a small ISP in the Sonoma, California area. (in the
    San Francisco bay area, North)

    I did not receive the email.

    Did you copy/paste the text into your post? I ask because the English
    grammar seems a bit rough. Nothing that would raise an eyebrow in a forum
    post, but given your suspicion as to the origin of the message, it seems
    un-polished, to me.

    I suppose that the ISP vom.com could, acually, have intercepted a message
    addressed to you which contained a virus.

    This would be the first such example of this behavior of which I have ever
    been aware.

    Byron

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Byron,

    The only thing I did was to remove everyone's address (Leen, Beth, Jodi, Grant, everyone was there).
    I put a small message enclosed in brackets [ ] instead. Could it be one of Adobe's server ? I
    don't know where there are in the USA.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  4. #4

    Ray,

    That certainly is a strange message...I did not get one. Maybe you should check with the Webmaster of this site, I know a contact to him is in the Preferences settings.

    I don't know for sure, but I always assumed Adobe housed their servers in their large, newish building down the mountain from here in San Jose, California.

    Nancy
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    This morning I had a virus attack from a known worm;, I thought it is the same one that is quoted in the above message.
    The macafee virus library showes that the virus checks wether the puter has come online by contacting www.google.com.
    Chance has it that I, like presumably every one from this forum had a look at google to see how we are portrayed there in relation to the challenge. May be there is a link?

    Robert
    Schraven_Robert@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Ray, I never received any email like this. I did go on google.

    beth
    bethC@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I do go on Google several times a day, but lately, not for finding my name.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  8. #8

    I don't suppose it's Adobe. I don't know what to make of it... I'll call my ISP if I do receive
    another of these messages.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  9. #9

    Yahoo had an article this morning about a new virus that started
    spreading rapidly on Friday.

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

    "Ray" <com> wrote in message
    everyone I know on this board was
    did anybody else received it ?
    message
    regarding this
    message:
    /var/spool/qmailscan/mail.vom.com10676327089665/1067632741.10241-
    0.mail.vom.com suspicion:
    infected: I-Worm.Swen

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Would it be possible for you to post a link here ?

    Thanks!

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  11. #11

    I didn't get this, nor have I gotten notice of any virus intercepts since at least yesterday morning (when I last emptied the e-mail Trash folder.) Nothing in my Spam box on the Speakeasy site, either. ??? Ray, you're just special!! :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    http://story.news./news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=2&u=/nm/20031101/tc_nm/tech_internet_virus_dc

  13. #13

    Thanks Jwh, it wasn't my case.

    Ray Guest

  14. #14

    Beth,

    I'm on so many boards and forums, my e-mail address is the ideal target for every virus / spammer.
    But since you're on a Mac, I wouldn't worry too much (lucky you!)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  15. #15

    This one wasnot among todays' 7 virus attacks.
    They keep Norton extremely busy these days.

    Leen
    Leen_Koper@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Just ignore and delete everything that looks bogus. Anything that comes into your mail looking like somebody is trying to make something look 'official' is no good. Look at the expanded header, it will show that it isn't where you think it is from. Get rid of it.

    Just like telemarketing, If you don't initiate the call, or e-mail, just delete it.
    With caller ID, we never answer any calls that don't identify themselves. They never leave a message, so they prove they are Tmarketers.

    Jane
    Jane_Carter@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Jane, have you tried answering the phone and then asking to be removed from their calling list? The State of Washington has a law that requires telemarketers to honor this request, and they can be fined if they don't. We started doing this a couple of years ago. It was an annoyance right at first, but I doubt we've gotten three calls in the last year. Well... Except for the politicians, who have managed to get themselves exempted. We tried the caller ID thing, and it was still too annoying, because we still had to disrupt whatever we were doing to check the number. Getting off the list was a much better solution for us. I love the peace of not listening to the phone ring at all. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Sign up on the National Do Not Call list online by that name. It takes a couple of months to be effective.
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Well, it's better than nothing, Nancy, and I signed up, but there are so many exemptions--charities, politics, any product you've bought in the past X months, etc. that I wonder how much good it will really do.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Barbara,

    I signed up quite a while ago and my husband and I were just comparing notes and agreed the calls are starting to taper off...any is a blessing. We had gotten to the point of never answering our phone anymore, after our message plays, we wait to hear a voice before we pickup (telemarketers always hang up, or rather the computer does). Extremely irked by the frequency of their intruding phone calls we resorted to that practice at home...it is so wrong that we pay to have that phone for our convenience, not as an avenue to sell us something.

    Nancy
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast