Professional Web Applications Themes

OBDC Error while Accessing MS Access - ASP Database

Hi, I am using MS Access as a database in my Windows XP Professional Edition(SP 1). While connecting to MS Access from my ASP Page thru' ODBC, i am getting the following error: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005) [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data I'm sure that MS Access Database is not opened by any one/any other application. And, i give the grant to "Every One" to access the Database File. Still i ...

  1. #1

    Default OBDC Error while Accessing MS Access

    Hi,

    I am using MS Access as a database in my Windows XP
    Professional Edition(SP 1). While connecting to MS Access
    from my ASP Page thru' ODBC, i am getting the following
    error:

    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft
    Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It
    is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need
    permission to view its data

    I'm sure that MS Access Database is not opened by any
    one/any other application. And, i give the grant to "Every
    One" to access the Database File. Still i am getting this
    error.

    Any idea on this error?

    Thanks
    Sudhakar Sankar

    Sudhakar Sankar Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OBDC Error while Accessing MS Access

    Sudhakar Sankar wrote:
    > I'm sure that MS Access Database is not opened by any
    > one/any other application. And, i give the grant to "Every
    > One" to access the Database File. Still i am getting this
    > error.
    >
    > Any idea on this error?
    check the directory has write permossions

    --
    William Tasso - [url]http://WilliamTasso.com[/url]

    William Tasso Guest

  3. #3

    I already gave grant to "Every One" for that folder. But,
    Still i am getting this error

    Sudhakar Sankar

    Sudhakar Sankar Guest

  4. #4

    Sudhakar Sankar wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using MS Access as a database in my Windows XP
    > Professional Edition(SP 1). While connecting to MS Access
    > from my ASP Page thru' ODBC, i am getting the following
    > error:
    >
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft
    > Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It
    > is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need
    > permission to view its data
    >
    > I'm sure that MS Access Database is not opened by any
    > one/any other application. And, i give the grant to "Every
    > One" to access the Database File. Still i am getting this
    > error.

    The IUSR account is NOT in the Everyone group. You need to grant Change
    permissions (Read and Write) on that folder (not just the database file: the
    accounts need Change permissions for the folder containing the database file
    because they need to create, modify and delete the ldb lock file) to the
    IUSR_machine and IWAM_machine local user accounts. See
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url]

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows Guest

  5. #5

    Hi,

    I found the solution. We need to give the permission
    (grant) for "Temp" folder to "Every one" user. Now, i can
    able to run that fine.

    Thanks.

    Regards,

    S.Sudhakar Sankar.

    Sudhakar Sankar Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,

    Try from Win XP Admin. login the same. Or give permission
    to the dll which runs the www service. I think its
    isapi.dll.

    Yours,
    Sankar.B

    Sankar.B Guest

  7. #7

    "Bob Barrows" <reb_01501> wrote in message
    > The IUSR account is NOT in the Everyone group.
    How do you figure that? AFAIK, everyone is in the everyone group, which
    isn't even really a group.

    Ray at work

    Ray at Guest

  8. #8

    Ray at <%=sLocation%> wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows" <reb_01501> wrote in message
    >> The IUSR account is NOT in the Everyone group.
    >
    > How do you figure that? AFAIK, everyone is in the everyone group,
    > which isn't even really a group.
    >
    > Ray at work
    There have been instances reported in these newsgroups where permissions
    were granted to Everyone, and the problem persisted until permissions for
    IUSR were explicitly granted. I remember somebody at the time saying that
    IUSR was not necessarily in the Everyone group.

    Regardless, I should have said "The IUSR account is not always in the
    Everyone group"

    Bob

    Bob Barrows Guest

  9. #9

    > There have been instances reported in these newsgroups where permissions
    > were granted to Everyone, and the problem persisted until permissions for
    > IUSR were explicitly granted.
    I think the typical case here has been that Machine A's "Everyone" group has
    been given access to a share, and the user can't figure out why
    IUSR_MachineB can't get there. This is, of course, because Machine A's
    "Everyone" group applies to "everyone" on Machine A, not "everyone" in the
    world.

    However, I agree that it's likely that either by default or in certain
    scenarios, that IUSR is *not* included in the everyone group, or at least is
    not affected by its permissions unless explicitly applied to IUSR... I'm
    running IIS 6 everywhere, so can't check (because there is no "Everyone"
    group anymore, it seems). IUSR_ is only a member of "Guests" in IIS 6, by
    default.

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP Guest

  10. #10

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP wrote:
    >> There have been instances reported in these newsgroups where
    >> permissions were granted to Everyone, and the problem persisted
    >> until permissions for IUSR were explicitly granted.
    >
    > I think the typical case here has been that Machine A's "Everyone"
    > group has been given access to a share, and the user can't figure out
    > why IUSR_MachineB can't get there. This is, of course, because
    > Machine A's "Everyone" group applies to "everyone" on Machine A, not
    > "everyone" in the world.

    That's right! I WAS getting the two situations confused.

    Anyways, I question the wisdom of granting rights to Everyone when only a
    single user account needs permissions.

    Bob

    Bob Barrows Guest

  11. #11

    "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" <aaronTRASHaspfaq.com> wrote in message

    > However, I agree that it's likely that either by default or in certain
    > scenarios, that IUSR is *not* included in the everyone group, or at least
    is
    > not affected by its permissions unless explicitly applied to IUSR... I'm
    > running IIS 6 everywhere, so can't check (because there is no "Everyone"
    > group anymore, it seems). IUSR_ is only a member of "Guests" in IIS 6, by
    > default.

    Everyone has never been an actual group, as in an object container.

    Ray at work

    Ray at Guest

  12. #12

    > Anyways, I question the wisdom of granting rights to Everyone when only a
    > single user account needs permissions.
    Good point.

    Ray at Guest

  13. #13

    > Everyone has never been an actual group, as in an object container.

    Okay, let's not get into semantics too deep here. :-P

    I *used* to be able to select "Everyone" when applying permissions. I can
    no longer do that in 2003.

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP Guest

  14. #14

    > I *used* to be able to select "Everyone" when applying permissions. I can
    > no longer do that in 2003.
    Really? That's interesting. (I assumed that you were looking in the group
    listing in the mmc snap-in.) Are the other "groups" still there, like
    authenticated users, for example? I have zero 2003 servers here. I want
    one.

    Ray at work

    Ray at Guest

  15. #15

    I get this when trying to add the Everyone group.
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/img/everyone.gif[/url]

    Now, it might just be my machine, and it might be something I modified long
    ago. So I'm not 100% certain.

    In any case, let's revert to Bob's point. There is a reason groups or users
    or containers like "everyone" are not given permissions by default.

    > "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" <aaronTRASHaspfaq.com> wrote in message
    >

    > > I *used* to be able to select "Everyone" when applying permissions. I
    can
    > > no longer do that in 2003.
    >
    > Really? That's interesting. (I assumed that you were looking in the
    group
    > listing in the mmc snap-in.) Are the other "groups" still there, like
    > authenticated users, for example? I have zero 2003 servers here. I want
    > one.
    >
    > Ray at work

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP Guest

  16. #16

    Huh. Perhaps in 2003, "built in security principals" is not selected for
    search locations. I guess this doesn't have anything to do with ASP though,
    so it doesn't matter. Thanks for the screen shot. Interesting color.

    Ray at work