Professional Web Applications Themes

Object required - ASP Components

Hello, We have 2 web servers and 1 app server. We are getting Object required error once in 10 times but remaining times it works fine and great. I am unable to trace why this happens once in 10 times. Is it because the problem with lack of resources in web server Or Because of if cpu of web server has utilization of 100% is it be the cause of the problem. What could be the problem. Please suggest me. Any answer for this question is appreciated. waiting for reply...

  1. #1

    Default Object required

    Hello,

    We have 2 web servers and 1 app server. We are getting
    Object required error once in 10 times but remaining times
    it works fine and great.

    I am unable to trace why this happens once in 10 times.
    Is it because the problem with lack of resources in web
    server

    Or

    Because of if cpu of web server has utilization of 100% is
    it be the cause of the problem.

    What could be the problem. Please suggest me.

    Any answer for this question is appreciated.

    waiting for reply

    Rama Raju D.S Guest

  2. #2

    Hi

    We have a desgined a web application with ASP, VB, Oracle,
    Javascript. Ours is a three tier applicaton with the
    component proxy exported to IIS on the web server.

    We have the error 'object required' throwed inconsistently
    by ASP. After awhile, if we refresh the page the page is
    working fine. We have been having performance problems
    like Failureenlisting Resource Manger and MSDTC errros
    also.

    Any help on how to resolve this will be deeply appreciated.

    Regds
    Anupama
    Anupama Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Object Required

    You need to find out which object is the problem child. The hard part here
    is it is probably not the object being instantiated from your ASP script,
    but rather one used by one of your UI or business tier components.

    If you wrote all of the components, you can add in a stack trace to the
    error handler of your objects.

    Public Function Whatever()

    On Error Goto Foo

    Exit Function
    Foo:

    Error.Raise(Err.Number, "ThisClass.ThisMethod>>"& Err.Source,
    Err.Description)

    End Function

    You then have a way to track exactly where it is occuring and figure out
    why. If you have all of the source, you can debug from InterDev to VB by
    starting up the DLLs in VB prior to hitting debug in Interdev. The debug
    will walk into VB. You can also get the ASP variable values and play with a
    command line (or Windows) app to test your business and data tiers.

    The fact that the problem is intermident tells me there is some variable
    being sent that creates the condition. Of course, this is a guess, but it is
    the most common reason I have seen for this type of error. Debugging and
    setting watches, asserts and breakpoints is your best bet to find the
    culprit.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

    ****
    Think Outside the Box!
    ****
    "Anupama" <anupamaved> wrote in message
    > We have a desgined a web application with ASP, VB, Oracle,
    > Javascript. Ours is a three tier applicaton with the
    > component proxy exported to IIS on the web server.
    >
    > We have the error 'object required' throwed inconsistently
    > by ASP. After awhile, if we refresh the page the page is
    > working fine. We have been having performance problems
    > like Failureenlisting Resource Manger and MSDTC errros
    > also.
    >
    > Any help on how to resolve this will be deeply appreciated.
    >
    > Regds
    > Anupama

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) Guest

  5. #5

    Just an aside: make sure you have Option Explicit in all your VB code
    modules and also in the ASP pages.
    That may pick up something that you may not see when the code actually
    executes.

    NB: The 'Object Required' generally refers to forgetting to use 'Set' when
    assigning an object to a variable. Do A google search for the error (and
    number if you have it) and see if you can track it from there).

    It is possible to run all your DLL's in the Visual Basic environment (debug
    mode - make sure you have 'Stop on all errors' set in the options) whilst
    running the ASP in debug mode in Interdev. In this case, you should be able
    to see exactly which line fails.

    Chris.

    "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <NoSpamMgbworldcomcast.netRemuvThis> wrote in
    message news:ukT8a5QVDHA.2012TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    As there are many ways to write software, it is hard to nail the problem
    without seeing the particular application. Ultimately, there are two
    possibilities:

    1. Something in the OS code (I include IIS in this realm)
    2. Something in the code on top of the OS (your code and any third party
    DLLs)

    With intermitent problems, you have to trace the stack, which is not very
    easy in ASP and COM. If you have all of the non-OS code, you load up all of
    the DLLs into instances of Visual Studio 6 and start a debug from Visual
    InterDev and step through the code.

    The problem here is you might have successful runs everytime. Now, since you
    mention the app actually locks at some point, you will most likely have to
    check input as well as output variables. Example (very rough, so use as an
    idea only):

    Public Function DoSomething(MyInput As String) As String
    On Error Goto Foo

    Dim MyOutput As String

    'Input Logging
    LogValue("Input for DoSomething: " & MyInput & "(" &
    SomeGlobalVariableNecessaryForObject & ")")

    'Exit Logging
    LogValue("Output for DoSomething: " & MyInput & " - " & MyOutput)

    Exit Function
    Foo:
    LogValue("Had an error with " & MyInput & " As Input")

    'Error Handler here

    End Function

    You can then at least search the log for inputs and outputs, even if the
    error is not logged. Once you have a FUBAR, you can try to run the function
    with the same value(s) and see if it is repeatable. Until you can repeat the
    behavior, you know nothing. The SomeGlobalVariableNecessaryForObject is only
    necessary if you are using values not passed into the routine (a mistake in
    much of the software it is used in, but a possibility).

    The main thing is you have to find out what is causing the error. If you
    cannot do it through an error handler, you have to create your own log to
    trace when an error happens.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

    ****
    Think Outside the Box!
    ****
    > Thank You Father! for your inputs.
    >
    > I have incuded error handling in all the components and in
    > every method of the component. But when the error occurs
    > or object required is displayed nothing is logged in the
    > error log. However, other errors are logged in the file.
    >
    > My problem here is two fold
    > 1. how to catch the culprit when your com does not
    > respond. No point in adding error haldling in your com
    > component when the ASP is not able to access com or create
    > the object who will log the error?
    > 2. It is FOR SURE not a data problem, because when I
    > resubmit the page after a while,it gets submitted
    > successfully :(.
    >
    > Any clues now?
    >
    > Regds
    > Anupama

    Chris Barber Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks to both of you. I have included Option explicit,
    but somehow the error did not occur today.

    I could not reproduce the error while debugging either so
    no help in the trace also.

    Missed to mention a point earlier. In the actual
    production environment We have load balanced our web
    servers(we have two) while we have only one app server and
    one database server. our application proxy(COM+ package)
    exists in both the web servers. Could this create a
    problem. Remmeber we use VB for our components which are
    dlls in MTS.

    Regds
    Anupama

    Anupama Guest