Professional Web Applications Themes

Object to object snap - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, I would like to snap one objects frame to another frame, like top of bottum frame to bottom of top frame. Is this possible in IndesignCS ? I really hope so. Thanks, Geert...

  1. #1

    Default Object to object snap

    Stad_Roeselare@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Object to object snap

    No. That would make a good feature request. (Question: What do you do about non-rectangular paths--where would they snap?)
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    To there bounding box?
    Stad_Roeselare@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    While snapping is not an option (and I agree that it would be nice), I just want to be sure that you know you can achieve these kinds of positioning using the distribute options in the Align palette (Distribute by fixed amount of zero.)

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Excuse me but I really don't understand where ID makes this difficult.
    Maybe I'm missing something but to me it sounds like what you would like to do is add a horizontal guide and snap two objects to the guide. If you want to make sure they are aligned, just use align palette to align vertical centers. Furthermore, if you want to move the objects after they've snapped together and aligned, all you need to do at this point is group the objects so that they move at the same time without losing their place.
    Is this what you mean?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Gabriel,

    This is true, but why can't there be a smart guides system like in Illustrator? The example i gave is a bit basic.
    If i have all those guides in there it will get kinda messy.
    What i also do not get is when you try to align a guide with the object there is also no snap, so you have to set the guide, resnap the first object to the guide and then start to snap the second object. I think this could be done is less steps if this guide would snap to objects.
    The way i do it now is by using the transform palette, but that involves alot of copying and pasting.

    Anyway thanks all for the replys
    Stad_Roeselare@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    You can snap a guide to an object. You need to pull the guide out making
    sure that the curser aligns with the center of edged you want it to snap to.

    Also, keep in mind that ID treats guides as objects. You can have
    different guides for different purposes by putting them on their own
    layer and turning that layer on and off as needed.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    If i have all those guides in there it will get kinda messy

    You don't need to keep the guides there after they have served their use. Plus, you could always create your guides in a separate layer like Bob says.

    I think this could be done is less steps

    You're so right, you can also do this by using Edit>Step and repeat.
    Set your Vertical offset to the same value as the Height of the object and the Horizontal value to 0 (Zero). There will be no guides needed for this and you could repeat the object as many times as you like by setting the value of the "Repeat Count"
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    OK, thanks people for the answers, still i think it would be a welcome addition to have smart guides like in Illustrator.