Professional Web Applications Themes

Objects placement in SVG export - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I have and Illustrator file with 58 layers, each with massive amount of paths and text. We need to write out each layer as individual SVG files so that one of our applications can load them individually and dynamically. I have Illustrator CS, and have written a script that does just that, but I have noticed that when various SVG files are combined, the recombined objects do not line up correctly, as they were in the original. It seems that paths exported to SVG are defined by coordinates relative to something other than the absolute positioning within the original doent. ...

  1. #1

    Default Objects placement in SVG export

    I have and Illustrator file with 58 layers, each with massive amount of paths and text. We need to write out each layer as individual SVG files so that one of our applications can load them individually and dynamically.

    I have Illustrator CS, and have written a script that does just that, but I have noticed that when various SVG files are combined, the recombined objects do not line up correctly, as they were in the original.
    It seems that paths exported to SVG are defined by coordinates relative to something other than the absolute positioning within the original doent. It looks to me like the original doent properties (width, height, origin) are lost in the translation.

    Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Please note that for programming reasons, I am exporting the SVG with the “Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities” turned off – which should not affect how the objects are drawn.
    Marco_Zambetti@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Objects placement in SVG export

    I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for, but have you already tried to place an unfilled/unstroked rectangle in the same size as the dimensions of the doent? Of course on each single layer and aligned relative to the artboard.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for the suggestion, I have not tried it, but you are right: I believe it would work. My question, though, is more toward finding a programmatic solution (i.e. some export or doent setting that would allow me to fix all objects within an absolute reference).
    Marco_Zambetti@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Well, as creating a crop mark/crop area would not affect the SVG export as desired by you and as the alternative way to use the Save for Web command enabling the Export single (main) layers as (CSS) layers resp. files while the Export whole artboard option is additionally turned on (Image Size tab) also does not work as expected (although the preview makes you think so), I'm afraid you will have to go the complicated route described in post 1.

    Creating different template files for tasks like this one is the best I can suggest here. Sorry.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Marco and Kurt,

    Would it not be possible to set the crop marks/area, or just an unfilled/unstroked rectangle in one otherwise empty layer and then include that layer in the script?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    This or something similar could also be done, Jacob.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest