Professional Web Applications Themes

Obscure compatibility question: "NAPIS" & VPC - Mac Applications & Software

The senior services agency I volunteer at in southern Michigan has a Mac workstation for putting out a newsletter and other publications. The woman who's using it also has a PC in her office and could switch all of her tasks to the Mac except for some specialized software called NAPIS,the National Aging Program Information System, which appears to be a kind of database application for keeping records on senior services stuff and reporting to higher agencies. In our center's application, one machine runs a server, the others are clients. Anyone heard of this or know if it can be ...

  1. #1

    Default Obscure compatibility question: "NAPIS" & VPC

    The senior services agency I volunteer at in southern Michigan has a Mac
    workstation for putting out a newsletter and other publications. The
    woman who's using it also has a PC in her office and could switch all of
    her tasks to the Mac except for some specialized software called
    NAPIS,the National Aging Program Information System, which appears to be
    a kind of database application for keeping records on senior services
    stuff and reporting to higher agencies. In our center's application, one
    machine runs a server, the others are clients. Anyone heard of this or
    know if it can be emulated?
    I recognize the question might first be asked of some higher government
    agency or the originator of the software. But I can speculate about the
    answers I'll get, and that's why I thought I'd pose the question here
    first.

    --
    Bob Ball
    If you want to think positive thoughts, surround yourself with positive people.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Obscure compatibility question: "NAPIS" & VPC

    You could probably use VirtualPC to do it. I have yet to find anything that
    won't run in VirtualPC.

    Tim Guest

  3. #3

    Garmin's map program doesn't do very well in VPC5 running win98 -- it's
    slow, and loading firmware upgrades and maps to a GPS is slower -- and
    I couldn't get the motorola cellphone sync program to load in it. I
    should try vpc6, tho I'm not ready to afford upgrading Windows at the
    same time.
    It's time to at least ask the distributor of the center's version of
    NAPIS.
    Thanks for the response.

  4. #4

    Default Does Access run ok on VPC? (Was obscure compability question...)

    In a previous post, I asked if anyone had heard of using NAPIS, software
    used by organizations which provide services to the elderly, on Virtual
    PC.
    I posed the question here thinking I wouldn't get much help from the
    software company. And they have no knowledge of anyone trying to run
    NAPIS on VPC. But it appears it may be some kind of Microsoft Access
    template. Anyone have experience running Access on VPC, since it's not a
    part of Office X?
    I see a thread on Macintouch dealing with Access on Macintouch even as I
    write, but not with the specific question.

    This is part of my original post:

  5. #5

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:57:17 -0400, Bob Ball
    <nope.net> wrote:

    Can't speak from direct experience with Access, but all other
    Microsoft products seem to work just fine under VPC, including Wind
    Doze itself.

    Any chance that you could get in touch with someone local who has a
    Powerbook with VPC, who could try it out just to see if it works? If
    you don't know anyone personally, you might try getting in touch with
    a local users group and have them put the question to their
    membership.

    =IML=

    Remove the "removethis" to reply

    ** Help stop Internet SPAM! Join the **
    ** Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail **
    ** (CAUCE). Visit http://www.cauce.org **
    Ira Guest