Professional Web Applications Themes

Obscure Perl modules - Debian

Hi, I'm still fairly new to Debian and am trying to find my way around the system. I've got some gripes about the naming practice and poor doentation of Perl modules. As an example, I started out today to find a package which I have used a lot on my W2K system, named DBD::XBase. It's an excellent interface to DBase-style files, including FoxPro. After some heavy googling, I finally located the libxbase-perl package on [url]http://packages.debian.org/stable/interpreters/libxbase-perl.html[/url] and suspected, mostly because of the source code name, that this indeed was my trusty old friend. A successful apt-get install libxbase-perl finally confirmed my ...

  1. #1

    Default Obscure Perl modules

    Hi,
    I'm still fairly new to Debian and am trying to find my way around the
    system. I've got some gripes about the naming practice and poor
    doentation of Perl modules. As an example, I started out today to
    find a package which I have used a lot on my W2K system, named
    DBD::XBase. It's an excellent interface to DBase-style files, including
    FoxPro.

    After some heavy googling, I finally located the libxbase-perl package
    on [url]http://packages.debian.org/stable/interpreters/libxbase-perl.html[/url] and
    suspected, mostly because of the source code name, that this indeed was
    my trusty old friend. A successful apt-get install libxbase-perl finally
    confirmed my suspicions.

    However, I wonder if there is any correspondence between a package name
    such as it appears on say, CPAN, and the Debian package names? Shouldn't
    the original module name be referred to on the package page?

    Secondly, what is the easiest way to obtain doentation on any package
    residing on packages.debian.org? The abovementioned url was certainly
    not very helpful with a link to the plain old doentation. In this
    example, just a link to
    [url]http://search.cpan.org/author/JANPAZ/DBD-XBase-0.234/lib/XBase.pm[/url] would
    have gone a long way. Ideally, any doentation following the original
    package should be directly accessible from packages.debian.org.

    regards,
    --
    Leif Biberg Kristensen
    [url]http://solumslekt.org/[/url]

    Leif B. Kristensen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Obscure Perl modules

    Thus spake Leif B. Kristensen:
    [url]http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-package_names[/url]
    > Secondly, what is the easiest way to obtain doentation on any package
    > residing on packages.debian.org? The abovementioned url was certainly
    > not very helpful with a link to the plain old doentation. In this
    > example, just a link to
    > [url]http://search.cpan.org/author/JANPAZ/DBD-XBase-0.234/lib/XBase.pm[/url] would
    > have gone a long way. Ideally, any doentation following the original
    > package should be directly accessible from packages.debian.org.
    Install the package and read the doentation.

    --
    Nathan Poznick <poznickconwaycorp.net>

    Romance: the seduction of someone's mind, to make them feel that they
    are the most special person in the world.

    Nathan Poznick Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:29:24 -0500, Nathan Poznick
    <poznickconwaycorp.net> wrote:
    >Thus spake Leif B. Kristensen:
    >> However, I wonder if there is any correspondence between a package name
    >> such as it appears on say, CPAN, and the Debian package names? Shouldn't
    >> the original module name be referred to on the package page?
    >
    >[url]http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-package_names[/url]
    >
    >> Secondly, what is the easiest way to obtain doentation on any package
    >> residing on packages.debian.org? The abovementioned url was certainly
    >> not very helpful with a link to the plain old doentation. In this
    >> example, just a link to
    >> [url]http://search.cpan.org/author/JANPAZ/DBD-XBase-0.234/lib/XBase.pm[/url] would
    >> have gone a long way. Ideally, any doentation following the original
    >> package should be directly accessible from packages.debian.org.
    >
    >Install the package and read the doentation.
    Ahem. So, in order to find one package of interest, I should install a
    random number of packages and read the doentation afterwards? Or,
    maybe I could run an

    apt-get install *

    and be finished with it once and for all?

    Thank you for a really imaginative suggestion.

    regards,

  4. #4

    On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:43:12AM +0100, Richard Downer wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:11:11 +0200, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
    > > However, I wonder if there is any correspondence between a package name
    > > such as it appears on say, CPAN, and the Debian package names?
    >
    > Most Perl packages in Debian are named based upon the CPAN package name.
    > Some examples:
    > DBD::Pg -> libdbd-pg-perl
    > Digest::MD5 -> libdigest-md5-perl
    > and so on.
    >
    > There are some exceptions, but in general for a CPAN package X::Y you can
    > try "apt-get install libx-y-perl".
    Yes, this is what you do. If that doesn't work try apt-cache search
    'name' to ensure that the package doesn't exist and then install it from
    CPAN

    I do agree with the OP that the naming convention is far from obvious
    and caused me a bit of stress for a while.

    --
    [url]http://gnuru.org[/url]
    For the Linux geek in all of us

    Paul Talacko Guest

  5. #5

    Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm still fairly new to Debian and am trying to find my way around the
    > system. I've got some gripes about the naming practice and poor
    > doentation of Perl modules. As an example, I started out today to
    > find a package which I have used a lot on my W2K system, named
    > DBD::XBase. It's an excellent interface to DBase-style files, including
    > FoxPro.
    >
    > After some heavy googling, I finally located the libxbase-perl package
    > on [url]http://packages.debian.org/stable/interpreters/libxbase-perl.html[/url] and
    > suspected, mostly because of the source code name, that this indeed was
    > my trusty old friend. A successful apt-get install libxbase-perl finally
    > confirmed my suspicions.
    >
    > However, I wonder if there is any correspondence between a package name
    > such as it appears on say, CPAN, and the Debian package names? Shouldn't
    > the original module name be referred to on the package page?
    What I always do, which may or may not be the best way, is go to
    [url]http://packages.debian.org[/url], then search for the module file name in
    "Search the Contents of Packages" (make sure "packages that contain
    files named like this" is checked). For example, in your case, I'd be
    looking for "DBD/XBase.pm".

    Keith G. Murphy Guest