Professional Web Applications Themes

? OCR with Epson 3200 scaner and OS X? - Mac Applications & Software

I tried Omnipage OS X but it won't recognize the Epson 3200, neither on Firewire nor USB. And "Working papers" says it needs a TWain driver, but the Epson doesn't have one. The scanner works perfectly for image scans. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default ? OCR with Epson 3200 scaner and OS X?

    I tried Omnipage OS X but it won't recognize the Epson 3200, neither on
    Firewire nor USB.

    And "Working papers" says it needs a TWain driver, but the Epson doesn't
    have one.

    The scanner works perfectly for image scans.

    Thanks.
    ^ Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ? OCR with Epson 3200 scaner and OS X?

    In article <charter.net>, ^ <surfctant>
    wrote:

    Epson has had a TWAIN driver for OS X for at least a year.

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=y
    es&oid=14548&infoType=Downloads

    http://tinyurl.com/m97i

    Although the page says it's for the Perfection 1250, the TWAIN packages
    will work with any Epson scanner.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    04 Sep 2003 12:08 PM Michelle Steiner wrote:

    Silly me, thinking "1250" meant "1250" :-)

    But it doesn't work, anyhow :-(

    Working Papers recognizes that there is an Epson Twain Driver, but when
    I try to scan, it tells me that no scanner was found. The same thing
    happens whether the scanner is connected with Firewire or with USB.

    Drat. I really, really hate the idea of having to go back to OS 9.2
    just to scan.

    Thanks for the link. It was worth a try.
    ^ Guest

  4. #4

    wrote:

    > Silly me, thinking "1250" meant "1250" :-)[/ref]

    Well, for some reason they listed scanners separately, and every scanner
    on the list that I checked showed the same TWAIN driver for the same
    version of the OS. Even my 1200U, which is not on the list, works with
    that driver.

    If you're using 10.1, you need an earlier version of the driver, but
    it's there too.

    Can the OCR read TIFF files? If so, maybe you can scan and save as TIFF
    with another application and then read it with Working Papers.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  5. #5

    > Well, for some reason they listed scanners separately, and every

    Thanks for the follow-up, Michelle.

    I did some more digging on the Epson site and they do say that the 5.75A
    driver you pointed me at is the one for the Epson 3200 scanner.

    Unfortunately, that still doesn't work with OCR software. I have now
    tried it with Working Papers, Omnipage X and ReadIris 7.

    The programs recognize that there is a TWAIN driver, but when I try to
    scan they tell me they can't find the scanner. If I follow that by
    trying to scan in an image in PhotoShop, though, I have no problem.

    That tells me that I could probably scan in PS then import the images
    into the OCR software, but that's a last resort. I'm off to talk to the
    OCR software folks to see if they can help me.

    Thanks again.
    ^ Guest

  6. #6

    PS: The Epson site says the driver supports "10.2 to 10.2.3" - can 10.2.
    6 which I'm running be that different?

    05 Sep 2003 09:12 AM ^ wrote:

    > Thanks for the follow-up, Michelle.
    >
    > I did some more digging on the Epson site and they do say that the 5.
    > 75A driver you pointed me at is the one for the Epson 3200 scanner.
    >
    > Unfortunately, that still doesn't work with OCR software. I have now
    > tried it with Working Papers, Omnipage X and ReadIris 7.
    >
    > The programs recognize that there is a TWAIN driver, but when I try to
    > scan they tell me they can't find the scanner. If I follow that by
    > trying to scan in an image in PhotoShop, though, I have no problem.
    >
    > That tells me that I could probably scan in PS then import the images
    > into the OCR software, but that's a last resort. I'm off to talk to
    > the OCR software folks to see if they can help me.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >[/ref]
    ^ Guest

  7. #7

    In article <charter.net>, ^ <surfctant>
    wrote:

    It means that when they developed the driver, 10.2.3 was the current
    version.

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  8. #8

    In article <charter.net>, ^ <surfctant>
    wrote:

    I had a similar problem with my Stylus CX5200 when I first got it. Have
    you rebooted since installing the 5.75A driver? That turned out to be my
    problem - the Epson software didn't tell me a reboot was needed.

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR - http://www.ircandy.com/doug/
    Idiot's Guide to Mac Cases - http://www.ircandy.com/maccases/

  9. #9

    05 Sep 2003 05:03 PM Doug Brown wrote:

    You're right, but I eventually thought of it myself and it didn't help.
    None of the three programs work.

    Further, neither does Apple's "Image Capture" so it has to be a dud
    Epson driver.

    I've sent them a letter (they don't accept emails) and expect to
    eventually get an answer (probably telling me they have no plans to fix
    it :-).

    I could do the OCR in Classic mode, but I hate Classic ...

    Thanks.
    ^ Guest

  10. #10

    In article <charter.net>, ^ <surfctant>
    wrote:

    Image capture works for me with the driver, and so does
    GraphicConverter. I just tested them to make sure.

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  11. #11

    In article <charter.net>, ^ <surfctant>
    wrote:

    You did install the 5.75A driver and not the 5.73A driver, correct? Only
    5.75A will work with Image Capture.

    Doug

  12. #12

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Doug Brown <mac.com.invalid> wrote:

    I was using the 5.73A driver with Image capture before I upgraded to the
    5.75 driver.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  13. #13

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > I was using the 5.73A driver with Image capture before I upgraded to the
    > 5.75 driver.[/ref]

    Ah ok, I must be mistaken. It's funny, because 5.73A and 5.75A can
    coexist on the same machine, and at least for the CX5200, Epson tells me
    that 5.75A is required for Image Capture. Maybe it's different for other
    models.

    Doug

  14. #14

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Doug Brown <mac.com.invalid> wrote:

    One difference between the two is that 5.75A requires OS X 10.2 and
    later; 5.73A requires OS X 10.1.2 and later.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  15. #15

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    Ahhhh yes, I didn't realize that. I do know that I have to have 5.73A
    installed to make Scan to File work. Epson's weird, why can't they just
    give us one single driver to install and make everything work like all
    the other manufacturers? ;)

    Doug

  16. #16

    > Image capture works for me with the driver, and so does

    Are you running 10.2.6?
    ^ Guest

  17. #17

    wrote:

    > Are you running 10.2.6?[/ref]

    Yes.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  18. #18

    Doug Brown <mac.com.invalid> wrote:

    > Ahhhh yes, I didn't realize that. I do know that I have to have 5.73A
    > installed to make Scan to File work. Epson's weird, why can't they just
    > give us one single driver to install and make everything work like all
    > the other manufacturers? ;)[/ref]

    I have a related problem with an Epson 1660 scanner. Running real 9.2
    all the stuff like Smart Panel, Scan to OCR, etc. works fine. Running
    10.2.6 with 5.75A, scanning works fine. However, running in Classic
    under 10.2.6, nothing can see the scanner. It says something like
    "Scanner not visible on bus" (forget the exact wording). It means I
    have to reboot into 9.2 to use Scan to OCR. Will 5.73A fix that and
    can it coexist with 5.75A?

    Brendan.
    Brendan Guest

  19. #19

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:26:06 -0500, surfctant wrote
    (in message <charter.net>):

    Which driver did you load? Epson _had_ an older driver on their site, which
    was better by far than the one shipped with the machine. That one loaded
    TWAIN into your system. In late August Epson posted a new driver and removed
    the old one. (At least I couldn't find it when I went looking, it was a good
    thing I hadn't deleted my old copy of the installer) The new driver does
    _not_ use TWAIN, and in fact deletes the TWAIN stuff. OmniPage _used_ to work
    fine with the old driver, but simply doesn't see the scanner with the new
    one. As the scanner itself still works (if you take the time to uninstall the
    old driver _before_ installing the new one...) you can just scan in pix and
    feed the pix to OmniPage. But it seems that so long as this driver is
    installed, OmniPage is _not_ going to be able to access that scanner.

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

    Charles Guest