Professional Web Applications Themes

odd, can someone explain this? - Mac Applications & Software

OK, so I'm toying with iMovie, not experienced at digital video editing, and I wanted to take a handful of mpg movie clips and string them together into one long movie. Well, I discovered that iMovie won't handle mpg's apparently. When I tried to import, the mpg files were grayed out. I could import jpg's easily. After reading some doentation, it seems it wants Quicktime movies. Just for the heck of it I changed one of the file extensions to ..mov but that didn't work. So I wondered what apps I might have to convert mpg to mov and I ...

  1. #1

    Default odd, can someone explain this?

    OK, so I'm toying with iMovie, not experienced at digital video editing,
    and I wanted to take a handful of mpg movie clips and string them together
    into one long movie.
    Well, I discovered that iMovie won't handle mpg's apparently. When I
    tried to import, the mpg files were grayed out. I could import jpg's
    easily. After reading some doentation, it seems it wants Quicktime
    movies. Just for the heck of it I changed one of the file extensions to
    ..mov but that didn't work.
    So I wondered what apps I might have to convert mpg to mov and I opened
    GraphicConverter for the heck of it. Now, its conversion is messy: it
    exports every single frame as a separate .moov file (what is a .moov
    anyway? I understand its quicktime but why the extra 'o'?)

    And so of course I could import each of those single .moov video frames
    into iMovie and organize them into the timeline, very tedious with that
    many frames, but hey...thats video editing. (of course I lose the audio
    track, so I'll need a real mpg to mov converter for this).

    But here's the weird thing: before I even got as far as converting those
    frames, I noticed that the mere act of opening the mpg's in
    GraphicConverter suddenly allowed the iMovie importer to "see" the mpg's
    and import them. (this is without doing *any* conversion, I just merely
    opened the file in GraphicConverter and did nothing else except switch
    over to iMovie and go to Import)
    The mpg's could then be imported (without audio unfortunately) and spliced
    together like I wanted. But why in the world does that work?

    Expletive Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: odd, can someone explain this?

    Expletive Deleted <cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

    Don't know about the odd behaviour described later but the above problem
    is fairly easily solved with mpgtxwrap - use it's Demux function (I
    leave everything there at default) to split mpg file into mv1 file (you
    can import it into iMoveie straight away) and mp1 file. The mp1 file put
    into iTunes and convert it (I think under 'advanced' menu) either into
    mp3 or aiff file (select it first). Input this file into iMovie and when
    you put both the mv1 and the mp3/aiff file ontp the timeline, you can
    export it as a mov file (that caan be re-imported back into iMovie as
    one file with the sound integrated back in.

    If you search for mpgtx and or demux you can find all sorts of info on
    this problem/process.

    --
    Regards,

    Karel
    Karel Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Karel Koskuba wrote:

    > Don't know about the odd behaviour described later but the above problem
    > is fairly easily solved with mpgtxwrap - use it's Demux function (I
    > leave everything there at default) to split mpg file into mv1 file (you
    > can import it into iMoveie straight away) and mp1 file. The mp1 file put
    > into iTunes and convert it (I think under 'advanced' menu) either into
    > mp3 or aiff file (select it first). Input this file into iMovie and when
    > you put both the mv1 and the mp3/aiff file ontp the timeline, you can
    > export it as a mov file (that caan be re-imported back into iMovie as
    > one file with the sound integrated back in.
    >
    > If you search for mpgtx and or demux you can find all sorts of info on
    > this problem/process.
    >[/ref]

    Thanks...that solved about 80% of my problem:

    I demux'd just fine and created the mp1 and mv1 files. Unfortunately
    iMovie would not import the mv1 and iTunes would not import the mp1. I
    played with the Import prefs in itunes, using different decoders (mp3,
    aiff, wav) all to no avail, the mp1 file remained grayed out.

    However I noted that mpgtx has a 'join' function and so I simply joined
    the mpg files as I wanted, soundtrack and all left intact.
    (the only reason I say it solved 80% of my problem rather than 100% is
    that it ed up the last 5 of the 8 mpgs and the video is offset
    somehow, successive rows in the video frame and shifted left so all the
    scenes are "diagonal" and blocky. Its probably just some setting, and
    I'll keep messing with it until it gets it right...actually I think it
    might be some incompatibility between the the first 3 mpg's, which are
    part of a set, and the last 5, which are part of a different set.)

    Expletive Guest

  4. #4

    Expletive Deleted <cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

    A guess: is it possible that you originally tried to import the mpegs with
    iMovie 1 or 2, and then inadvertantly used iMovie 3 after opening them in
    GraphicConverter. I believe I read yesterday that MPEG import was introduced
    in iMovie 3.

    I'm interested in the tips in this thread (in particular the demuxing
    suggestion - thanks for that) since I was looking up the MPEG import
    information because a friend wants me to make a movie out of a bunch of
    smaller movies. I was very hesitant, since the movies come off a digital
    camera which emits movies straight to MPEG. I'm expecting plenty of issues
    with conversion and sorting, as the OP describes later in this thread.

    Nothing like my old DV camera - plug it in the Firewire port and the rest is
    child's play.

    --
    *--------------------------------------------------------*
    | ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |

  5. #5

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Heath Raftery wrote:

    > A guess: is it possible that you originally tried to import the mpegs with
    > iMovie 1 or 2, and then inadvertantly used iMovie 3 after opening them in
    > GraphicConverter. I believe I read yesterday that MPEG import was introduced
    > in iMovie 3.
    >[/ref]

    hrm...I have only 1 copy of iMovie, and its version 3.0.3...?

    Expletive Guest