I just did a RH9.0 install on a smal system, and in checking function
note that the KDE and Gnome CD players report that a resource is in use.
I checked usage, the CD is available, cdda2wav and readcd can read it.
The sound is available, the KDE sound player will play wav files fine.
The "play" and "rec" command line utilities work.

I do note that autorun was active, and killed that. They moved it in the
menues since the last time I cared, I have to take it out of the options
instead of killing the process. Then I checked with lsof, nothing seems
to be using the sound hardware.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Ripping CDs to disk and playing them
there is not what the final user of this system will want!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsentmr.com> CTO, TMR Associates
this we should do freely and generously.