I've read recommendations by forum members and by Microsoft that we should
avoid installing Office on a Web server and using it as an automation
object. Unstable, unpredictable and could even crash the server.

So, I'm looking for alternatives. The Office Web Components from Microsoft
sound very interesting. It appears they can be installed on the Web server,
and operate completely independently of Office. Are there any issues with
using these components such as slow performance or the instability related
to Office itself?

Bill