Professional Web Applications Themes

Office X - Mac Applications & Software

I'm considering purchasing Office X Am I limited to one installation or can i put it on my desktop at home and my notebook for travel? Ed...

  1. #1

    Default Office X

    I'm considering purchasing Office X

    Am I limited to one installation or can i put it on my desktop at home
    and my notebook for travel?

    Ed
    Ed Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Office X

    In article <comcast.giganews.com>,
    Ed <com.invalid> wrote:

    I think you will find your licence does not allow you to do this.
    There's nothing physically stopping you from doing it, but technically
    you need to buy two licences to do this.

    Tim

    Tim Guest

  3. #3

    In article <7dn*chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
    Tim Cutts <greenend.org.uk> wrote:

    > I think you will find your licence does not allow you to do this.
    > There's nothing physically stopping you from doing it, but technically
    > you need to buy two licences to do this.[/ref]

    Actually, I believe the Office v.X license allows you to install it on
    one desktop and one laptop as long as you don't use both copies
    simultaneously.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  4. #4

    In article <stanford.edu>,
    Eric Albert <edu> wrote:

    >> I think you will find your licence does not allow you to do this.
    >> There's nothing physically stopping you from doing it, but technically
    >> you need to buy two licences to do this.[/ref]
    >
    >Actually, I believe the Office v.X license allows you to install it on
    >one desktop and one laptop as long as you don't use both copies
    >simultaneously.[/ref]

    Note: The Student/Teacher edition gives you THREE serial numbers
    to use.

    Second note: Amazon.com is selling the Student/Teacher edition for
    $99. And they're not asking you to provide ID.....
    --
    -
    -Roger Tang, gwangungu.washington.edu, Artistic Director PC Theatre

  5. #5

    sounds good

    BUT

    The student/teache license is for student/teacher use only or for a
    parent helping a student. It is not for general use. And although I
    have both a student and a teacher in my home, we all will be using it
    and according to the license i should not be.

    Ed
    Ed Guest

  6. #6

    Ed <com.invalid> wrote:

    The correct answer - which you haven't been getting - is that unless MS
    has changed the license since the original release, you are licensed to
    install it on your desktop and notebook. The serial / network scheme
    used will prevent you from using the same application on more than one
    computer if they are networked.
    Strider Guest

  7. #7

    In article <1g0tttb.v9n1yd1i0tj9eN%com>,
    com (Strider) wrote:

    > The correct answer - which you haven't been getting - is that unless MS
    > has changed the license since the original release, you are licensed to
    > install it on your desktop and notebook. The serial / network scheme
    > used will prevent you from using the same application on more than one
    > computer if they are networked.[/ref]

    Yjanks. That's what I needed to know

    Ed
    Ed Guest

  8. #8

    Ed <com.invalid> wrote:

    For what its worth, here is a workaround from my archives:

    Despite the title, this isn't a tip about software piracy. I run MS Word
    on my Tibook and on my desktop G4. One great advantage of OSX is that,
    once launched, you just leave your apps running until you need them.
    With virtual memory and lots of RAM, there is little reason not to.

    However, if I leave the same serial number install of MS Word running on
    both machines then Microsoft believes that I am a pirate and insists on
    deactivating one of the running programs. They do this by an illegal and
    unauthorized use of the bandwidth on my network.

    Read the rest of the article for an AppleScript that disables this
    check...

    [Editor's note: I debated a while before deciding to publish this hint,
    but the presence of the network serial number check does make it harder
    to use Office if you have two machines -- even if you never break the
    terms of the license agreement regarding simultaneous use. I do not
    condone nor support software piracy, but I do believe that I should be
    able to use the software as I wish within the terms of the agreement. In
    addition, this hack has been published on many of the other Mac sites,
    so this isn't new information...]

    Create the following AppleScript:

    try
    set theConfirmation to (do shell script
    "/sbin/ipfw add 0 deny tcp from any to any 3464" password
    "MyPassword" with administrator privileges)
    set theConfirmation to (do shell script
    "/sbin/ipfw add 0 deny udp from any to any 2222" password
    "MyPassword" with administrator privileges)
    on error
    beep
    end try

    Obviously, "MyPassword" has to be your password.

    The best uses of the script are:

    1. Make it a compiled script and then run it via Script menu as
    needed.
    2. Make it a "run only" and "don't show startup screen" script, and
    then add it to your startup items.
    older Guest

  9. #9

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    older one <com> wrote:

    > For what its worth, here is a workaround from my archives:[/ref]

    FWIW, there is another work around. We keep Office X on the desk top
    machine and have moved our old Word 5.1a to notebook to run in Classic.

    Word X will open all 5.1a files without problem so things done on the
    portable can be moved eaisly to the desk top machine. But, going from
    Word X to 5.1a gives you all the formatting gibberish and that has to be
    cleared before the file is useful, but it is intact.
    clw@oblivion.world Guest

  10. #10

    R. Tang wrote:

    124.99 today...
    --
    h u g h c h a l A T e i r c o m D O T n e t
    hughchal Guest

  11. #11

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Ed wrote:

    My copy will work for multiple installs, but its an education institution
    release.

    Daniel Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Ed wrote:

    > sounds good
    >
    > BUT
    >
    > The student/teache license is for student/teacher use only or for a
    > parent helping a student. It is not for general use. And although I
    > have both a student and a teacher in my home, we all will be using it
    > and according to the license i should not be.
    >
    > Ed
    >[/ref]

    Yea, if you want to obey the law all that...

    Daniel Guest