Professional Web Applications Themes

Office X question - Mac Applications & Software

I've decided to upgrade from Office 98 to OfficeX. There's one feature I really need -- track changes. I don't want to presume that this feature has been retained in OfficeX so I'd really appreciate it if an OfficeX user could confirm this for me. Thanks. -- ca...

  1. #1

    Default Office X question

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Office X question

    In article <_P36b.11830$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    It's there. How well it works (by which I mean differences if any from
    Office 98) I can't say.

    --
    Hank Shiffman http://www.disordered.org
    Have Opinion, Will Travel org

  3. #3

    In article <fu-berlin.de>, Hank
    Shiffman <org> wrote:

    > It's there. How well it works (by which I mean differences if any from
    > Office 98) I can't say.[/ref]

    It's there. The functionality is unchanged from Office 98.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  4. #4

    In article <050920031117526146%com.invalid>,
    sbt <com.invalid> wrote:

    > > It's there. How well it works (by which I mean differences if any from
    > > Office 98) I can't say.[/ref]
    >
    > It's there. The functionality is unchanged from Office 98.[/ref]

    That's great. Thanks.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  5. #5

    In article <050920031117526146%com.invalid>,
    sbt <com.invalid> wrote:

    Office v.X appears to be a straight port of Office 98 on the Mac.
    They even share the same bugs.

    For example, using the caption and cross-reference feature to
    automatically number equations and figures has the same bug in 98 as
    it has in v.X. Namely the "insert only symbol and number" menu item
    option does not work in either version. This makes using this
    feature much more difficult to use than it should be. There were
    several service pack updates for Office 98, and there have now been
    five updates for v.X, and this bug has not been corrected in any of
    them. That's six years, same bug (and one that would seem to be
    easy to fix), and it is still with us.

    $.02 -Ron Shepard <--and some people wonder if open source
    software has any advantages
    Ron Guest

  6. #6

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>,
    Ron Shepard <comcast.net> wrote:

    > Office v.X appears to be a straight port of Office 98 on the Mac.
    > They even share the same bugs.
    >
    > For example, using the caption and cross-reference feature to
    > automatically number equations and figures has the same bug in 98 as
    > it has in v.X. Namely the "insert only symbol and number" menu item
    > option does not work in either version. This makes using this
    > feature much more difficult to use than it should be. There were
    > several service pack updates for Office 98, and there have now been
    > five updates for v.X, and this bug has not been corrected in any of
    > them. That's six years, same bug (and one that would seem to be
    > easy to fix), and it is still with us.[/ref]

    Fortunately, that's not one "feature" I really need. My word
    processing requirements are relatively simple -- mostly straightforward
    text and the "track changes" feature is about as complicated as it gets
    -- so I didn't have any major complaints about Word 98. I'm sort of glad
    that OfficeX will be very similar. At least I won't have to invest a lot
    of time re-learning things.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  7. #7

    In article <KqJ6b.220$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    > Fortunately, that's not one "feature" I really need. My word
    > processing requirements are relatively simple -- mostly straightforward
    > text and the "track changes" feature is about as complicated as it gets
    > -- so I didn't have any major complaints about Word 98. I'm sort of glad
    > that OfficeX will be very similar. At least I won't have to invest a lot
    > of time re-learning things.[/ref]

    When I wrote that paragraph I forgot, for some reason, about Office
    2001. There was the original release and at least one service pack
    update for Office 2001, and both of the versions had the same
    cross-reference bug in it than was in Office 98. The bug really has
    been there a long time. Over the past 5 or 6 years, I think I've
    written four or five letters to Microsoft explaining the problem and
    they have failed to fix it all this time.

    $.02 -Ron Shepard
    Ron Guest

  8. #8

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>,
    Ron Shepard <comcast.net> wrote:

    > When I wrote that paragraph I forgot, for some reason, about Office
    > 2001. There was the original release and at least one service pack
    > update for Office 2001, and both of the versions had the same
    > cross-reference bug in it than was in Office 98. The bug really has
    > been there a long time. Over the past 5 or 6 years, I think I've
    > written four or five letters to Microsoft explaining the problem and
    > they have failed to fix it all this time.[/ref]

    Are you saying that OfficeX is really more like Office 2001 than
    Office 98. If so, were there a lot of feature changes from 98 to 2001
    that I'll have to catch up with?
    Does it still have the "fast save" file corruption problem? I never
    used fast save anyway and never had a file corrupted this way with 98.
    If fast save is still there, I presume you can still cirvent it the
    way you did in 98.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  9. #9

    In article <Yj07b.3035$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    Yes, this is right.

    I don't remember many new features, but there were a lot of menu
    items that got moved around and other interface changes. I only
    used 2001 for a few months before v.X was released in November 2001
    and I switched to that.

    There are still file corruption problems. You should save old
    versions of files fairly frequently so that if things get corrupted,
    you can backstep and recover. Also, you sometimes have to save a
    doent in RTF form, then convert it back to Word format, to
    eliminate some kinds of corruption problems.

    All in all, MS Word is still a buggy, awkward, and hard to use
    program. If it weren't for its near-monopoly status, I can't
    believe that many people would tolerate it.

    $.02 -Ron Shepard
    Ron Guest

  10. #10

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>,
    Ron Shepard <comcast.net> wrote:

    Wow, that's a step back.
    What are the signs and symptoms when you should save a file in RTF?
    In your experience, how frequently do these corruption problems occur? I
    save my WP files often (every few minutes), which of course generates
    many temporary files. Are these sufficient for recovery from these
    corruption problems? Or are you recommending saving the file, then
    opening a new version with a new name? That could get tedious.
    I wonder if I should just stick to Office 98 in Classic.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  11. #11

    In article <mhf7b.3548$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    I don't know how to predict it in advance. I just save backup
    versions every once in a while to be on the safe side.

    Sometimes it can happen as often as several times a day.

    I usually save them on top of older backup versions, so I don't have
    lots of temporary files. Sometimes I will toggle back and forth
    between two different backup filenames.

    You lose whatever work you did after the last save and before the
    corruption occurred.

    This same thing happened in Office 98, Office 2001, and now in v.X.
    As near as I can tell, MS just ported the same bugs into the new
    versions.

    I think Word 5.1 was probably the most reliable version they made.
    It has been downhill since then. I like some of the features in the
    new versions, but on the other hand, the one feature that I actually
    would like to use (i.e. using cross references to number equations,
    tables, and figures) has a bug that prevents me from using it.

    $.02 -Ron Shepard
    Ron Guest

  12. #12

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>,
    Ron Shepard <comcast.net> wrote:

    > You lose whatever work you did after the last save and before the
    > corruption occurred.

    > This same thing happened in Office 98, Office 2001, and now in v.X.
    > As near as I can tell, MS just ported the same bugs into the new
    > versions.[/ref]

    I guess I've been lucky then, because I've never seen this in Word
    98. It's been pretty solid for me. It sounds like your doents are
    more complicated than mine if you're using tables and equations. I
    gather that there are more troubles with complex doents than the
    fairly simple text-only doents I usually deal with.
    Your strategy of saving to two separately-named files sounds like a
    good one, though. Just to make sure I have this straight, if corruption
    does occur, can I recover using one of the "Word Work" files that litter
    the hard disk? I've never had to do anything with them and have always
    regarded them as more of a nuisance than anything else.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest