Professional Web Applications Themes

OfficeX and mouse scroll wheel - Mac Applications & Software

I'm planning to migrate to OSX soon and am trying to figure out what to do about MS Office. I'm still using Office 98 and it works fine in Classic, so I may stick with that a while. Except for one problem -- my Logitech mouse scroll wheel won't scroll apps in Classic. I have installed the lastest OSX driver for the mouse but the Logitech manual acknowledges that scrolling won't work in Classic apps. (For that matter, it won't work with some OSX apps, like Appleworks.) They claim it depends on the app. This is a major bummer and ...

  1. #1

    Default OfficeX and mouse scroll wheel

    I'm planning to migrate to OSX soon and am trying to figure out what to
    do about MS Office. I'm still using Office 98 and it works fine in
    Classic, so I may stick with that a while. Except for one problem -- my
    Logitech mouse scroll wheel won't scroll apps in Classic. I have installed
    the lastest OSX driver for the mouse but the Logitech manual acknowledges
    that scrolling won't work in Classic apps. (For that matter, it won't work
    with some OSX apps, like Appleworks.) They claim it depends on the app.
    This is a major bummer and may be enough to get me to lay out the big
    bucks to upgrade to Office X -- *assuming* that it will respond to mouse
    scrolling. If anyone's using this combo -- or even another brand of mouse
    -- I'd sure appreciate hearing about the OfficeX performance in this
    regard.
    Regarding OfficeX -- does it have any of the "phone home" spyware that
    the PC side is saddled with?
    Thanks for any help.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OfficeX and mouse scroll wheel

    In article <0.1.3>, ca
    wrote:

    Nope. The Windows version doesn't send any identifiable information to
    Microsoft anyway, but the Mac version doesn't even go that far. It does
    check to see if another copy of Office v.X is running on your local
    network with the same serial number at the same time, but that's fair.
    It doesn't send any data to Microsoft at all.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  3. #3

    <ca> wrote:

    I have used the Kensington Expert/Turbo Mouse Pro with scroll wheel and
    now the Expert/Turbo Mouse 7 with scroll ring and they both seem to work
    with all the MS Office X apps except PowerPoint. It is extremely
    probable that the Logitech would also work. If an OS X app supports
    scrolling, it will generally do so with any USB device and with the
    stock Apple system software.

    No. The closest thing to spyware in the current Mac release is that it
    checks the local network for additional copies running at the same time
    with the same serial number. The license permits you to install a second
    copy on a portable and, as far as I can tell, both copies can run
    simultaneously on the same network, although thats not something I've
    done other than experimentally.
    Neill Guest

  4. #4

    In article <1fzjns7.1lrbzu5o9lzoyN%net>,
    net (Neill Massello) wrote:

    > No. The closest thing to spyware in the current Mac release is that it
    > checks the local network for additional copies running at the same time
    > with the same serial number. The license permits you to install a second
    > copy on a portable and, as far as I can tell, both copies can run
    > simultaneously on the same network, although thats not something I've
    > done other than experimentally.[/ref]

    Did you use Office 98 before? I'm wondering how different OfficeX is.
    I've spent a lot of time configuring Office 98 to my needs and I'm
    wondering how much work it's going to be to adapt to a new version.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest

  5. #5

    <ca> wrote:

    Except for the obvious differences in going from OS 9 to OS X, Office X
    is almost identical in features and interface to Office 2001. I used 98,
    but I really don't remember which changes were incorporated in the 2001
    version.

    In my experience, every new version of a Microsoft application,
    especially Word, takes a long time to configure, which ususally means
    turning off most of those new "features" that Microsoft seems to think
    everybody wants.
    Neill Guest