Professional Web Applications Themes

OfficeX won't install - Mac Applications & Software

Hi all, I've installed OSX (10.2.6) on a UFS volume and when I try to install OfficeX, the installer tells me it can't intall OfficeX on a network volume. My iMac is a simple work station. I'm not hooked up to a network--except, of course, the internet. Is there a way to fool the OfficeX installer into installing on this volume? Thank you. -- Cheers, GRGAUD transop at sympatico dot ca...

  1. #1

    Default OfficeX won't install

    --
    Cheers,
    GRGAUD

  2. #2

    Default Re: OfficeX won't install

    GRGAUD <post> wrote:

    But it's still a UFS volume. Try HFS+.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  3. #3

    GRGAUD wrote:

    You can't. UFS does not support resource fork (well, not directly...)
    and the rest of the software considers it to be a network volume (which
    in general do not support resource forks either).

    Advice: stick to the default (HFS+). It supports it all, and is faster.
    UFS is a relic from the past and is there for backward compatability,
    not forward compatability...

    Maarten
    Maarten Guest

  4. #4

    In article <1g1hows.1pj1nti1q6xm4oN%com>,
    com (matt neuburg) wrote:

    > But it's still a UFS volume. Try HFS+.[/ref]

    Please tell me I don't have to re-install... pretty please with sugar
    on it. :-(

    --
    Cheers,
    GRGAUD

  5. #5

    In article
    <news.xs4all.nl
    Maarten Sneep <nl> wrote:

    > You can't. UFS does not support resource fork (well, not directly...)
    > and the rest of the software considers it to be a network volume (which
    > in general do not support resource forks either).
    >
    > Advice: stick to the default (HFS+). It supports it all, and is faster.
    > UFS is a relic from the past and is there for backward compatability,
    > not forward compatability...[/ref]

    That sounds like you're telling me I have to re-install. I have two
    volumes, one on which OS9 resides (HFS+), which is a 5 GB slice of a
    20 GB drive, and the other a 15 GB slice, making up the difference.
    Does that mean that if I wan't to install software like OfficeX and
    Photoshop 7, I have to reformat and re-install?

    --
    Cheers,
    GRGAUD

  6. #6

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:10:54 -0400,
    GRGAUD (post) wrote:

    > That sounds like you're telling me I have to re-install. I have two
    > volumes, one on which OS9 resides (HFS+), which is a 5 GB slice of a
    > 20 GB drive, and the other a 15 GB slice, making up the difference.
    > Does that mean that if I wan't to install software like OfficeX and
    > Photoshop 7, I have to reformat and re-install?[/ref]

    You could install your software on the HFS+ volume. However, in the
    long run, you are better off reformating the 15 GB partition as HFS+
    and reinstalling OS X.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  7. #7

    GRGAUD wrote:

    > That sounds like you're telling me I have to re-install.[/ref]

    Yes. There is a reason HFS+ is the default. You're supposed to know what
    you're doing when switching over to UFS ;). There are only very few
    valid reasons to use UFS. One is curiousity, but that implies you're
    willing to tinker. The other is if you run a Web server on it (UFS is
    case sensitive and provides some greater security[1]).

    But with the advances on HFS+ (journaling), I don't see any reason to
    keep up a UFS volume.

    Probably. Certainly for quite a number of carbon based applications
    (Office certainly, and although PS is carbon based, it might use the
    modern resource format, so that it can live on UFS. But the safest bet
    is HFS+

    Maarten

    [1] although Apple ships with a apache module to prevent that from
    happening, so it is even less of a reason.
    Maarten Guest

  8. #8

    > Yes. There is a reason HFS+ is the default. You're supposed to know what
    > you're doing when switching over to UFS ;). There are only very few
    > valid reasons to use UFS. One is curiousity, but that implies you're
    > willing to tinker. The other is if you run a Web server on it (UFS is
    > case sensitive and provides some greater security[1]).
    >
    > But with the advances on HFS+ (journaling), I don't see any reason to
    > keep up a UFS volume.[/ref]
    <snipped for brevity>

    I kinda figured you'd say that. I couldn't see any other way around,
    except for resizing the volume and reformatting a new one to HFS+.
    Unfortunately I don't have a program to do that. Thanks for the info
    and advice, 'preciate it.

    --
    Cheers,
    GRGAUD

  9. #9

    <snip>

    > You could install your software on the HFS+ volume. However, in the
    > long run, you are better off reformating the 15 GB partition as HFS+
    > and reinstalling OS X.[/ref]

    Thanks, Bev, that's what I thought I'd have to do, but I figured I'd
    ask anyway just in case there might have been another way.

    --
    Cheers,
    GRGAUD

  10. #10

    On 9/18/03 6:52 PM, in article bellnet.ca,
    "GRGAUD" <post> wrote:

    Hi again,
    I just wanted to let you know that I've re-installed OSX using HFS+ and that
    all went well. My programs now install without complaining about the
    destination a network volume. My thanks to all those who responded.

    GR Guest