Professional Web Applications Themes

OK, Now I'm Desparate: Ethernet Network Doesn't Work at All! - Mac Networking

About three weeks ago, my G4 1GHz lost all ability to see my G4 500MHz on a hard-wired (Linsys 8-Port Hub) ethernet network a couple of days after updating to 10.3.3 (from 10.3.2). Not only could I not connect through AFP (it sees the computer, but will not connect: beach ball forever requiring relaunching the finder), but the G4 1GHz can not even see the web site hosted locally on the G4 500MHz. It wasn't urgent before, because the G4 500MHz could see the G4 1GHz without a problem. Last night, however, we had a power failure, and after a ...

  1. #1

    Default OK, Now I'm Desparate: Ethernet Network Doesn't Work at All!

    About three weeks ago, my G4 1GHz lost all
    ability to see my G4 500MHz on a hard-wired
    (Linsys 8-Port Hub) ethernet network a couple of
    days after updating to 10.3.3 (from 10.3.2). Not
    only could I not connect through AFP (it sees
    the computer, but will not connect: beach ball
    forever requiring relaunching the finder), but
    the G4 1GHz can not even see the web site hosted
    locally on the G4 500MHz.

    It wasn't urgent before, because the G4 500MHz
    could see the G4 1GHz without a problem. Last
    night, however, we had a power failure, and
    after a reboot, the 500MHz can no longer see the
    1GHz.

    I've posted twice before on this subject here,
    but have gotten very little or no response. I
    realize that this must be a very rare problem,
    but any suggestions would be MOST WELCOME. We
    are now emailing back and forth.

    So far, I've tried:

    Repairing permissions.
    Booting through OS9.
    Reinstalling the combo updater.
    Switching out Linksys hub.

    Nothing has worked. Is it really hopeless?

    Bill

    G4 1G DP; Mac OS X (10.3.x)

    Bill Guest

  2. #2

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Bill Foote <com> wrote:

    If I were you, I'd get Disk Warrior and run it ASAP!

    --
    Rodger
    Rodger Guest

  3. #3

    Entity Bill Foote spoke thus:

    Check the contents of "Volumes" folder. Delete any aliases to the unfound
    machines.

    -- Gnarlie
    "In my judgment, when the United States says there will be serious
    consequences, and if there isn't serious consequences, it creates adverse
    consequences."
    -- George W. Bush on Meet the Press, Feb. 8, 2004

    Gnarlodious Guest

  4. #4

    In article <BC9ABAB6.3D2BD%invalid.>,
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote: [/ref]

    Try a different cable. I had a similar problem
    this week and it turned out that the cable that
    worked fine the day before didn't work anymore.
    Plugged in & out one too many times. #$%^ Cheap
    ethernet cables...

    Claude

    claudel Guest

  5. #5

    Gnarlodious wrote:

    > Check the contents of "Volumes" folder. Delete any aliases to the unfound
    > machines.[/ref]

    Where would that folder reside?
    ThomJeff Guest

  6. #6

    Entity ThomJeff spoke thus:

    > Where would that folder reside?[/ref]
    It resides in the root level of your HD, but it's invisible. I have an alias
    to it so I can open it easily.
    In Finder, open "Find" with command-f and add a search criterion for
    "invisible". Look for "Volumes". Open the folder and make an alias to your
    root level or wherever.

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious Guest

  7. #7

    Gnarlodious wrote:

    >>Where would that folder reside?[/ref]
    >
    > It resides in the root level of your HD, but it's invisible. I have an alias
    > to it so I can open it easily.
    > In Finder, open "Find" with command-f and add a search criterion for
    > "invisible". Look for "Volumes". Open the folder and make an alias to your
    > root level or wherever.[/ref]

    Got it, thanks. But there is nothing in it other
    than my main drive and aliases of my other drives.

    Bill Guest

  8. #8

    Rodger wrote:
    <snip>
     [/ref]

    Before, in 10.2.8 I was getting strange behavior with 3 ethernetted
    machines, (one was os 9). Sometimes afp wouldn't work, sometimes web
    sharing wouldn't work (ie. it took out /all/ access including that of
    the server). I never found out what caused it, but creating a new user
    and using that user to set up the sharing seemed to get rid of it.

    Now i have that one user and don't do much else than internet sharing
    with it. With normal use it would only seem to last a couple of days. I
    never tracked down what changes it was that broke it.

    Well, for what it's worth, that's it. I didn't post previously cos it
    didn't seem very relevant. also it wasn't really a solution, it just
    works for me for now. there is definitely something flaky about the
    networking. then again making it possible for one to network up a load
    of machines over ethernet and share an internet connection and printer s
    and all that just at the click of a button, well I still haven't got
    over that yet, so I haven't started to get angry that it doesn't 'just
    work'.

    Andy
    nospamatall Guest

  9. #9

    In article <supernews.com>, Bill Foote
    <com> wrote:

    This is discussed in the macfixit.comOS 10.3.3 report. The only fix
    mentioned is to delete and re-establish all " 'old' links to drives,
    folders, and files and replace them with new ones".

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  10. #10

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Bill Foote <com> wrote:

    Somehow some of your networking files become corrupted and need fixing.
    Probably the power failure was the last straw for your 500Mhz. If
    repairing permissions did not fix em, you need to run Disk Warrior.
    That should do it for sure.

    However, if you do not have Disk Warrior and don't want to buy it, you
    could always do a reinstall of the OS. Back up your files and do an
    archive and install of OS 10.3 and then do the updates. Be sure to
    check the option to keep all your settings though. The only other stuff
    you might need to reinstall are some printer drivers and 3 party drivers
    that you may have had installed and would be broken by the reinstall.

    --
    Rodger
    Rodger Guest

  11. #11

    In article <Rgidc.52146$news.prodigy.com>,
    Rodger <invalid> wrote:

    What about the LEDs on the hub - do lights show up for both machines?

    Have you tried to connect both Macs directly, perhaps using a cross-over
    cable?

    If the hardware is o.k. you should still be able to see your network
    while booted from an OS9 CD.

    Cheers Martin

    --
    To reply by e-mail remove the "waste bin".
    Martin Guest

  12. #12

    Martin Sammtleben wrote:

    > What about the LEDs on the hub - do lights show up for both machines?[/ref]

    Yes.

    Not yet. (Not an easy feat at all.)

    Is it possible that even though all other
    ethernet services work fine (printing, internet)
    that it could be a hardware problem?
    Bill Guest

  13. #13

    "Bill Foote" <com> wrote in message

    > > What about the LEDs on the hub - do lights show up for both machines?[/ref]
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > Not yet. (Not an easy feat at all.)
    >
    > Is it possible that even though all other
    > ethernet services work fine (printing, internet)
    > that it could be a hardware problem?[/ref]

    Possible but highly, highly improbable. That's why the subject should be
    changed to better reflect your situation.

    Greg

    G.T. Guest

  14. #14

    Bill Foote <com> writes:

    Often.

    See http://www.atpm.com/network/ for a link to their "Fixing Problems"
    page.

    The last time I had a power failure and something went horribly wrong, I
    searched through all the libraries and such and trashed the preferences for
    the offending program; the prefs had become corrupted in the unsequenced
    shutdown. Once upon a time, prefs were stored in one place, but now they
    may be in 2 or 3. Check with the provider of your network driver(s) and see
    if they can tell you where they're lcoated; or is the install log still
    available?

    Also check your crash logs. There may be helpful information there on what
    program went wrong on you. It may be that the prefs on Network or Sharing
    were corrupted during the unsequenced shutdown occasioned by the power
    failure.

    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest