Professional Web Applications Themes

Okay gang--what camera do I need instead? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi, everyone. It has become clear to me that the s400, while a swell little camera in many ways, just doesn't cut it for what I want to do and I would like some suggestions for an alternative. Of course I would like something as small as the s400 but witha 4" lcd, a single lens that handles everything from micro to extreme zoom, complete manual and complete auto settings, and at least 6 MP for under $500. 8^) Getting back to reality, I recently had a chance to do some shooting with the new Rebel and that is one ...

  1. #1

    Default Okay gang--what camera do I need instead?

    Hi, everyone. It has become clear to me that the s400, while a swell little camera in many ways, just doesn't cut it for what I want to do and I would like some suggestions for an alternative.

    Of course I would like something as small as the s400 but witha 4" lcd, a single lens that handles everything from micro to extreme zoom, complete manual and complete auto settings, and at least 6 MP for under $500. 8^)

    Getting back to reality, I recently had a chance to do some shooting with the new Rebel and that is one nice camera--very comfortable, easy to see and so on, but my hesitation in getting that one is this: while it is irksome that I am missing so many shots with the s400, I wouldn't be able to tote a camera that large around with me everywhere the way I can with the s400, so I would still miss the shots because I wouldn't have a camera at all, many times.

    Anyway, I am looking for something which is still reasonably compact, and I am willing to sacrifice zoom features for a decent macro mode. I do want more manual controls than the the s400 has, and I would kind of like something that can deal with a wider range of light than the s400--most of the really interesting potential shots in this area involve the dramatic contrast between the bright sunlight and dark, dark shadows. The s400 smooths that out, if things aren't actuall n out at the bright end. At least 4 MP, and I wouldnt' say no to more.

    I don't care about battery type much--contrary to the general opinion, the proprietary battery is one thing I really like about the s400. I have two batteries which is enough for me. That's good for two 256 flash cards of constant shooting, and by then I need a break as much as the batteries do.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Okay gang--what camera do I need instead?

    Minolta S304 or S404 might be just what your looking for
    George Guest

  3. #3

    Barbara,

    The 300D (Rebel Digital) isn't that big to carry, and its weight is very comfortable (compared to
    other SLR like the 10D). Providing you're happy with its flash (which is raised quite high for this
    type of camer), and the supplied lense, that's really all you'll have to carry (perhaps a few extra
    CF cards). You might rent one for a weekend (I don't know how common this practice is elsewhere,
    but in Montreal, you can rent such things for 100$ per weekend, more or less and this amount is
    deducted when you buy a unit, same or different).

    I believe (I may be wrong) Jane has a Nikon. This model could be interesting :
    http://www.nikon.ca/digital/products/cameras/coolpix_5400/default.asp

    If you'd like to stay with Canon, then the G3 might please you (if you still can find one) :
    http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/g3/index.html

    Or the S50 :
    http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s50-45/index.html

    If you're serious about macro photography, as I suspect you are, you should really consider the
    benefit of an SLR camera. No matter how good the P&S camera are, their lenses just don't have the
    flexibility required to compete with SLR. And even if some offers full manual control, check to
    make sure manual control isn't limited to a range of aperture from 5.6 to 11, or shutter speed, for
    example.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  4. #4

    Buy the Rebel and keep the s400 handy at all times. I gave my
    other camera to my son when I bought the Rebel. I am currently
    looking for a small camera as a backup.

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I am with Ray. To do serious closeup work, you really need a SLR for accurate framing and a micro lens for quality. Anything else will be a compromise, no matter how close you can get to the subject. Sadly,the penalty is bulk and weight, and of course mucho dinero. :)

    Shan
    Shan_Ko@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I am with Ray. To do serious closeup work, you really need a SLR for accurate framing and a macro lens for quality. Anything else will be a compromise, no matter how close you can get to the subject. Sadly,the penalty is bulk and weight, and of course mucho dinero. :)

  7. #7

    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

    Ray, while I was agreeably surprised at how light the Rebel is, it's definitely not purse-friendly. In my part of the world I wouldn't dare leave something like that in the car, and I would not be well-received at work lugging a camera bag in addition to all my musical gear. <g>

    Ray, I will check out the Nikon. I had considered that one before, because I like the way the LCD works, besides the fact that the controls are more comprehensible to me--I'd find it easier to work with numbers for the white point, for instance, instead of "tungsten", "cloudy" etc. the way the s400 does.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Barbara...Good luck on whatever your decision is. It is so difficult, but I am like you I would want macro to be a strong point. I dread thinking about a new camera...choosing one that is.

    Also I am very curious why no one ever even mentions a Sony camera...mine is almost two old and I bought new from Ritz Camera in a Dutch Auction on Ebay. The model was no longer being made...so good buy. It is strictly a point and shoot, but Sony does make much higher models of course...still no interest from this group. What do you all know that I don't???? Is it because of the Memory Stick deal?
    Do_Brinkmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Everything you ask for can be found in the new Minolta A-1. Good close up facilities, works like an SLR with its electronic viewfinder, a wonderful 28-200 zoomlens and nevertheless a little smaller and lighter than the average SLR.
    In my opinion one of the best buys in todays market.

    Leen
    Leen_Koper@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I would really like for Jane to jump into this discussion because she was to replace her camera a
    few months ago when hers broke, and I believe she looked for a new Nikon as well. She might have
    interesting information for you. One of my co-worker bought a Nikon for his wife and she's very
    satisfied with it. She had a Nikon film based camera before.

    By the way, I hope you weren't serious about leaving a camera in the car? You probably know that,
    amongst other things, the LCD screen is likely to die if the temperature gets too high for more than
    a few minutes... Batteries could leak as well, and sorts of things could be damaged.

    Take a look at the G3 before you buy, though. A friend of mine is doing some very serious
    photography with this camera and the results are incredible.

    Ray Guest

  11. #11

    Dorothy, Sony is not a name that comes instinctively to my mind when talking about digital cameras.
    And I know very little about them. But you're right, they offer a very nice range of models.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  12. #12

    Hi, Dorothy. Well, for me as a mac user, sony is the most difficult brand to work with if you have a mac--those little mavica cds are not mac-compatible for instance.

    Ray, that was what I meant--it's always too hot here to leave the camera, even when you are just running into the store for a minute.

    Leen, you are right--I forgot about that one because it was still in preview (and expensive!) when I was looking before. I'll have to investigate that more thoroughly.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    The G3 is nice - but not particularly compact, especially with the adaptor and close up lens ed onto its front. But then I prefer a larger rather than a smaller camera - better lens, easier to hold steady - I rejected the CanonA70 which was my first choice as it was too small. I tend to have a back pack with me whenever I go out as my littlest child still tends to need a change of clothes every now and then, so it's no hardship to throw in the camera case, tripod and external flash as well. If you like small cameras the new A80 might be worth a look - bigger than the s400, but will take add-on close-up lenses to allow closer focus and has full manual control and a flip out screen. I'm not sure what it's closest focus is without a close up lens tho'.

    Susan S.
    Susan_S.@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Barbara, about the price, it has come down considerably recently.
    Like most prosumer cameras have since the introduction of the Canon 300D.

  15. #15

    Barbara, I like Susan's Canon G3 and Barb Wayne's Minolta S414. I still use
    my G2 (older relative of the G3) 75% of the time because it's so portable
    vs. the hulking 10D.

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Chuck and Susan and other Canon users, another strange color thing I've noticed with the s400 is that reds "glow" so that they sometimes appear almost out of focus, especially in bright sunlight.

    Is that typical of canon or just unique to this one? I have found several recent consumer reviews of the s400 that mention the oversaturated blues with it, BTW.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    From many of the reviews I have read it is a problem with many
    P&S cameras. I know the G3 mentioned by Ray has a parameter
    adjustment for saturation. You will find this on the 10D and 300D
    as well. Over saturation and too much in camera sharpening can
    ruin an otherwise wonderful photograph.

  18. #18

    Canon P&S cameras have a very high saturation level. I've set up a small gallery to show you what
    my Powershot A20 used to do : http://www.pbase.com/carbone/powershot_a20 Believe me, those pictures
    are way more saturated than the scenes were in reality. Although it's not very bad, it's just not
    exactly the same.

    Higher end models have settings for saturation and sharpness, which usually lacks in P&S.

    Ray Guest

  19. #19

    I find that the Canon G3 reds (and colours in general) look better in Elements with Ignore Exif in place and colour management turned off. With full colour management on and Ignore Exif in place the reds are wild! The G3 obviously uses a colour space that is close to but not quite sRGB - the AdobeRGB that full colour management uses is simply way over the top!

  20. #20

    I find the G2's color saturation to be somewhat high, but not extreme;
    guess I'd call it 'lively'. The 10D, on the other hand, is on the other end
    of the scale; I would call it 'blah'....

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast