Professional Web Applications Themes

Old Nikon repair advise please - Photography

For a long time I've used a Nikon FE. Since it was introduced. For all that time, it's done everything I've cared to do with a camera. I've got the the lens it came with, along with a 28mm and a 85mm f1.8 The stock lens and the 28mm are AI, the 85mm is not AI, I bought it used way back then. Plus various other accessories (filters, attachments, ect.) But now, after the most recent trip of two weeks to San Diego for the zoos there and several national parks on the road back home, I noticed on some ...

  1. #1

    Default Old Nikon repair advise please

    For a long time I've used a Nikon FE. Since it was introduced. For
    all that time, it's done everything I've cared to do with a camera.
    I've got the the lens it came with, along with a 28mm and a 85mm f1.8
    The stock lens and the 28mm are AI, the 85mm is not AI, I bought it
    used way back then. Plus various other accessories (filters,
    attachments, ect.)

    But now, after the most recent trip of two weeks to San Diego for the
    zoos there and several national parks on the road back home, I noticed
    on some frames (not every) what looks like a light leak. This is
    manifested as a narrow band across the image the narrow way towards
    one end of the frame.

    If there were no digital, buying a new film camera would seem to be a
    no brainer. But with the arrival of good digital cameras, I'd really
    rather spend real money on one of those.

    So what I'm thinking about is having whatevers wrong repaired on the
    FE and buying a digital camera. I don't really want to discard a
    camera I'm thoroughly familiar with that still takes an excellent
    picture as long as a repair is at all reasonably cost effective. I'm
    not sure that a new film camera would take any better photos than the
    old one. I mean, it's the indian, not the arrows!

    The digital camera is where the new money should go. Right?

    What's your advise/opinions on this? Or should I just move on past
    the old equipment and embrace the now.
    Lazarus Long Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Old Nikon repair advise please

    Is that an easy self repair?

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 02:01:02 GMT, [email]kiyu_worldnet.att.net[/email] (Kiyu) wrote:
    >On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:31:30 GMT, Lazarus Long <jpiwaronwi.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>For a long time I've used a Nikon FE. Since it was introduced. For
    >>all that time, it's done everything I've cared to do with a camera.
    >>I've got the the lens it came with, along with a 28mm and a 85mm f1.8
    >>The stock lens and the 28mm are AI, the 85mm is not AI, I bought it
    >>used way back then. Plus various other accessories (filters,
    >>attachments, ect.)
    >>
    >>But now, after the most recent trip of two weeks to San Diego for the
    >>zoos there and several national parks on the road back home, I noticed
    >>on some frames (not every) what looks like a light leak. This is
    >>manifested as a narrow band across the image the narrow way towards
    >>one end of the frame.
    >
    >Did you check your foam light seals on the door?

    Lazarus Long Guest

  3. #3

    Lazarus,
    I'd fix it. And I'd get the digital as well. It's time. Besides, you
    need pixels to take pic's of Pixel the Cat.

    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.

  4. #4

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 02:37:09 GMT, Lazarus Long <jpiwaronwi.rr.com> wrote:
    >Is that an easy self repair?
    Alas, I've never actually done it myself but from all descriptions of the
    process I have read it is a piece of cake. (Heh. Heh. How many times have you
    heard that one.<G>)
    Your post reminded me I had promised to do the repair on my son's backup EM and
    his FE (if it cured his EM light streaking problems and I didn't mess it up) -
    I've just been dragging my feet but will drag them no more. Thanks for the
    reminder.

    Here is a site to check
    [url]http://www.cameraseals.com/products.html#foam[/url]
    that sells the material. T'aint cheap at $16.95 but apparently they give you
    good instructions along with it.

    Here is a description with photos of the process
    [url]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rfgro/repair.html[/url]
    and info for doing it on the cheap. I may just give this one a try.

    A site to show what deteriorating seals looks like
    [url]http://abilenecamera.com/foam.html[/url]

    I believe I have also seen seal material sold on Ebay by a number of folks and
    with some research into the material type you could probably pick up something
    quite suitable from somewhere like McMaster-Carr, a mail order industrial supply
    house on the net. Just depends on whether you are the adventurous type.

    A poster here mentioned $35 to have it done (I think they replace the light seal
    for the mirror as well) and that sounds like a really good price if you are a
    bit queasy about digging into the innards of your camera.

    I can't say with certainty but I suspect this is a bread and butter job for a
    camera shop, sort of like changing your car's spark plugs. With any mechanical
    skills at all it looks to be an easy task for the person wanting to do it at
    home. Just take a deep breath, a stiff drink.......no, two drinks & jump in. I
    am certain others here have done it and could give you a better insight into
    what the job entails than I.

    Kiyu

    Kiyu Guest

  5. #5