Professional Web Applications Themes

on shutdown or restart - Ubuntu

everytime i keep shutting down or restarting i keep getting a long string of error messages to fast to see what it says, but i caught a glimpse of what one said. it said something like the F6 keys error in code well something like that...

  1. #1

    Default on shutdown or restart

    everytime i keep shutting down or restarting i keep getting a long string of
    error messages to fast to see what it says, but i caught a glimpse of what
    one said. it said something like the F6 keys error in code well something
    like that

    Squibbly Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: on shutdown or restart

    Squibbly wrote:
    > everytime i keep shutting down or restarting i keep getting a long
    > string of error messages to fast to see what it says, but i caught a
    > glimpse of what one said. it said something like the F6 keys error in
    > code well something like that
    Check out /var/log/dmesg
    --
    askrieger(at)rcn(dot)com
    Al Krieger Guest

  3. #3

    what file is it i should check out there as there are many

    "Al Krieger" <mehome.myhouse.dom> wrote in message
    > Squibbly wrote:
    >
    >> everytime i keep shutting down or restarting i keep getting a long
    >> string of error messages to fast to see what it says, but i caught a
    >> glimpse of what one said. it said something like the F6 keys error in
    >> code well something like that
    > Check out /var/log/dmesg
    > --
    > askrieger(at)rcn(dot)com

    Squibbly Guest

  4. #4

    Squibbly wrote:
    > what file is it i should check out there as there are many
    >

    > "Al Krieger" <mehome.myhouse.dom> wrote in message
    >> Squibbly wrote:
    >>
    >>> everytime i keep shutting down or restarting i keep getting a long
    >>> string of error messages to fast to see what it says, but i caught a
    >>> glimpse of what one said. it said something like the F6 keys error
    >>> in code well something like that
    >> Check out /var/log/dmesg
    >> --
    >> askrieger(at)rcn(dot)com
    1) Please don't top post (it's confusing to readers).
    2) /var/log/dmesg IS a text file. You may have others in the /var/log
    directory called things like dmseg.0 etc. They are older versions of
    dmesg. dmesg shows (many) of the lines that flash by when you boot up.
    You can read the whole thing (mine is 241 lines long) for general
    enlightenment or (in a console) type: "cat /var/log/dmesg | grep
    F6" ( all on one line, without the quotes).

    Hope this helps,
    Al
    --
    askrieger(at)rcn(dot)com
    Al Krieger Guest

  5. #5

    > Squibbly wrote:
    >
    >> what file is it i should check out there as there are many
    >>

    >> "Al Krieger" <mehome.myhouse.dom> wrote in message

    >>> Check out /var/log/dmesg
    >>> --
    >>> askrieger(at)rcn(dot)com
    >
    > 1) Please don't top post (it's confusing to readers).
    > 2) /var/log/dmesg IS a text file. You may have others in the /var/log
    > directory called things like dmseg.0 etc. They are older versions of
    > dmesg. dmesg shows (many) of the lines that flash by when you boot up.
    > You can read the whole thing (mine is 241 lines long) for general
    > enlightenment or (in a console) type: "cat /var/log/dmesg | grep
    > F6" ( all on one line, without the quotes).
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Al
    > --
    > askrieger(at)rcn(dot)com

    oooh sorry i didnt know what top posting was corrected from now on!!!

    Squibbly Guest

  6. #6

    On 2006-02-08, Al Krieger <mehome.myhouse.dom> wrote:
    > 1) Please don't top post (it's confusing to readers).
    Trimming quoted text is useful too.
    > 2) /var/log/dmesg IS a text file. You may have others in the /var/log
    > directory called things like dmseg.0 etc. They are older versions of
    > dmesg. dmesg shows (many) of the lines that flash by when you boot up.
    > You can read the whole thing (mine is 241 lines long) for general
    > enlightenment or (in a console) type: "cat /var/log/dmesg | grep
    > F6" ( all on one line, without the quotes).
    /bin/dmesg is an executable so if /bin is in your path, you can simply type
    "dmesg" and it will show you your most recent /var/log/dmesg. I recommend
    piping through "less"

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  7. #7

    "Seth H Holmes" <sholmesnottellingyouthiseither.com> wrote in message
    > On 2006-02-08, Al Krieger <mehome.myhouse.dom> wrote:
    >
    >> 1) Please don't top post (it's confusing to readers).
    >
    > Trimming quoted text is useful too.
    >
    >> 2) /var/log/dmesg IS a text file. You may have others in the /var/log
    >> directory called things like dmseg.0 etc. They are older versions of
    >> dmesg. dmesg shows (many) of the lines that flash by when you boot up.
    >> You can read the whole thing (mine is 241 lines long) for general
    >> enlightenment or (in a console) type: "cat /var/log/dmesg | grep
    >> F6" ( all on one line, without the quotes).
    >
    > /bin/dmesg is an executable so if /bin is in your path, you can simply
    > type
    > "dmesg" and it will show you your most recent /var/log/dmesg. I recommend
    > piping through "less"
    >
    > --
    > Seth H Holmes
    the error message is KDSETKEYCODE is invalid

    Squibbly Guest

  8. #8

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:33:42 +0000, Squibbly wrote:

    > "Seth H Holmes" <sholmesnottellingyouthiseither.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-02-08, Al Krieger <mehome.myhouse.dom> wrote:
    >>
    >>> 1) Please don't top post (it's confusing to readers).
    >>
    >> Trimming quoted text is useful too.
    >>
    >>> 2) /var/log/dmesg IS a text file. You may have others in the /var/log
    >>> directory called things like dmseg.0 etc. They are older versions of
    >>> dmesg. dmesg shows (many) of the lines that flash by when you boot up.
    >>> You can read the whole thing (mine is 241 lines long) for general
    >>> enlightenment or (in a console) type: "cat /var/log/dmesg | grep
    >>> F6" ( all on one line, without the quotes).
    >>
    >> /bin/dmesg is an executable so if /bin is in your path, you can simply
    >> type
    >> "dmesg" and it will show you your most recent /var/log/dmesg. I recommend
    >> piping through "less"
    >>
    >> --
    >> Seth H Holmes
    >
    > the error message is KDSETKEYCODE is invalid
    KDSETKEYCODE is an ioctls instruction to write a kernel keycode table
    entry so that a keypress generates something other than the code generated
    by the keyboard. Rumor (one widely quoted message when you google/linux
    for KDSETKEYCODE) has it that it doesn't work well with usb keyboards.

    Speaking cynically, I'd say that if your keyboard works, don't worry about
    it. This is a job for the Ubuntu packagers or, possibly, kernel hackers.
    If your keyboard doesn't work and you have a usb keyboard, get a ps2
    keyboard. If you HAVE a ps2 keyboard and it doesn't work, you'll have to
    find someone who knows more than I do. :-)

    ---
    askrieger(at)gmail(dot)com

    allen Guest

  9. #9

    "allen" <almy.house> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:33:42 +0000, Squibbly wrote:
    >

    >> "Seth H Holmes" <sholmesnottellingyouthiseither.com> wrote in message

    >>> Trimming quoted text is useful too.

    >>> /bin/dmesg is an executable so if /bin is in your path, you can simply
    >>> type
    >>> "dmesg" and it will show you your most recent /var/log/dmesg. I
    >>> recommend
    >>> piping through "less"
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Seth H Holmes
    >>
    >> the error message is KDSETKEYCODE is invalid
    >
    > KDSETKEYCODE is an ioctls instruction to write a kernel keycode table
    > entry so that a keypress generates something other than the code generated
    > by the keyboard. Rumor (one widely quoted message when you google/linux
    > for KDSETKEYCODE) has it that it doesn't work well with usb keyboards.
    >
    > Speaking cynically, I'd say that if your keyboard works, don't worry about
    > it. This is a job for the Ubuntu packagers or, possibly, kernel hackers.
    > If your keyboard doesn't work and you have a usb keyboard, get a ps2
    > keyboard. If you HAVE a ps2 keyboard and it doesn't work, you'll have to
    > find someone who knows more than I do. :-)
    >
    > ---
    > askrieger(at)gmail(dot)com

    usb keyboard and it works a treat

    Squibbly Guest

  10. #10

    On 2006-02-10, Squibbly <junkmail.com> wrote:

    > usb keyboard and it works a treat
    Like mah daddy used to say, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the
    sweaty things. If everything is working, don't worry about it. The kernel
    is a rather generic build so it's likely got support for things built in
    that you don't have. Some of this may cause spurious errors messages.
    If they a) don't cause security concerns and b) don't cause service issues,
    they are generally not worth worruing about.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest