Professional Web Applications Themes

One Color - Two PMS Swatches - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I have an InDesign CS2 doent that features both imported EPS files (out of Illustrator) and native Photoshop duotone images. The EPS files match up with the PMS color I have selected for the elements in the doent -- Pantone 2945 U. However, the Photoshop duotones have created a new swatch in the doent labeled Pantone 2945u. When soft proofing the doent's separations, each version shows up on its own layer. I'm assuming, the same will occur when I send the file to the printer for output. How can I get InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator to use the same PMS ...

  1. #1

    Default One Color - Two PMS Swatches

    I have an InDesign CS2 doent that features both imported EPS files
    (out of Illustrator) and native Photoshop duotone images. The EPS
    files match up with the PMS color I have selected for the elements in
    the doent -- Pantone 2945 U. However, the Photoshop duotones have
    created a new swatch in the doent labeled Pantone 2945u. When soft
    proofing the doent's separations, each version shows up on its own
    layer. I'm assuming, the same will occur when I send the file to the
    printer for output. How can I get InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
    to use the same PMS color?

    Thanks.

    -Fleemo

    fleemo17@comcast.net Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: One Color - Two PMS Swatches

    [email]fleemo17comcast.net[/email] wrote:
    > I have an InDesign CS2 doent that features both imported EPS files
    > (out of Illustrator) and native Photoshop duotone images. The EPS
    > files match up with the PMS color I have selected for the elements in
    > the doent -- Pantone 2945 U. However, the Photoshop duotones have
    > created a new swatch in the doent labeled Pantone 2945u. When soft
    > proofing the doent's separations, each version shows up on its own
    > layer. I'm assuming, the same will occur when I send the file to the
    > printer for output. How can I get InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
    > to use the same PMS color?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -Fleemo
    Hi Fleemo,
    You can do a few things - In the photoshop duotone options (the box
    where you set what colours you want in the duotone curve), change the
    name of the spot colour to match the illustrator name. (the space
    before the U matters).

    Or else you can access the Ink manager in InD, and assign one of the
    spots to print as the other. (I think the pulldown menu is on the
    swatches pallette for the Ink manager).

    I haven't got access to indesign right at this minute, so hopefully
    I've told you the right things!

    Mhari

    mhari@ihug.com.au Guest

  3. #3

    I believe you can also delete the unwanted swatch, and when it asks for
    the replacement, choose the one you want to use.

    ---Brandin

    Brandin Guest

  4. #4

    Mhari, thank you so much! Your fix worked perfectly. :D

    Brandin, I tried your approach but the trash can was grayed out for
    that particular swatch, I suppose because InDesign knew an imported
    graphic in the doent was using it. But I do appreciate your input.

    Cheers to you both! :)

    -Fleemo

    fleemo17@comcast.net Guest