Professional Web Applications Themes

one more time - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I asked this earlier this a.m. and got no response. Maybe I wasn't clear in my initial message. A client wants to have a new browser window come up whenever someone leaves his site. As I said earlier, I know how to open a new browser window "on unload" but that has no bearing as to a person leaving the site. That will open a window whenever someone leaves that page even to go to another page on the same site. Does anyone know of a script that will open a new browser window only when someone is leaving the ...

  1. #1

    Default one more time

    I asked this earlier this a.m. and got no response. Maybe I wasn't clear in
    my initial message. A client wants to have a new browser window come up
    whenever someone leaves his site. As I said earlier, I know how to open a
    new browser window "on unload" but that has no bearing as to a person
    leaving the site. That will open a window whenever someone leaves that page
    even to go to another page on the same site.
    Does anyone know of a script that will open a new browser window only when
    someone is leaving the website? Again, any input will be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    frazzled Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: one more time

    Thanks Gary. I thought the same thing but then thought maybe there's a magic
    bullet...guess not.

    Fred

    "Gary White" <please> wrote in message
    > when
    >

    > About the only way to do that would be if the site were in a frameset.
    > That's a very poor reason to put up with all the accessibility issues that
    > frames create.
    >
    > Gary
    >
    >[/ref]

    frazzled Guest

  3. #3

    Check these out:

    http://www.netwhoopass.com/free-web-tools/javascript.html

    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/

    Mad Guest

  4. #4

    I agree. When I close my browser It's because I'm DONE WITH THE CURRENT
    SITE. I don't need/want a little "Ya'll comeback now, y'hear?" chingate
    invading my serenity. :)

    --
    BR
    "foosball is th' DEVIL, Bobby Bouchet"

    > magic
    >

    > The only magic bullet you need is one to shoot the client with. <g>
    >
    > Gary
    >
    >[/ref]

    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    frazzled wrote:

    That's the most efficient way to keep away the user forever, after he
    saw that for the first time. Your client wants to shoot his own foot?

    Micha
    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    frazzled wrote:

    In general agreement what the others said about a goodbye popup, there
    are sometimes occasions when you need to do what the client is asking
    for. Your call.

    You can easily create a "dummy" frameset with a 1 pixel (fixed size)
    frame to the left or at the bottom, having the same background color as
    the main frame and place the onUnload popup there while the actual site
    resides in the main frame.

    Thus, it'll be "invisible" to the user, you will likely not have to
    fiddle with tagets for the links, it doesn't matter if the user hits the
    back button, and if a page is brought up through e.g. a search engine
    outside the frameset, it's not a catastrophe since nothing except the
    popup will be lost.

    The only thing that will happen is that the user can't bookmark an
    individual page, but I *think* there's a js available that'll fix that.

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    http://www.vendel.info

    Dan Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'll try to dissuade the client from
    doing it.

    Fred

    "Bill Ray" <com> wrote in message
    > > magic
    > >

    > > The only magic bullet you need is one to shoot the client with. <g>
    > >
    > > Gary
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    frazzled Guest