Professional Web Applications Themes

One With Access Denied, Another With Access, But NotFull - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

I'm suddenly having access denied/permission problems through Contribute on every page after the templates and their related pages were updated with Dreamweaver. The only thing changed on all of the pages was a text address block. While I'm unable to get any access as an admin, the odd thing though is that a publisher is able to access pages as usual, but cannot add or delete repeating rows nor create new sub-pages from links on a master page. This would suggest that his Contribute is not able to properly access the template files related to the editable pages. Yet all ...

  1. #1

    Default One With Access Denied, Another With Access, But NotFull

    I'm suddenly having access denied/permission problems through Contribute on
    every page after the templates and their related pages were updated with
    Dreamweaver. The only thing changed on all of the pages was a text address
    block.

    While I'm unable to get any access as an admin, the odd thing though is that a
    publisher is able to access pages as usual, but cannot add or delete repeating
    rows nor create new sub-pages from links on a master page.

    This would suggest that his Contribute is not able to properly access the
    template files related to the editable pages. Yet all seems fine with the path
    names to the tempalte files. I've also checked the permissions and they seem
    fine at 644 for all template / html files.

    checkersam Guest

  2. #2

    Further progress on this issue (or lack there of): ;-)

    I reset the Contribute admin access of the site and removed all publishers in
    the process (did this by deleting the contribute.xml file in the _mm folder at
    the root level of the site as suggested in a knowledgebase doc).

    This seems to have enabled my access to the pages set for Contribute editing
    (I no longer get the "access denied" warning). However, it did NOT remedy the
    problem of the repeating rows that cannot be created or deleted (clicking the
    "+" or "-" mini buttons simply moves the selection of text within the rows,
    while no new rows can be created). Also, I cannot create new pages from text
    links within these repeating rows.

    I stress that all of this was working fine until a single text block (which is
    outside the editable regions) was modified within the templates. I'm not saying
    for sure this caused the problem, though it WAS the last change made before the
    problem began.

    checkersam Guest

  3. #3

    I was finally able to solve this problem in an ugly and tedious manner: I had
    to do three steps:

    1) The Quick: Cancel all of the user accounts by deleting the contribute.xml
    file in the _mm folder at the site's root level. This causes Contribute to
    create a new empty file and therefore reset the passkey users as well as admins
    (I think).

    2) The Tedious: Start from scratch with the template page AND recreate the
    HTML page from the new template with all of its content. So, I took the overall
    design page with the appropriate editable regions, created a new template page
    and added my repeating table, then saved as a HTML file. Lastly, I took the
    content from the old page and added it in one repeating row at a time by using
    the "+" button to manually add rows.

    I tried to copy the repeating table code en masse from the non-working
    original and simply pasted it in to the editable area where the supposedly
    identical repeating table code would go. After all, I didn't change anything
    about the repeating table. However, I found this caused problems. i chose to
    take the extra time to re-build the repeating table one row at a time to be
    sure there was nothing odd being introduced.

    3) The not-so-bad-but-still-time-consuming: Re-create the admin and various
    publisher passkeys from scratch and send them out.

    checkersam Guest