Professional Web Applications Themes

Online but can't browse - Mac Networking

I've been working with pc's for 10 years and I finally decided to get a Mac and have been running OSX without a hitch. EXCEPT, I have it on a home network and I can browse the windoze and linux machines but I can't browse the net. I'll reset the network for DHCP and it will work for a while and then Whammo, no internet. I'll change the network back to a static IP and it will work for a while and them Whammo, no internet. I am not using a firewall, just a linksys router. I can't figure out ...

  1. #1

    Default Online but can't browse

    I've been working with pc's for 10 years and I finally decided to get a
    Mac and have been running OSX without a hitch. EXCEPT, I have it on a
    home network and I can browse the windoze and linux machines but I can't
    browse the net. I'll reset the network for DHCP and it will work for a
    while and then Whammo, no internet. I'll change the network back to a
    static IP and it will work for a while and them Whammo, no internet. I am
    not using a firewall, just a linksys router. I can't figure out why I can
    continue to browse the network but the internet won't work.

    Any ideas? Thanks.
    Jeff Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Online but can't browse

    In article <com>,
    Jeff Archacki <com> wrote:

    First test is to see if you can get to things on the internet via the
    numeric IP address

    17.254.0.91 for www.apple.com
    66.35.250.150 for slashdot.org
    64.243.24.160 for Macintouch.com

    If you can get to web sites via the IP address, then there is a
    reasonable chance that your DNS server is not responding to you.

    If you can not get to any sites via IP addresses, then it is your
    connection via the router.

    You do not say what version of Mac OS X you are using. I know that in
    one of the 10.2.* updates, a problem with DHCP occurred that caused the
    Mac to keep asking for a new DHCP addresses and eventually the router
    ran out of IP addresses to give, because the Mac had not given up the
    lease on any of the previous IP addresses, and none of the leases had
    expired. This was fixed in a later 10.2.* update, and does not exist in
    10.3.*

    You also say you are trying a fixed IP address. Is the address inside
    or outside of the range of addresses that the Linksys uses for its DHCP
    addresses. If inside, then maybe the Linksys thinks this addresses has
    an expired lease even if you are still using it. This is a very wild
    guess.

    I use a fixed IP address, mostly because it is easier for me to find
    other systems in my home, and because with only a handful of systems it
    is easy to keep track of the fixed IP addresses I have given out. But
    there is no reason for DHCP to not work. Of course, my home is using
    Apple Airport base stations, and before that I have used a D-Link
    Cable/DSL router and an SMC Barricade WiFi router. They both worked
    well. The D-Link is now providing routing at my Mom's house and the SMC
    Barricade died in a lightning strike :-(, otherwise it would still be in
    service. I have not used a Linksys, so I do not have any first hand
    experience with it. You might try a search of this news group via
    Google, because I know other people have reported working with Linksys
    equipment, and maybe their experiences will help you.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote in message news:<cac.cpqcorp.net>...

    > First test is to see if you can get to things on the internet via the
    > numeric IP address
    >
    > 17.254.0.91 for www.apple.com
    > 66.35.250.150 for slashdot.org
    > 64.243.24.160 for Macintouch.com
    >
    > If you can get to web sites via the IP address, then there is a
    > reasonable chance that your DNS server is not responding to you.
    >
    > If you can not get to any sites via IP addresses, then it is your
    > connection via the router.
    >
    > You do not say what version of Mac OS X you are using. I know that in
    > one of the 10.2.* updates, a problem with DHCP occurred that caused the
    > Mac to keep asking for a new DHCP addresses and eventually the router
    > ran out of IP addresses to give, because the Mac had not given up the
    > lease on any of the previous IP addresses, and none of the leases had
    > expired. This was fixed in a later 10.2.* update, and does not exist in
    > 10.3.*
    >
    > You also say you are trying a fixed IP address. Is the address inside
    > or outside of the range of addresses that the Linksys uses for its DHCP
    > addresses. If inside, then maybe the Linksys thinks this addresses has
    > an expired lease even if you are still using it. This is a very wild
    > guess.
    >
    > I use a fixed IP address, mostly because it is easier for me to find
    > other systems in my home, and because with only a handful of systems it
    > is easy to keep track of the fixed IP addresses I have given out. But
    > there is no reason for DHCP to not work. Of course, my home is using
    > Apple Airport base stations, and before that I have used a D-Link
    > Cable/DSL router and an SMC Barricade WiFi router. They both worked
    > well. The D-Link is now providing routing at my Mom's house and the SMC
    > Barricade died in a lightning strike :-(, otherwise it would still be in
    > service. I have not used a Linksys, so I do not have any first hand
    > experience with it. You might try a search of this news group via
    > Google, because I know other people have reported working with Linksys
    > equipment, and maybe their experiences will help you.
    >
    > Bob Harris[/ref]

    okay. my ceo is currently using mac os 10.2.8 and experiencing the
    exact same problem. other than a update do you have any other viable
    solutions? any advice is appreciated. thanks in advance.

    Shashaank Thota
    Shashaank Guest

  4. #4

    On 2004-06-03 11:24:25 -0400, com (Shashaank
    Thota) said:

    > okay. my ceo is currently using mac os 10.2.8 and experiencing the
    > exact same problem. other than a update do you have any other viable
    > solutions? any advice is appreciated. thanks in advance.
    >
    > Shashaank Thota[/ref]

    what kind of a CEO can't afford an upgrade? i've never had any
    problems with my network or DHCP in any version of 10.

    --
    -justin

    Justin Guest

  5. #5

    Justin McKillican <removethis.alsothis.ca> wrote in message news:<2004060315282227544%justinmckillremovethisa lsothisca>...

    > > okay. my ceo is currently using mac os 10.2.8 and experiencing the
    > > exact same problem. other than a update do you have any other viable
    > > solutions? any advice is appreciated. thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Shashaank Thota[/ref]
    >
    > what kind of a CEO can't afford an upgrade? i've never had any
    > problems with my network or DHCP in any version of 10.[/ref]

    i am afraid the upgrade will not fix the problem (i will confirm once
    the upgrade has been performed). on a sidetrack -- are u suggesting
    that 10.2.8 does not suffer from the above mentioned dhcp problem, if
    not, what do you think might be the cause/solution to the frequent
    internet outtages.
    Shashaank Guest

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Shashaank Thota) wrote:

    > > what kind of a CEO can't afford an upgrade? i've never had any
    > > problems with my network or DHCP in any version of 10.[/ref]
    >
    > i am afraid the upgrade will not fix the problem (i will confirm once
    > the upgrade has been performed). on a sidetrack -- are u suggesting
    > that 10.2.8 does not suffer from the above mentioned dhcp problem, if
    > not, what do you think might be the cause/solution to the frequent
    > internet outtages.[/ref]

    If you think the problem may be the DHCP problem, then give your CEO a
    fixed IP address. If this is a small company and the network is being
    served by a SOHO type Cable/DSL router, then check the range of
    addresses being assigned by DHCP, and pick one outside that range. For
    example if 192.168.1.2 thru 200 are being DHCP served, then pick
    192.168.1.201.

    However, if this is a larger network, see if the Net admin will assign
    the CEO a fixed IP address (after all this is for the CEO :-).

    I know that I run with a fixed IP address, and I never experienced any
    problems with my network connections, either at home or at work.

    But if I recall correctly, the DHCP problem was fixed either in 10.2.8
    or 10.2.8 included the fix from a previous update. You might try
    searching Macintouch.com or MacFixIt.com to see when the DHCP problem
    was fixed.

    And if you can get your CEO to upgrade to Panther (10.3) he might enjoy
    the experience. And Panther tends to run faster.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest