Professional Web Applications Themes

onlog -d [device] gives "bad tape: tape format not recognized" - Informix

Am trying to use the informix onlog utility to read log files from a tape. I've tried different approaches, but here's a typical: ism_op -unmount /dev/rmt/0cbn #to unmount mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn rewind # to rewind onlog -d /dev/rmt/0cbn # to read tape onlog prompts to mount the tape, then gives the error listed in the subject. informix storage manager and onbar logs both indicate successful writes to the tape for the logical logs, so I believe it is being written to ok. using onbar to create logs. working in informix 7.34 dynamic server on solaris intel. tape device agrees with ...

  1. #1

    Default onlog -d [device] gives "bad tape: tape format not recognized"

    Am trying to use the informix onlog utility to read log files from a
    tape.
    I've tried different approaches, but here's a typical:

    ism_op -unmount /dev/rmt/0cbn #to unmount
    mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn rewind # to rewind
    onlog -d /dev/rmt/0cbn # to read tape

    onlog prompts to mount the tape, then gives the error listed in the
    subject. informix storage manager and onbar logs both indicate
    successful writes to the tape for the logical logs, so I believe it is
    being written to ok. using onbar to create logs. working in informix
    7.34 dynamic server on solaris intel. tape device agrees with the
    LTAPEDEV parameter in onconfig. LTAPEBLK set to 1024.
    Thanks.
    Ron Wuthrich
    ron Guest

  2. #2

    ron wuthrich wrote:

    Is that a non-rewind device? Bad idea...Informix programs open the
    device, read the first block, close it (expecting it to rewind),
    reopen it and complain when they don't get the same data again.
    That's why you're told to use a rewind device.

    OK - actually, I don't know that this is your problem. Nevertheless,
    it could be.

    --
    Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h>
    Email: net, ibm.com

    Jonathan Guest

  3. #3

    Jonathan Leffler wrote:

    > Is that a non-rewind device? Bad idea...Informix programs open the
    > device, read the first block, close it (expecting it to rewind), reopen
    > it and complain when they don't get the same data again. That's why
    > you're told to use a rewind device.
    >
    > OK - actually, I don't know that this is your problem. Nevertheless, it
    > could be.
    >
    >[/ref]
    It is true that having TAPEDEV and / or LTAPEDEV set to a on-rewind
    device can cause issues.

    However, ism requires the devices to be non-rewind and that is probably
    why you went that route.

    Still, reading the logs backed up using onbar is ... apparently a
    feature request ;)) Call support and quote Bug 115798, they should be
    able to tell you how to do it.
    TheBiggestPotatoeYouHaveEverSeen Guest

  4. #4

    TheBiggestPotatoeYouHaveEverSeen <Nothere.Co.Uk> wrote in message news:<0F5Sb.13066$server.ntli.net>...

    > > Is that a non-rewind device? Bad idea...Informix programs open the
    > > device, read the first block, close it (expecting it to rewind), reopen
    > > it and complain when they don't get the same data again. That's why
    > > you're told to use a rewind device.
    > >
    > > OK - actually, I don't know that this is your problem. Nevertheless, it
    > > could be.
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    > It is true that having TAPEDEV and / or LTAPEDEV set to a on-rewind
    > device can cause issues.
    >
    > However, ism requires the devices to be non-rewind and that is probably
    > why you went that route.
    >
    > Still, reading the logs backed up using onbar is ... apparently a
    > feature request ;)) Call support and quote Bug 115798, they should be
    > able to tell you how to do it.[/ref]

    Yes, we were compelled to use a no-rewind device. I believe I have
    located someone in the outfit here with informix support access... we
    will refer to your bug# and see what happens. Thanks
    ron Guest

  5. #5

    TheBiggestPotatoeYouHaveEverSeen <Nothere.Co.Uk> wrote in message news:<0F5Sb.13066$server.ntli.net>...

    > > Is that a non-rewind device? Bad idea...Informix programs open the
    > > device, read the first block, close it (expecting it to rewind), reopen
    > > it and complain when they don't get the same data again. That's why
    > > you're told to use a rewind device.
    > >
    > > OK - actually, I don't know that this is your problem. Nevertheless, it
    > > could be.
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    > It is true that having TAPEDEV and / or LTAPEDEV set to a on-rewind
    > device can cause issues.
    >
    > However, ism requires the devices to be non-rewind and that is probably
    > why you went that route.
    >
    > Still, reading the logs backed up using onbar is ... apparently a
    > feature request ;)) Call support and quote Bug 115798, they should be
    > able to tell you how to do it.[/ref]

    fyi, informix support indicates that the onlog utility is designed for
    use with ontape. Onbar, which uses a storage manager, does not create
    logical log tape archives with the same method. Therefore, tapes
    created with onbar are not readable by onlog.

    informix did offer that you can use onbar -P ### to read a specific
    log file from the tape. If the ### is not found on the tape, then the
    error msg will be sent to the bar_act.log file. Running onbar -P ###
    with a legitimate log number on that tape will pull the log data back
    from the tape. You can also run onbar -P ###-### to get a series of
    logs, also provided that all of the logs included in the range are on
    the tape volume.

    not quite the functionality we were looking for, but it will do.
    thanks for the help.
    ron Guest