Professional Web Applications Themes

onSoundComplete for sounds from Shared Libraries - Macromedia Flash

Hi, Does anyone know how to get "onSoundComplete" to work for sounds brought in via shared library? Here is what we have tried so far: 1. Attach sound from shared library: Doesn't work 2. Put sound on stage of shared library. Call via instance name: Works, but can't use onSoundComplete 3. Put sound in frame of shared library then play that frame: Workes, but still can't use "onSoundComplete" The issue is that we have a flash movie that uses about 100 external sounds ans graphics. The sounds and graphics need to be external since we don't know which 100 +/- ...

  1. #1

    Default onSoundComplete for sounds from Shared Libraries

    Hi,

    Does anyone know how to get "onSoundComplete" to work for sounds brought in
    via shared library?

    Here is what we have tried so far:
    1. Attach sound from shared library: Doesn't work
    2. Put sound on stage of shared library. Call via instance name: Works,
    but can't use onSoundComplete
    3. Put sound in frame of shared library then play that frame: Workes, but
    still can't use "onSoundComplete"

    The issue is that we have a flash movie that uses about 100 external sounds
    ans graphics. The sounds and graphics need to be external since we don't
    know which 100 +/- sounds of about 1000 total are needed until runtime.

    When we load the sounds as individual files, the latency issues related to
    making 100+ calls to the server become a problem. We want to put all for
    these sounds into big bundles that can be downloaded all at once. We are
    attempting to use a shared library to do this. Perhaps there is another way?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    --
    Jeffrey A. Hawkins
    Information Systems Supervisor

    HumanJHawkins Guest

  2. #2

    I haven't dealt with shared libraries much but have you thought of using the
    sound.duration and sound.position properties to trigger an event when they
    are equal?

    Rockman

    "HumanJHawkins" <JHawkinsHumanitiesSoftware.Com> wrote in message
    news:DSVjb.331$S52.174newsread4.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know how to get "onSoundComplete" to work for sounds brought
    in
    > via shared library?
    >
    > Here is what we have tried so far:
    > 1. Attach sound from shared library: Doesn't work
    > 2. Put sound on stage of shared library. Call via instance name: Works,
    > but can't use onSoundComplete
    > 3. Put sound in frame of shared library then play that frame: Workes,
    but
    > still can't use "onSoundComplete"
    >
    > The issue is that we have a flash movie that uses about 100 external
    sounds
    > ans graphics. The sounds and graphics need to be external since we don't
    > know which 100 +/- sounds of about 1000 total are needed until runtime.
    >
    > When we load the sounds as individual files, the latency issues related to
    > making 100+ calls to the server become a problem. We want to put all for
    > these sounds into big bundles that can be downloaded all at once. We are
    > attempting to use a shared library to do this. Perhaps there is another
    way?

    > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    > --
    > Jeffrey A. Hawkins
    > Information Systems Supervisor
    > Humanities Software, a division of Renaissance Learning, Inc.

    CDR Guest

  3. #3

    Good thoughts. We will give it a shot. But I think this is likely to fail
    for the same reasons that onSoundComplete won't work.

    I think this is failing because a sound (i.e. an mp3 file or whatever) is
    NOT a "sound object". All of these functions are part of the "sound object"
    one can create via actionscript. But only the sound data (i.e. the mp3 file)
    is available from a shared library. It looks like a "sound object" can't be
    shared.

    And, unfortunately, if you create a "sound object" from the main .swf, you
    can't load a sound from a shared library into it. At least that is what we
    are experiencing.

    If anyone knows how to load a shared sound into a sound pobject, please let
    us know.

    Thanks!

    "CDR" <vmaxcableone.net> wrote in message
    > I haven't dealt with shared libraries much but have you thought of using
    the
    > sound.duration and sound.position properties to trigger an event when they
    > are equal?
    >
    > Rockman
    >
    > "HumanJHawkins" <JHawkinsHumanitiesSoftware.Com> wrote in message
    > news:DSVjb.331$S52.174newsread4.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how to get "onSoundComplete" to work for sounds brought
    > in
    > > via shared library?
    > >
    > > Here is what we have tried so far:
    > > 1. Attach sound from shared library: Doesn't work
    > > 2. Put sound on stage of shared library. Call via instance name:
    Works,
    > > but can't use onSoundComplete
    > > 3. Put sound in frame of shared library then play that frame: Workes,
    > but
    > > still can't use "onSoundComplete"
    > >
    > > The issue is that we have a flash movie that uses about 100 external
    > sounds
    > > ans graphics. The sounds and graphics need to be external since we don't
    > > know which 100 +/- sounds of about 1000 total are needed until runtime.
    > >
    > > When we load the sounds as individual files, the latency issues related
    > > making 100+ calls to the server become a problem. We want to put all for
    > > these sounds into big bundles that can be downloaded all at once. We are
    > > attempting to use a shared library to do this. Perhaps there is another
    > way?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    > > --
    > > Jeffrey A. Hawkins
    > > Information Systems Supervisor
    > > Humanities Software, a division of Renaissance Learning, Inc.

    HumanJHawkins Guest

Similar Threads

  1. #8963 [Opn->Bgs]: using shared PHP libraries in safe_mode
    By rasmus@php.net in forum PHP Bugs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 27th, 12:49 AM
  2. Shared libraries and security/domains
    By panorezo in forum Macromedia Flash Data Integration
    By albert105 in forum Macromedia Flash Sitedesign
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 24th, 10:34 AM
    By Joe Halpin in forum Sun Solaris
  5. About shared libraries...
    By Kundan Nehete in forum Mac Programming