Professional Web Applications Themes

Open Cube vs. DW Drop Down Menu - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi. I am a longtime user of Open Cube's Quick Menu Pro. I have a new client that will be managing their site in-house using DW templates. The site will need a drop down menu. I am thinking that it may be easier for the client if the site was built using the DWMX drop down menu feature. However, I don't know about cross-browser compatibility with the DW drop down menu. Open Cube's Quick Menu Pro claims to be 100% compatible with: IE 4,5,6 (All platforms) NS 4,5/6,7 (all), Opera 5,6,7 (all), Mozilla 0.6 & up (all), Konqueror 2.2 & ...

  1. #1

    Default Open Cube vs. DW Drop Down Menu

    Hi. I am a longtime user of Open Cube's Quick Menu Pro.

    I have a new client that will be managing their site in-house using DW templates. The site will need a drop down menu.

    I am thinking that it may be easier for the client if the site was built using the DWMX drop down menu feature. However, I don't know about cross-browser compatibility with the DW drop down menu.

    Open Cube's Quick Menu Pro claims to be 100% compatible with: IE 4,5,6 (All platforms) NS 4,5/6,7 (all), Opera 5,6,7 (all), Mozilla 0.6 & up (all), Konqueror 2.2 & up, Espial Escape 4.x & up, Ice Browser 5.x & up, Safari 1.0 (Mac). Does anyone know how DW's drop down menu stands up to this compatibility list?

    Thanks in advance-
    Pam

    PamS. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Open Cube vs. DW Drop Down Menu

    osgood wrote:

    Their Java applets? They have worked in all versions of any Java-capable
    browser I have tried.

    --
    Jerry Baker

    Automatic unique ALT & TITLE text for each image: Insert Image+
    Switch doctypes on the fly with a mouse click: Insert (X)HTML Doctypes
    http://www.dwfaq.com/store/merchants.asp?MerchID=Jerry+Baker

    Jerry Guest

  3. #3

    Jerry Baker wrote:

    > Their Java applets? They have worked in all versions of any Java-capable
    > browser I have tried.
    >[/ref]
    I dont know what they are, all I know is they didnt work in any of the
    above mentioned I tried.

    Whats the key to get them working?

    osgood Guest

  4. #4

    osgood wrote:

    > > Their Java applets? They have worked in all versions of any Java-capable
    > > browser I have tried.
    > >[/ref]
    > I dont know what they are, all I know is they didnt work in any of the
    > above mentioned I tried.
    >
    > Whats the key to get them working?
    >[/ref]
    Thats assuming they are usiing their own product on their pages. Re-size
    the browser window and they loose their positioning. Didnt even show in
    NN4x. infact the website disappeared on re-size.

    osgood Guest

  5. #5

    osgood wrote:

    It just needs the resize fix. Reload the page in NN4 after resizing it
    and everything is fine.

    I have used their products in the past, and had no browser issues with them.

  6. #6

    Jerry Baker wrote:

    > It just needs the resize fix. Reload the page in NN4 after resizing it
    > and everything is fine.[/ref]

    Im not getting a drop menu onMouse over in NN4x.

    on Mac 0S 9 Jerry?

    Well I can assure you they dont work here as I say assuming their own
    navigation system is an example.

    osgood Guest

  7. #7

    Pam:

    If Open Cube works for you and your clients, then I can see no real reason
    to change.

    However, if you are evaluating alternatives, I would NOT encourage you to
    consider the DW/FW pop-ups, which have a number of serious problems (in my
    opinion). A much better choice (again in my opinion) for alternatives would
    be the PVII type menus which you can see by visiting their site or by
    running through their tutorials -

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm

    or

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "PamS." <com> wrote in message
    templates. The site will need a drop down menu.
    using the DWMX drop down menu feature. However, I don't know about
    cross-browser compatibility with the DW drop down menu.
    (All platforms) NS 4,5/6,7 (all), Opera 5,6,7 (all), Mozilla 0.6 & up (all),
    Konqueror 2.2 & up, Espial Escape 4.x & up, Ice Browser 5.x & up, Safari 1.0
    (Mac). Does anyone know how DW's drop down menu stands up to this
    compatibility list?

    Murray Guest

  8. #8

    However, if you are evaluating alternatives, I would NOT encourage you to

    Actually, I am not referring to the DW/FW pop up menu combination. What I am referring to is the pop up menu in the DW Behaviors panel.

    I've called Macromedia and they tell me that this menu is compatible in all browser versions 4+ (on all platforms). I'm just a bit skeptical though. That is why I was hoping someone has a bit of experience with these specific menus and can tell me is there is a difference.

    PamS. Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks for the link and the info.

    The site is for a US Air Force base services squadron. So, I'm not worried about search engines at all with this site. Most of the pages are going to be straight text with a photo here and there so I'm also not terribly worried about page size.

    The SOW is pretty specific in that the squadron needs to be able to easily maintain the site within their marketing department. That is why I am leaning towards the DW menu. I think that it will be way easier for them to learn how to makes changes through a WYSIWYG editor like DW than it would to be for them to learn how to modify the js file in Open Cube's Quick Menu (or other DHTML menu).

    My primary concern is that the DW Pop Up Menu is **really** cross browser / cross platform compatible.

    PamS. Guest

  10. #10

    Pam:

    The DW/FW menus are really crossbrowser/crossplatform. But they are NOT
    easily maintained.

    If you want a menu to test you can use this demo -

    http://www.great-web-sights.com/library4d.html

    The link at the bottom does not work. The textarea above the menu shows the
    dynamic text that must be written to every page that contains the menu every
    time the page loads.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "PamS." <com> wrote in message
    about search engines at all with this site. Most of the pages are going to
    be straight text with a photo here and there so I'm also not terribly
    worried about page size.
    maintain the site within their marketing department. That is why I am
    leaning towards the DW menu. I think that it will be way easier for them to
    learn how to makes changes through a WYSIWYG editor like DW than it would
    to be for them to learn how to modify the js file in Open Cube's Quick Menu
    (or other DHTML menu).
    / cross platform compatible.

    Murray Guest