Professional Web Applications Themes

Open source tool for converting Microsoft Access (MDB) to MySQL - MySQL

Hello all, I've a large MDB file created by a bespoke application. I'd like to run a cron job to pull the data from this and put it in a MySQL database through the night. Are there any open source tools that'll achieve this or get me close?...

  1. #1

    Default Open source tool for converting Microsoft Access (MDB) to MySQL

    Hello all,

    I've a large MDB file created by a bespoke application. I'd like to run
    a cron job to pull the data from this and put it in a MySQL database
    through the night.

    Are there any open source tools that'll achieve this or get me close?
    Simon Guest

  2. #2

    In article <individual.net>,
    Simon Dobson <domain.invalid> wrote:

    Off the top of my head, you could install perl and ODBC drivers for
    Access. Will Access run on anything other than a Windows box? If so,
    how were you going to "run a cron job" on a Windows box to pull the data
    out of Access?

    I'm sure there are open source job scheduling tools, maybe even a crond
    that runs on XP. Just curious as you seem to be mixing environments.
    In any case, there is a perl that runs on XP. You may also need a
    compiler and development environment to build the database components,
    however.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Vilain wrote:

    > Off the top of my head, you could install perl and ODBC drivers for
    > Access. Will Access run on anything other than a Windows box? If so,
    > how were you going to "run a cron job" on a Windows box to pull the data
    > out of Access?[/ref]

    It was planned to FTP the file to the Linux server at 1am. I wanted cron
    to run shortly after to get the data out of that.

    There's scheduled tasks (AT) for that :-)

    The best solution for us would be getting the MDB file onto the Linux
    box then having Linux put the data into MySQL tables. The servers aren't
    on the same LAN so opening the ODBC can of worms is something I'd want
    to avoid if at all possible.
    Simon Guest

  4. #4

    Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    > The question remains - can you run your access database on Linux? AFAIK
    > you can't. You can get to it with ODBC from a Linux box, but the
    > database itself must run on a Windows box.[/ref]

    Maybe my original post is misleading. I said I wanted to 'pull' the data
    from the Microsoft database, which suggests the MDB database being
    online and 'live'. I don't want to 'run' the access database, I just
    want to get the data out of it.

    My question is simply this.

    I have an MDB file on a Linux box. Do open-source tools exist to read
    the data from this and put it into a MySQL database?
    Simon Guest

  5. #5

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  6. #6

    Simon Dobson wrote:

    >> The question remains - can you run your access database on Linux?
    >> AFAIK you can't. You can get to it with ODBC from a Linux box, but
    >> the database itself must run on a Windows box.[/ref]
    >
    > Maybe my original post is misleading. I said I wanted to 'pull' the data
    > from the Microsoft database, which suggests the MDB database being
    > online and 'live'. I don't want to 'run' the access database, I just
    > want to get the data out of it.
    >
    > My question is simply this.
    >
    > I have an MDB file on a Linux box. Do open-source tools exist to read
    > the data from this and put it into a MySQL database?[/ref]

    That's the point. NO!

    You need the MS JET engine to access a .mdb file. And that only runs on
    Windows. I don't know of anything which allows you to get the data when
    the .mdb file is on a Unix system.

    Have them export the data and import it into MySQL.

    --
    ==================

  7. #7

    Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    Okay, shame, I'll look into doing the conversion before it arrives at
    the Linux box.
    Simon Guest

  8. #8

    Simon,

    Via ODBC, you can create "linked tables" in Access that point to tables in
    your MySql database. With some exceptions, the linked tables act as though
    the tables were native Access tables. You can move the data via SQL commands
    within the Access application by setting up a query for each table:

    insert MyLinkedTable ...
    select ....
    from MyAccessTable

    If you have to account for duplicate records, etc. the MyLinkedTable table
    could be a staging table in MySQL.

    By updating directly from Access, you can eliminate the export and import
    files. Its pretty straight forward.

    -- Bill

    "Simon Dobson" <domain.invalid> wrote in message

    > Okay, shame, I'll look into doing the conversion before it arrives at the
    > Linux box.[/ref]

    AlterEgo Guest

  9. #9

    Simon Dobson (domain.invalid) wrote:
    : Hello all,

    : I've a large MDB file created by a bespoke application. I'd like to run
    : a cron job to pull the data from this and put it in a MySQL database
    : through the night.

    : Are there any open source tools that'll achieve this or get me close?

    google speaks, it tells me to try

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mdbtools

    never used it myself.

    Malcolm Guest

  10. #10

    Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:

    Hi Malcolm,

    Had a quick peek at that and it looks very interesting. Don't know about
    a 0.6 release from 1994 but it could be just the thing.

    Thanks for the pointer, I'll investigate that more tomorrow when it's
    not 1am!

    S.
    Simon Guest