Professional Web Applications Themes

Open URL in new window - Web Design

Just can't figure it out. I have been to davidbartosik.com (may times) I have read the instructions. I know I have to insert <a target="_blank" href="http://www.domain.com">Link Text</a> But where ? On the original page? Where on the page? In addition to the hyperlink? Help is appreciated. I am lost with this one. Guess I am still a "newbie"....

  1. #1

    Default Open URL in new window

    Just can't figure it out. I have been to davidbartosik.com (may times) I
    have read the instructions. I know I have to insert <a target="_blank"
    href="http://www.domain.com">Link Text</a> But where ? On the original
    page? Where on the page? In addition to the hyperlink? Help is
    appreciated. I am lost with this one. Guess I am still a "newbie".

    Lizzzet Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Open URL in new window

    <a class="txt" target="_blank" href=http://destination url here>what you
    display</a>

    IS the hyperlink.

    You draw an html code fragment on the page where you want the link to be and
    paste this link code.
    I rewrote this on the new FAQ page at
    [url]http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30[/url]

    --
    David Bartosik - MS MVP
    for Publisher help:

    "Lizzzet" <LizzzetNOCAPSdc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Just can't figure it out. I have been to davidbartosik.com (may times) I
    > have read the instructions. I know I have to insert <a
    target="_blank"
    > href="http://www.domain.com">Link Text</a> But where ? On the
    original
    > page? Where on the page? In addition to the hyperlink? Help is
    > appreciated. I am lost with this one. Guess I am still a "newbie".

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  3. #3

    Figured it out but got another problem
    Website opens fine but when clicking the Back arrow, nothing happens. How do
    I get back to my site?
    And how to I review the code inserted ?

  4. #4

    When I click on the Button where I inserted the HTML code, msg I get is:
    HTML code fragment will be converted to graphic when published - code
    willnot be read by browser. did I do something wrong (again).

  5. #5

    If you used

    target="_blank"

    to open the link in a NEW window how could the back button take you back?

    If you want to have someplace for the back button to go back to then do not
    use the target, remove that and use the same window for the links. Removing
    the target removes the need to code your own link.

    --
    David Bartosik - MS MVP
    for Publisher help:
    [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    enter to win Pub 2003:
    [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]

    "Lizzzet" <LizzzetNOCAPSdc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Figured it out but got another problem
    > Website opens fine but when clicking the Back arrow, nothing happens. How
    do
    > I get back to my site?
    > And how to I review the code inserted ?
    >

    > "David Bartosik - MS MVP" <forumsdavidbartosik.com> wrote in message
    > > <a class="txt" target="_blank" href=http://destination url here>what you
    > > display</a>
    > >
    > > IS the hyperlink.
    > >
    > > You draw an html code fragment on the page where you want the link to be
    > and
    > > paste this link code.
    > > I rewrote this on the new FAQ page at
    > > [url]http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30[/url]
    > >
    > > --
    > > David Bartosik - MS MVP
    > > for Publisher help:
    > > [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > > enter to win Pub 2003:
    > > [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]
    > >

    > > "Lizzzet" <LizzzetNOCAPSdc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > Just can't figure it out. I have been to davidbartosik.com (may
    times)
    > > > have read the instructions. I know I have to insert <a
    > > target="_blank"
    > > > href="http://www.domain.com">Link Text</a> But where ? On the
    > > original
    > > > page? Where on the page? In addition to the hyperlink? Help is
    > > > appreciated. I am lost with this one. Guess I am still a "newbie".

    David Bartosik MS MVP Guest

  6. #6

    an html code fragment cannot be used with an object. Publisher writes the
    code to create your object. Code you write and insert is "included" by
    Publisher. Code cannot overlap code. If you want a graphical link versus a
    textual link then you write the link accordingly, meaning you code the
    graphic in, not Publisher. On my site in the web design section I have some
    HTML code tutorials. I strongly encourage you to review this material. All
    your questions could be and can be answered if you had some basic
    understanding of HTML.

  7. #7

    Well, I think I understand. I'll go try again and let you know.
    Thanks

  8. #8

    OK, I did it correctly this time and .... it worked !
    thanks

    > Well, I think I understand. I'll go try again and let you know.
    > Thanks
    >

    > "David Bartosik MS MVP" <forumsdavidbartosik.com> wrote in message
    > > If you used
    > >
    > > target="_blank"
    > >
    > > to open the link in a NEW window how could the back button take you
    back?

    > > If you want to have someplace for the back button to go back to then do
    > not
    > > use the target, remove that and use the same window for the links.
    > Removing
    > > the target removes the need to code your own link.
    > >
    > > --
    > > David Bartosik - MS MVP
    > > for Publisher help:
    > > [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > > enter to win Pub 2003:
    > > [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]
    > >

    > > "Lizzzet" <LizzzetNOCAPSdc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > Figured it out but got another problem
    > > > Website opens fine but when clicking the Back arrow, nothing happens.
    > How
    > > do
    > > > I get back to my site?
    > > > And how to I review the code inserted ?
    > > >

    > > > "David Bartosik - MS MVP" <forumsdavidbartosik.com> wrote in message
    > you

    > be
    > > > and

    > > times)