Professional Web Applications Themes

OpenGL wannabe -- suggestions on how to begin? - Mac Programming

Hi there. I've been doing device-driver programming in C for awhile and have finally decided that since I love Macs and have been using them for 19 years and the developer tools are just sitting there on my TiBook that it's finally time I learned to develop for Mac. :-) I'm working through the Cocoa stuff now and having fun but I'm also interested in game programming so I'd like to learn OpenGL. Apple has a couple of doents related to OpenGL programming on the Mac as well as a lot of code examples on the developer website. Then there ...

  1. #1

    Default OpenGL wannabe -- suggestions on how to begin?

    Hi there. I've been doing device-driver programming in C for awhile and
    have finally decided that since I love Macs and have been using them for
    19 years and the developer tools are just sitting there on my TiBook
    that it's finally time I learned to develop for Mac. :-)

    I'm working through the Cocoa stuff now and having fun but I'm also
    interested in game programming so I'd like to learn OpenGL. Apple has a
    couple of doents related to OpenGL programming on the Mac as well as
    a lot of code examples on the developer website. Then there are all the
    official OpenGL references at [url]www.opengl.org[/url], as well as several books
    out there on OpenGL (many which focus around game programming), but a
    lot of these seem to be Windows-centric.

    Just wondering if anyone here has advice on what order I should tackle
    all of these references in to optimize the learning curve (or if there
    are other, better references I should be turning to). In theory, I'd
    like my "pure OpenGL" knowledge and my "OpenGL on Mac" knowledge to
    develop together so that I can actually produce real programs as my
    OpenGL knowledge increases.

    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Jamal Bernhard Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OpenGL wannabe -- suggestions on how to begin?

    In article
    <jamalbspambegone-FA6967.20011716072003newssvr25-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
    Jamal Bernhard <jamalbspambegonepacbell.goawayspam.net> wrote:
    > Just wondering if anyone here has advice on what order I should tackle
    > all of these references in to optimize the learning curve (or if there
    > are other, better references I should be turning to). In theory, I'd
    > like my "pure OpenGL" knowledge and my "OpenGL on Mac" knowledge to
    > develop together so that I can actually produce real programs as my
    > OpenGL knowledge increases.
    Take a look at the OpenGL and game development tutorials at

    <http://nehe.gamedev.net/> When I first saw the site,
    it only had 36 tutorials. Some of the tutorials were missing Mac
    code, so I wrote the missing ones, and for awhile all of them were up on
    the site. I don't know why the site's owner removed some of them,
    but you can still get them by e-mailing to me.

    I'm proudest of the tutorial for playing a Quicktime movie into
    a texture buffer so it can be texture mapped onto geometry, and
    the tutorial that extracts the splines from a true type font,
    subdivides the resulting complex polygons into sets of triangles,
    extrudes the edges into "3D" text, and displays the text as lighted
    shaded, texture mapped geometries.
    David Phillip Oster Guest

  3. #3

    In article <jdm-883C93.14361619072003peabody.colorado.edu>, James
    Meiss <jdmNOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
    > In article
    > <jamalbspambegone-FA6967.20011716072003newssvr25-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
    > Jamal Bernhard <jamalbspambegonepacbell.goawayspam.net> wrote:
    >
    > > but I'm also
    > > interested in game programming so I'd like to learn OpenGL. Apple has a
    > > couple of doents related to OpenGL programming on the Mac as well as
    > > a lot of code examples on the developer website. Then there are all the
    > > official OpenGL references at [url]www.opengl.org[/url], as well as several books
    > > out there on OpenGL (many which focus around game programming), but a
    > > lot of these seem to be Windows-centric.
    >
    > I wouldn't be without the "Red" and "Blue" books.* These tell me
    > everything I needed to know about OpenGL.
    >
    > They use the GLUT library to do windowing, so it won't help you with mac
    > specific stuff, but at least the codes are portable, and quick to get
    > going.
    >

    > *The OpenGL Programming Guide and OpenGL Reference Manual
    ....and make sure to supplement them with the updated docs on the
    opengl.org site. Other good books are the OpenGL SuperBible, and the
    Edward Angel (sp?) books.

    OpenGL code in itself is platform-agnostic, as you can use a
    combination of GLUT (for window creation and event handling) and OpenGL
    (for the actual rendering).

    The platform-specific tasks of creating an OpenGL context can be
    tricky. For this you want to be on top of the latest apple examples,
    and subscribe to the mac GL mailing list. Little changes (undoented,
    of course) can leave you wondering why your screen is blank. The
    extensions available to you are _sort of_ platform-dependent, in the
    sense that Apple will provide support for more/newer extensions in OS
    updates. Naturally the card's drivers need to support the extensions
    too.

    Please note that there are oos in the GLUT samples on the website,
    and around the web. A good idea is to go through the examples in the
    Red Book very carefully, and ensure that you know what is going to be
    rendered, and then verify that it's rendered correctly. This helped me
    learn a lot.

    Another good tip is to always read back the values of whatever OpenGL
    states are relevant to what you're doing, and send them to a console.
    And always check to see what OpenGL version is running, which
    extensions are available, and which renderer is in use. The Atlantis
    example will show you how to do this.

    There are some major changes in the works/just in for OpenGL, namely
    shaders. If your release schedule and intended customer fits, you may
    want to look at these.
    Mikey Guest

  4. #4

    Jamal Bernhard <jamalbspambegonepacbell.goawayspam.net> wrote:
    > I'm working through the Cocoa stuff now and having fun but I'm also
    > interested in game programming so I'd like to learn OpenGL. Apple has a
    > couple of doents related to OpenGL programming on the Mac as well as
    > a lot of code examples on the developer website. Then there are all the
    > official OpenGL references at [url]www.opengl.org[/url], as well as several books
    > out there on OpenGL (many which focus around game programming), but a
    > lot of these seem to be Windows-centric.
    The red and blue book are a must once you are doing stuff yourself. But
    until then I'd recommend to glance at working code and look how it is
    done.
    <http://sf.net> has a bunch of OpenGL projects.
    Absolutely worth seeing is <http://nehe.gamedev.net/>.
    ATI has a developer zone (with mac sample code) on <http://www.ati.com>