Professional Web Applications Themes

Opening CS2 files with CS3 - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I just sent an important file created in InDesign CS2 to a colleague who says she's using CS 3.0.12. She says she can't open it! I can't believe this could be, but my doentation, of course sheds, no light on later versions. What should she do?...

  1. #1

    Default Opening CS2 files with CS3

    Peter_Aretin@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Opening CS2 files with CS3

    She's not using a later version....she's using an earlier version.

    She's not using CS3, which hasn't even been released yet, she's using CS
    which is actually InDesign 3. CS2 is InDesign 4.

    You need to export to INX and she need to be fully patched to version
    3.0.1 (838).

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    One more thing. If this is so important, she should buy the upgrade. INX
    should never be used for critical files in their final stage of
    production.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    I knew this would happen.

    There is no such thing as InDesign CS3. Adobe cleverly decided to use two totally different version numbering schemes on all of there software in order to confuse the hell out of people. Nice.

    InDesign 2 was replaced with InDesign CS (aka InDesign 3). That was replaced with InDesign CS2 (aka InDesign 4). Your client is using InDesign CS, one version down from yours.

    Export to INX and send that (and all links). Your client will be able to open that, but there may be changes due to features missing in her older version.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    > I knew this would happen

    And yet you stood by and did nothing. <g>

    I actually wrote a light hearted article for InDesign magazine about
    this a while back. I agree, it's confusing. Hopefully, in time it will
    all make sense.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    And yet you stood by and did nothing.

    Hardly. I ranted like a prophet!

    Hopefully, in time it will all make sense.

    If the next version is called InDesign 5, sure. I'd also like to see the programs updated independently, so that there's no rush to release a buggy version of Illustrator (like the last two) just so it doesn't slow up the bundle.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I'd also like to see the programs updated independently

    The only way to get compatible applications in a suite is to synchronize their updates. Otherwise the not-updated app doesn't understand the new stuff the updated app added.
    We had that for years and it was a pain.
    Gerald_Singelmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Nope. Just keep the formats compatible, I can save Illustrator 12 and Photoshop 9 files and place them in InDesign 3 no problem. That's the whole point of using PDF in Illustrator files.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    That's the whole point of using PDF in Illustrator files.

    And sooner or later there will be a PDF2.0 and an Illustrator that uses it. Needs to use it (unless you prefer the hassle between AI10 and AICS). And InDesign updates half a year later...

    I'd much prefer that the development process was honed in a way that a deadline is no catastrophe.
    Gerald_Singelmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I'd much prefer that the development process was honed in a way that a
    deadline is no catastrophe.

    Well, I prefer a method that does not encourage (1) buggy software, and (2) unnecessary filler features just to justify a full version upgrade.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Your definition of filler feature may be someone else's must have
    feature of the decade.

    Bob
    Bob Guest