Professional Web Applications Themes

Opening Illustrator files in InDesign - Adobe Indesign Windows

Before I learned how to use InDesign, I used Illustrator for all my Brochures. Now that I iknow all the functionality of InDesign, I would like to use it, but I don't want to recreate every single one. Is there a way to open and/or import my ai files into InDesign?...

  1. #1

    Default Opening Illustrator files in InDesign

    Michelle_Alexander@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Opening Illustrator files in InDesign

    File>place. Or set the ID clipboard to AICB with preserve paths and copy
    and paste to give you editable object--though not editable text--in
    InDesign.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Not trying to be an a-hole, but if you "know all the functionality of InDesign" yet have to ask how to do one of the most common and basic of tasks, then you don't know all the functionality of InDesign.
    Michael_S._Flynn@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Knowing the functionality and how to use those functions is two
    completely different things.

    I know what a 747 does. I'd have to visit Boeing's U2U forums if I
    wanted to get one of the ground. <g>

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  5. #5

    I don't think that you need to try - you seem to do a good job of it naturally. I'm sorry that you have nothing better to do at night than deconstruct perfectly innocent questions. Additionally, knowing functionality exists and being able to use it are different things.
    Michelle_Alexander@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks Bob. I was hoping to find a way to do move it and keep the text editable. There are multiple graphics and formatted text boxes on each sheet.
    Michelle_Alexander@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Then stick to Illy.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  8. #8

    Michael_S._Flynn wrote:
    > Not trying to be an a-hole, but if you "know all the functionality of
    > InDesign" yet have to ask how to do one of the most common and basic
    > of tasks, then you don't know all the functionality of InDesign.
    I guess you never stopped to think that perhaps she meant "now that I've
    seen how InDesign could benefit my workflow, with it's advanced
    typographical tools and long doent support that Illustrator lacks" or
    something to that effect, rather than literally meaning "I know all
    there is to know about InDesign."

    Jeez...
    Brian Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    J.R. Bishop Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    This is exactly what I was looking for as well. We have many print based brochures layed out in Illustrator because we can work with graphics and text but it would be perfect to now be able to bring those multi page brochures in to indesign and edit the text in one multipage doent instead of editing 22 pages of illustrator files (personally we found ragemaker inferior to illustrator for this and the trade off was worth it at the time - just for the record). So, I have not found anything anywhere that says there's a way to do that. I thought the forum might know of a way but evidently we are out of luck. If someone does know something I would appreciate the knowledge. If not, thanks to those that responded in the spirit of the forum instead of being argumentative.
    Kate_Humphrey@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Michelle, Kate

    It may be a lot of work up front, but in the long run you will probably save time by setting up your layouts in InDesign the traditional way. I would make each piece of art (drawings and photos) an individual file, then place them and size them in an InDesign file. The text can be copied from the Illustrator files, and you can set up some styles in InDesign to help with tedious formatting. As a time saver, you could place the entire original Illustrator layout on a bottom layer in InDesign, then place the elements individually on a top layer and delete the bottom layer when your done.

    If you have any repeating elements in all of those Illustrator layouts, this method will save you time by changing drawings and photos only once in the linked source file.

    -B
    Brian_Schlueter@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Hello,
    I'm interested in exactly this same question. I have used Illustrator for layout purposes in the past, but I'd like to move these .AI files to InDesign. The man pages say you can do this but don't give a lot of detail on how. I am unable to Open an .AI directly, InDesign just refuses to do it. I can place the .AI file, but when it comes in it is completely rasterized and looks like garbage. I can copy objects in Illustrator and paste them in InDesign. This method seems to work best as the vectors come in like I expect, but I lose my overall placement. Am I assuming correctly from what has been written here that InDesign is incapable of directly opening an Illustrator file complete with doent size and registration?

    Joey Ponthieux
    Joey_Ponthieux@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Change your display to high quality and the placed Illy files will look
    fine.

    And yes, you're correct, you can't just open and Illy file in ID.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  14. #14

    Am I assuming...

    Yes, InDesign will only place or paste AI files, and you have discovered the limitations. Keep in mind that ID is not a replacement for AI. Also note that the 'garbage' that you saw was only a screen preview. If you adjust your view settings, the placed image will appear as crisply as it did in AI.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Thanks. The High Quality display setting makes a lot of difference in this case. I am deducing then that a "place" of the .AI file rasterizes the file into a bitmap? I guess this would be adequate for quick and dirty work but the text won't be editable anymore. Looks like I'll be a cuttin and a pastin for a while.......
    Thanks again.
    Joey
    Joey_Ponthieux@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    No, it doesn't rasterize the ai file into a bitmap. It reads the native vector file type by reading the PDF info or the PostScript. But you can't edit the text of the placed ai file within InDesign. You will have to Edit Original back in Illustrator. Alt/Opt double click to jump the graphic back into Illy.

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  17. #17

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S._Flynnadobeforums.com View Post
    Not trying to be an a-hole, but if you "know all the functionality of InDesign" yet have to ask how to do one of the most common and basic of tasks, then you don't know all the functionality of InDesign.
    then you are trying to be an
    Unregistered Guest

  18. #18

    I like InDesign for many things esp. the size of the pdf's I can send to my clients. But it is in no way great with stuff that i already have in Illustrator I expected it to be alot better...sometimes i just place a hires pdf in indesign...does anyone have any real answers...??? that has NO business responding I bet his clients "LOVE" him
    Unregistered Guest

  19. #19

    Very well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Michael_S._Flynn wrote:

    I guess you never stopped to think that perhaps she meant "now that I've
    seen how InDesign could benefit my workflow, with it's advanced
    typographical tools and long doent support that Illustrator lacks" or
    something to that effect, rather than literally meaning "I know all
    there is to know about InDesign."

    Jeez...
    gypsysojourner is offline Junior Member
    Mar 2013