Professional Web Applications Themes

Opening pdf files in Internet Explorer with OS X 10.0.3 - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

Help! I just upgraded to 10.0.3 from 9.1 (not very happily, I might add) and I can no longer open PDF files in the Internet Browser, even after changing the file helper settings in IE's preferences after downloading Acrobat 5.0 again (although it's already on the old OS 9.1). Perhaps I didn't add the right changes, but I'm having no luck. Any advice out there?...

  1. #1

    Default Opening pdf files in Internet Explorer with OS X 10.0.3

    Carolyn_Shea@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    The bad news is that OSX does not support opening PDFs within a
    web-browser ... yep ... it's not good...

    The better news is that if you rid yourself of 10.0.3 and upgrade to
    10.3.x quickly then you have a good chance of enjoying OSX...

    Jon
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The bad news is that OSX does not support opening PDFs within a web-browser

    The good news is that there's a third party plug-in that works reasonably.

    PDF Browser Plug-in:

    <http://www.schubert-it.com/download/>
    graffiti Guest

  4. #4

    Yep - I know 'cos I use it ... but softly-softly ... ;-)

  5. #5

    The bad news has nothing what so ever to do with Apple or OSX. There are other browser plugins that work fine with OSX such as quicktime RealPlayer, even Media Player for Mac.

    Don't let Jon paper over the oversight. It can be done, its just Adobe didn't want to be bothered. There is talk they "may" consider bringing it back for version 7 or 8 (heck that could be 10 years from now). "They claim" that OSX is such a moving target they could not get anything going.

    Although Mr Schubert's plugin is a good stop gap measure. It doesn't allow for the filling out and printing of forms while within the browser.

    This probably is the hidden agenda behind it. Because when Acrobat 6 came out there is two different versions for the Mac and three for the PC. The standard version is for the new kid on the block who might make 8 or 10 Pdf's a Year. And so leaves out forms creation for about $100.00.

    Then there is the pro version, the one that everyone should really have for $150.00 more. This one does allow for forms design.

    I "almost" made the mistake of buying the standard version until I read the back of the box in CompUSA. Luckily a complete stranger found the box for the Pro Version and I bought the Pro version update. Since I already had the e5.0.5 version which already had many of the features including Forms creation.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Well .. the fact is that it is not implemented in Acrobat 6 ...

    The Schubert-IT plug-in is great .. but is a Quicktime variation of the
    'live' PDF file ...

    Forgeting if Adobe 'could not be bothered' or not ... the official
    stance is that since Apple re-assembled the OS between beta releases of
    OSX and subsequent releases from Jaguar to Panther ... then a moving
    target was hard to implement within Acrobat 6...

    In any case - it don't work ... and until Acrobat 7 is released then we
    have to put up with it .... I'm in a position whereby the Window's
    equivalent is much more powerful than the Mac version and my clients are
    not too pleased either but what can we do ... ?

  7. #7

    My position is if Quicktime and Media Player, and even RealPlayer can keep up. with all the different versions, the pdfviewer could too. seriously there have only been three versions not counting the beta release of OSX (.0) there was.1, .2, now .3.

    All the in-between stuff was either minor bug fixes, system tweaks, and security updates. That's like theSR pack on windows. The only major departure was the switch from BSD4.3 in OSX.2 and FreeBSD5.x in OSX.3 UNIX is UNIX is UNIX. each time commands are added they are added, and the others remain or combined.

    From what I understand the new OSX.4 will be the new 64 bit system. And from that point on their will no longer be annual updates as now. They will go back to the old system where .1 revisions will be bug fixes, system tweaks and security updates. Software vendors will have a stable product to build against with over a period of years not months.

    As for being pleased I agree with you what can we do... just stew and boil because Adobe refuses to keep up.

    Adobe had better get their act together because the next system release for the PC that new fangled 64 bit system will also be UNIX based as well. So they had better learn UNIX, if they want to stay around. Its not just an apple thing anymore.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest