Professional Web Applications Themes

Opening popup window - Macromedia Fireworks

"PALCON" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote: > I've tried to attach a javascript to open a small popup when the banner is clicked. > > That works fine, but I find that all anigifs on the home page stop cycling after I do that. > > This happens only on IE6 running on Windows. It happens when you open a second window that steals focus from the main page. I don't know much about JavaScript, but I suspect that you need to use a script that returns the focus to the main page when it opens. Best regards, Linda Rathgeber ---------------- Victoriana | ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Opening popup window

    "PALCON" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I've tried to attach a javascript to open a small popup when the banner is clicked.
    >
    > That works fine, but I find that all anigifs on the home page stop cycling after I do that.
    >
    > This happens only on IE6 running on Windows.
    It happens when you open a second window that steals focus from the main
    page. I don't know much about JavaScript, but I suspect that you need to
    use a script that returns the focus to the main page when it opens.

    Best regards,
    Linda Rathgeber
    ----------------
    Victoriana | [url]http://www.projectseven.com/dpacks/vic/index.htm[/url]
    Theme Pack 03 - Club | [url]www.projectseven.com[/url] |mm2| themes
    Contributor *PVII Foundations* [url]www.projectseven.com[/url]
    Co-author *Playing with Fire* [url]www.playingwithfire.com[/url]
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | [url]www.macromedia.com/go/team[/url]
    -----------------

    Linda Rathgeber Guest

  2. #2

    Linda,

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    Solved my own problem.

    Discovered that Dreamweaver's built in 'Open Browser Window' behavior works fine ... with some adjusting so that the popup opens on MouseDown rather than MouseOver.

    I had been using a generic 'open window' script.

    PALCON webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Why use MouseDown? Using onClick is more usual, and if you are applying the
    behavior to an image you need to use the parenthesized events (onClick)
    rather than the ones without parentheses (you may only see those in
    parentheses, anyhow, since the list is context sensitive).

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "PALCON" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Linda,
    >
    > Thanks for the quick reply.
    >
    > Solved my own problem.
    >
    > Discovered that Dreamweaver's built in 'Open Browser Window' behavior
    works fine ... with some adjusting so that the popup opens on MouseDown
    rather than MouseOver.

    > I had been using a generic 'open window' script.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    "OnClick" is apparently what caused the original problem: frozen anigifs.

    "OnMouseDown" works fine. Don't know how it could work any better. Works in every browser I've tried.

    PALCON webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    OnClick is triggered with an onMouseDown/up combination.

    OnMouseDown is only triggered with the down stroke.

    OnMouseUp is only triggered on mouseup after an onMouseDown.

    The onClick could not have been the source of your original problems.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > "OnClick" is apparently what caused the original problem: frozen anigifs.
    >
    > "OnMouseDown" works fine. Don't know how it could work any better. Works
    in every browser I've tried.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  6. #6

    In Dreamweaver, select the hyperlink and apply the open browser window
    behavior to it.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "ubriggsl99999" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I am new at using Macromedia to make webpages, and I was trying to figure
    out what I need to do to make a pop up window come up when you click a
    hyperlink button.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  7. #7

    I don't rule out the possibility this could be a quirk unique to my computer, but that does not look likely.

    For an example of what I am talking about, go to [url]http://www.midhudsonnews.com/index-test2.html[/url].

    The top "Foster Parent" banner in the right column is "onClick" and on my system, causes all anigifs on that page to freeze, but only on IE6 on my Win XP Pro system. I've had the problem before. Other browsers seem to work fine.

    The second "Foster Parent" banner and the black "Orange County..." banner both use "onMouseDown" without causing any problems.

    I'd be interested if you notice the same symptoms on your system.

    Referring URLs
    [url]http://www.midhudsonnews.com/index-test2.html[/url]

    PALCON webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Murray *TMM* Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    Our stats, and ad revenues, are growing quite nicely, and we're not getting complaints. The front page (not exactly what you are looking at) is sold out, so we're not adding any new banners to that page, until someone drops off, which rarely happens, despite higher fees.

    I will, however, try your suggestions.

    PALCON webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest