Professional Web Applications Themes

OpenServer 5.0.4 on DL380G3 - k_trap panics - SCO

I'm trying to install OpenServer 5.0.4 on a HP DL380G3 and am panics such as: Panic: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E Notice: ciss <slot 0> Event Notifier Disabled From what I have gathered on newsgroup postings the second line is merely a notification from a daemon that it has stopped monitoring it and can safely be ignored. Due to some proprietary software I am stuck at this version. I have disabled USB and ASR. Additionally I have a Smart Array 5i Plus controller with a RAID 5 disk array established consisting of 72 GB hard drives. I also ...

  1. #1

    Default OpenServer 5.0.4 on DL380G3 - k_trap panics

    I'm trying to install OpenServer 5.0.4 on a HP DL380G3 and am panics
    such as:

    Panic: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E
    Notice: ciss <slot 0> Event Notifier Disabled

    From what I have gathered on newsgroup postings the second line is
    merely a notification from a daemon that it has stopped monitoring it
    and can safely be ignored.

    Due to some proprietary software I am stuck at this version.

    I have disabled USB and ASR. Additionally I have a Smart Array 5i
    Plus controller with a RAID 5 disk array established consisting of 72
    GB hard drives. I also have an iLO card in it as well.

    So the basic setup is:
    DL380G3 - 2.8 GHz / 512 MB cache
    1.5 GB RAM
    Smart Array 5i Plus controller
    2 Embedded Gigabit NIC
    Battery backed write cache enabler
    DVD ROM

    I have tried using different boot strings such as:
    defbootstr link=ciss hd=Sdsk Srom=wd(0,0,0,0)
    defbootstr link=ciss link=ida hd=Sdsk Srom=wd(0,0,0,0)

    I have seen where a few people have installed 5.0.4 on newer hardware
    but I am wondering what boot string they have used, etc. This server
    was running another operating system without any problems and so I
    doubt that there is a hardware problem behind the scenes.

    Thanks!

    Mark
    Mark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OpenServer 5.0.4 on DL380G3 - k_trap panics

    Mark M wrote:

    Let's rewind to this, first. That statement can mean a lot of different
    things:

    - your software vendor won't support their product on newer OSR5 (says
    it won't work)

    - your software vendor won't support their product on newer OSR5 (says
    they haven't tried it)

    - you've tried it and it actually didn't work

    - other variations

    It's really fairly rare for an older program to not work on newer OSR5.
    You should probably be starting out by trying it.

    The software vendor says they won't support it? Well, SCO and HP will
    tell you that they won't support OSR504 on a DL380G3 with Pentium 4 CPU.
    Just for starters, 504 doesn't support the power/heat management in the
    P4; you are at risk of damaging the CPU.

    The panic could be pursued. Tell us exactly what you're doing when it
    panics (is it during ISL or later?), and give the EIP address from the
    panic. If it was post-ISL then you should have a crash dump in
    /dev/swap: boot the system to single-user mode, run:

    # crash -d /dev/swap

    and post the output.

    Bela Guest

  3. #3

    Mark M wrote:

    5.0.4 is not a supported O/S on that hardware, but may work.

    Try disabling the dual channel SCSI controller also, and make sure the
    5i does not share an interrupt with anything else.

    defbootstr link=ciss hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)

    is correct for 5.0.6 or 5.0.7

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    Mike Brown <ca> wrote in message news:<ca>...

    > 5.0.4 is not a supported O/S on that hardware, but may work.

    > Try disabling the dual channel SCSI controller also, and make sure the
    > 5i does not share an interrupt with anything else.

    > defbootstr link=ciss hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    >
    > is correct for 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
    > [/ref]

    I went ahead and started the install on a DL380G2 and it looks like it
    may work out ok on it. I am able to get further and was wondering if
    it was the controller card in the G3 that was giving me issues. So I
    went a tinkerin'...

    I took the 5300 controller from the G2 and put it in the G3. On the
    G3 I then went ahead and disabled the 5i+ and was using ONLY the 5300
    controller. I still encountered the same panic. I know that the
    above configuration probably isn't supported by HP either, however, I
    was trying to determine what hardware was giving me issues.

    I was using EFS 5.60a and it doesn't really specify whether it
    supports the 5i+ or a 5304 controller which I would also consider
    using. It lists the 5300 and 5i.

    This is a system coming off a Proliant 5000 which has Oracle 7.3.3 and
    7.1.6 running on it using SQL*Forms. Since there are so many
    'customized' items on this setup I wanted to maintain the exact same
    configuration if possible on the OS / software side of things. If it
    is possible to use OpenServer 5.0.7 with the 5i+ controller I would be
    open to trying it.

    Does SCO have a time bombed demo license available for 5.0.7 that I
    can download?

    Mark
    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    Mark M wrote:

    > > 5.0.4 is not a supported O/S on that hardware, but may work.
    > >

    > > Try disabling the dual channel SCSI controller also, and make sure the
    > > 5i does not share an interrupt with anything else.
    > >

    > > defbootstr link=ciss hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    > >
    > > is correct for 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
    > > [/ref]
    >
    > I went ahead and started the install on a DL380G2 and it looks like it
    > may work out ok on it. I am able to get further and was wondering if
    > it was the controller card in the G3 that was giving me issues. So I
    > went a tinkerin'...
    >
    > I took the 5300 controller from the G2 and put it in the G3. On the
    > G3 I then went ahead and disabled the 5i+ and was using ONLY the 5300
    > controller. I still encountered the same panic. I know that the
    > above configuration probably isn't supported by HP either, however, I
    > was trying to determine what hardware was giving me issues.
    >
    > I was using EFS 5.60a and it doesn't really specify whether it
    > supports the 5i+ or a 5304 controller which I would also consider
    > using. It lists the 5300 and 5i.
    >
    > This is a system coming off a Proliant 5000 which has Oracle 7.3.3 and
    > 7.1.6 running on it using SQL*Forms. Since there are so many
    > 'customized' items on this setup I wanted to maintain the exact same
    > configuration if possible on the OS / software side of things. If it
    > is possible to use OpenServer 5.0.7 with the 5i+ controller I would be
    > open to trying it.
    >
    > Does SCO have a time bombed demo license available for 5.0.7 that I
    > can download?
    >
    > Mark[/ref]

    A EVAL license comes with the 5.0.7 media that you can use.

    EFS5.60a should support the 5304 controller, it uses the CISS driver.

    I am having weird problems with a ML370G3 and the 2.8Ghz Xeon processor,
    the machine will freeze up hard at run time, and I have seen it freeze
    just loading 5.0.7. There may be a 5.0.6/7 issue with ProLiants and
    the fast processor/memory combination. I have a case open at both
    HP and SCO, and have narrowed the failure down to a short sequence
    on a running system that will cause the lockup in a minute or two.
    The same exact setup on a slower Xeon exhibits no problems.

    Likely the best thing to do is open a case with SCO, and have someone
    look at the panic dump.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Guest

  6. #6

    Mike Brown <ca> wrote in message news:<ca>...

    > > I went ahead and started the install on a DL380G2 and it looks like it
    > > may work out ok on it. I am able to get further and was wondering if
    > > it was the controller card in the G3 that was giving me issues. So I
    > > went a tinkerin'...
    > >
    > > I took the 5300 controller from the G2 and put it in the G3. On the
    > > G3 I then went ahead and disabled the 5i+ and was using ONLY the 5300
    > > controller. I still encountered the same panic. I know that the
    > > above configuration probably isn't supported by HP either, however, I
    > > was trying to determine what hardware was giving me issues.
    > >
    > > I was using EFS 5.60a and it doesn't really specify whether it
    > > supports the 5i+ or a 5304 controller which I would also consider
    > > using. It lists the 5300 and 5i.
    > >
    > > This is a system coming off a Proliant 5000 which has Oracle 7.3.3 and
    > > 7.1.6 running on it using SQL*Forms. Since there are so many
    > > 'customized' items on this setup I wanted to maintain the exact same
    > > configuration if possible on the OS / software side of things. If it
    > > is possible to use OpenServer 5.0.7 with the 5i+ controller I would be
    > > open to trying it.
    > >
    > > Does SCO have a time bombed demo license available for 5.0.7 that I
    > > can download?
    > >
    > > Mark[/ref]
    >
    > A EVAL license comes with the 5.0.7 media that you can use.
    >
    > EFS5.60a should support the 5304 controller, it uses the CISS driver.
    >
    > I am having weird problems with a ML370G3 and the 2.8Ghz Xeon processor,
    > the machine will freeze up hard at run time, and I have seen it freeze
    > just loading 5.0.7. There may be a 5.0.6/7 issue with ProLiants and
    > the fast processor/memory combination. I have a case open at both
    > HP and SCO, and have narrowed the failure down to a short sequence
    > on a running system that will cause the lockup in a minute or two.
    > The same exact setup on a slower Xeon exhibits no problems.
    >
    > Likely the best thing to do is open a case with SCO, and have someone
    > look at the panic dump.
    >
    > Mike[/ref]

    I just had them next day me a copy of 5.0.7 media kit. So I'll give
    that a try on the DL380G3 and see how it works with the 5i+
    controller.

    Mark
    Mark Guest