Professional Web Applications Themes

OpenServer 5.0.7 Maint Pack went bad... - SCO

I thought that I would be proactive by downloading and installing the maintenance pack released July 31. So, I downloaded OSR507MP and used custom to install it. The installation proceeded normally for about a minute, until I got an error stating that it could not open VOL.000.007. I checked and, sure enough, I had not downloaded that file (although I had the other 30-something files). I downloaded VOL.000.007 and tried the installation again. It failed almost immediately with an error indicating "The custom+ binary (backend) process has died". Clicking on DETAILS yields "Assertion failed: path != NULL, file "dbaseStanza.C", line ...

  1. #1

    Default OpenServer 5.0.7 Maint Pack went bad...

    I thought that I would be proactive by downloading and installing the
    maintenance pack released July 31. So, I downloaded OSR507MP and used
    custom to install it.

    The installation proceeded normally for about a minute, until I got an
    error stating that it could not open VOL.000.007. I checked and, sure
    enough, I had not downloaded that file (although I had the other
    30-something files).

    I downloaded VOL.000.007 and tried the installation again. It failed
    almost immediately with an error indicating "The custom+ binary
    (backend) process has died". Clicking on DETAILS yields "Assertion
    failed: path != NULL, file "dbaseStanza.C", line 484".

    So, I tried removing the maintenance pack, rebooting and reinstalling.
    Same error. I then installed each of the service pack options
    one-by-one. The ones causing the issue appear to be the
    "Supplemental graphics, web & x11 libraries" and "Perl 5.8.0". I do
    not have Apache installed - just the base OS and GUI.

    At this point, the system is working well except that trying to use
    man yields "dynamic linker: lynx could not open libz.s0.1" (the file
    doesn't exist on the system) and Mozilla won't run (double clicking
    the icon has no result - no errors or anything else).

    If anyone has any ideas how I can reciover from this, I would really
    appreciate it.

    And, if you are planning to apply osr507mp, make sure that your system
    is adequately backed-up, that you download all the files and that you
    check the box to save copies of the old files on-disk.

    Thanks for any assistance!

    Ken Morley
    Ken Morley Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 Maint Pack went bad...

    "Scott McMillan" <smcmusa.net> wrote in message
    > On 4 Aug 2003 12:45:25 -0700, [email]kenjmtg.com[/email] (Ken Morley) wrote:
    >
    > >I thought that I would be proactive by downloading and installing the
    > >maintenance pack released July 31. So, I downloaded OSR507MP and used
    > >custom to install it.
    > >
    > >The installation proceeded normally for about a minute, until I got an
    > >error stating that it could not open VOL.000.007. I checked and, sure
    > >enough, I had not downloaded that file (although I had the other
    > >30-something files).
    > >
    > >I downloaded VOL.000.007 and tried the installation again. It failed
    > >almost immediately with an error indicating "The custom+ binary
    > >(backend) process has died". Clicking on DETAILS yields "Assertion
    > >failed: path != NULL, file "dbaseStanza.C", line 484".
    > >
    > >So, I tried removing the maintenance pack, rebooting and reinstalling.
    > > Same error. I then installed each of the service pack options
    > >one-by-one. The ones causing the issue appear to be the
    > >"Supplemental graphics, web & x11 libraries" and "Perl 5.8.0". I do
    > >not have Apache installed - just the base OS and GUI.
    > >
    > >At this point, the system is working well except that trying to use
    > >man yields "dynamic linker: lynx could not open libz.s0.1" (the file
    > >doesn't exist on the system) and Mozilla won't run (double clicking
    > >the icon has no result - no errors or anything else).
    > >
    > >If anyone has any ideas how I can reciover from this, I would really
    > >appreciate it.
    >
    > The file OSR507MP1.HTM (or OSR507MP1.LTR for straight text) included
    > with the Maintenance Pack gives a very detailed 19-step removal
    > procedure. Did that not work for you?

    What is easily overlooked is the requirement to RE-INSTALL, from the
    original 5.0.7 CD, the half-dozen or so listed packages that were
    replaced in their entirety during installation of 507mp.

    We've not often (if at all) run into this requirement in the past. Usually
    when you remove a patch, the files backed up during installation are
    restored during the removal process.

    But since 507mp replaces entire packages instead of simply patching
    individual files, no attempt is made to backup the older versions.
    So removing 507mp is equivalent to removing those half-dozen or
    so packages from the system, some of which are critical to the
    doentation system, as mentioned in the release notes.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:10:51 GMT, "Bob Bailin"
    <72027.3605compuserve.com> wrote:

    >"Scott McMillan" <smcmusa.net> wrote in message
    >news:so8viv0ff7oiurhsar5274fpd6no72h9gb4ax.com.. .
    >> On 4 Aug 2003 12:45:25 -0700, [email]kenjmtg.com[/email] (Ken Morley) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I thought that I would be proactive by downloading and installing the
    >> >maintenance pack released July 31. So, I downloaded OSR507MP and used
    >> >custom to install it.
    >> >
    >> >The installation proceeded normally for about a minute, until I got an
    >> >error stating that it could not open VOL.000.007. I checked and, sure
    >> >enough, I had not downloaded that file (although I had the other
    >> >30-something files).
    >> >
    >> >I downloaded VOL.000.007 and tried the installation again. It failed
    >> >almost immediately with an error indicating "The custom+ binary
    >> >(backend) process has died". Clicking on DETAILS yields "Assertion
    >> >failed: path != NULL, file "dbaseStanza.C", line 484".
    >> >
    >> >So, I tried removing the maintenance pack, rebooting and reinstalling.
    >> > Same error. I then installed each of the service pack options
    >> >one-by-one. The ones causing the issue appear to be the
    >> >"Supplemental graphics, web & x11 libraries" and "Perl 5.8.0". I do
    >> >not have Apache installed - just the base OS and GUI.
    >> >
    >> >At this point, the system is working well except that trying to use
    >> >man yields "dynamic linker: lynx could not open libz.s0.1" (the file
    >> >doesn't exist on the system) and Mozilla won't run (double clicking
    >> >the icon has no result - no errors or anything else).
    >> >
    >> >If anyone has any ideas how I can reciover from this, I would really
    >> >appreciate it.
    >>
    >> The file OSR507MP1.HTM (or OSR507MP1.LTR for straight text) included
    >> with the Maintenance Pack gives a very detailed 19-step removal
    >> procedure. Did that not work for you?
    >>

    >What is easily overlooked is the requirement to RE-INSTALL, from the
    >original 5.0.7 CD, the half-dozen or so listed packages that were
    >replaced in their entirety during installation of 507mp.
    Which is why I made a point of referring to the "19-step removal
    procedure", steps 8 - 19 being the reinstall of those packages :-(
    19 steps to recover from a Maintenance Release? Ouch!!
    (Although better than the M$ way: Format, reinstall OS/apps, ...)

    >We've not often (if at all) run into this requirement in the past. Usually
    >when you remove a patch, the files backed up during installation are
    >restored during the removal process.
    Very true, which is why I asked the OP about his attempt at removal.

    >But since 507mp replaces entire packages instead of simply patching
    >individual files, no attempt is made to backup the older versions.
    >So removing 507mp is equivalent to removing those half-dozen or
    >so packages from the system, some of which are critical to the
    >doentation system, as mentioned in the release notes.
    >
    >Bob

    Good thing there are SuperTars! As Bill V. pointed out, it is much
    easier to perform a full backup to be used as a restore point *before*
    installing new SW than it is to try to piece-meal a trashed system
    back together, no matter whose fault the trashing was.

    Scott McMillan

    Scott McMillan Guest