Professional Web Applications Themes

Opentype - Adobe Indesign Windows

General font question: I believe I just read in either the ID or PM forum that Opentype fonts can do fractions quite well, much better than Type 1 or TT. Assuming that's true, I have a modest pile of Adobe Type 1 fonts, for which Adobe now only offers Opentype versions. Do I need to repurchase my fonts to get Opentype? -John O...

  1. #1

    Default Opentype

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Opentype

    Unfortunately, yes, but you may have several otfs already if you installed the Creative Suite. If you have expert ps1 fonts, they also make nice fractions, but are more of a pain to use. The reason otfs make nice fractions is that they have superior and inferior numbers which are better in thickness than a scaled font.
    Philo_Calhoun@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    But bear in mind that you need an app that will handle the advanced features of OT fonts as well - PM, for example, won't.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Also, bear in mind that OpenType facilitates the things we're talking about here, but not all OpenType fonts are equally equipped. From Adobe, it's the Pro fonts that have these features, but not even all of them have all of the features.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Ah yes, the pro versions have all the neat features. Looks like all the
    fonts we use are converted to OT, but there's nothing new in them except
    maybe the cross-platform thing and a euro, which doesn't offer me
    anything...especially if I have to repurchase. So OT is a nice idea, but of
    no value to us. Hm.

  6. #6

    Actually, "Pro" is really a designation of language support; quite a few of the Standard fonts have added goodies as well. Basically any of them that had expert sets before now have those characters merged in.

    As you may have gathered, if you go to the web page for the particular font (at <http://www.adobe.com/type)> you can see what features are available in each by means of the cyan blue icons on the right.

    Which particular font families are you looking at?

    Thomas_Phinney@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    > Which particular font families are you looking at?

    Optima, Palatino, Stone Serif, Stone Sans. Traditional, boring stuff, but we
    need to do a lot of odd fractions. When I click the blue fraction icon for
    Caslon Pro, "The creation of arbitrary fractions" catches my eye and
    imagination.

    What I read before (in this forum, probably) was that OT 'does' all this
    stuff, but I see that OT actually 'allows' lots of new features. I was
    excited that we might be able to do something new/better, but possibly not.
    If nothing else, I know a lot more about OT today. :-)