Professional Web Applications Themes

Operation must use an updateable query. - ASP Database

This is the error that I get: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query. It worked previously before I installed Jet 4.0 SP 8 b/c Access 2003 requested it. Database is in Access 2002 format. This is what I'm doing. --------------------------------- Set Conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") Conn.Open "driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};dbq=" & g_DatabasePath & "; Data Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" Set RSw=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet") RSw.CursorLocation = 3 RSw.LockType = 3 sQuery="Select * from People;" RSw.Open sQuery, Conn RSw.AddNew RSw("Name")=sName RSw.Update RSw.Close Conn.Close --------- and in another instance just by replacing the last 5 lines with the following: RSw("Name")=sName RSw.Update RSw.Close Conn.Close...

  1. #1

    Default Operation must use an updateable query.

    ---------------------------------

    Set Conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Conn.Open "driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};dbq="
    & g_DatabasePath & "; Data
    Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"

    Set RSw=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
    RSw.CursorLocation = 3
    RSw.LockType = 3

    sQuery="Select * from People;"
    RSw.Open sQuery, Conn

    RSw.AddNew
    RSw("Name")=sName
    RSw.Update
    RSw.Close
    Conn.Close

    --------- and in another instance just by replacing the
    last 5 lines with the following:

    RSw("Name")=sName
    RSw.Update
    RSw.Close
    Conn.Close

    Frustrated Guest

  2. #2

    Search under [url]www.aspfaq.com[/url]

    Most likely a permissions problem with Internet Guest
    Account modifying the database.

    Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Operation must use an updateable query.

    We heard you the first time. ;]

    Ray at work
    "Frustrated" <icecold_2hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This is the error that I get:

    Ray at Guest

  4. #4

    Hello,

    I am using NT4
    I move a web site code form one server to another server. but appear below
    error.
    the web page use access

    please help and thank you for your time

    alex

    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable
    query.

    /eng/products/add_interested.asp, line 24

    Alex Li Guest

  5. #5

    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2062[/url]

    Then see [url]www.connectionstring.com[/url] and get an OLEDB connection string.

    Ray at work

  6. #6

    Make sure your db is not read only, & that the user has modify
    permissions to it (usually IUSR_{Machine})

    Ray at <%=sLocation%> wrote:
    > [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2062[/url]
    >
    > Then see [url]www.connectionstring.com[/url] and get an OLEDB connection string.
    >
    > Ray at work
    >
    > "Alex Li" <alex.libnp.com.hk> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I am using NT4
    >>I move a web site code form one server to another server. but appear below
    >>error.
    >>the web page use access
    >>
    >>please help and thank you for your time
    >>
    >>alex
    >>

    >>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    >>
    >>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable
    >>query.
    >>
    >>/eng/products/add_interested.asp, line 24

    cvb Guest

  7. #7

    When i want to insert data in database with:
    "conn.execute sql"
    i get error message for this line:
    "Operation must use an updateable query".

    I read that i should change security options for folder that contains this
    database...but in Windows2000 i DONT have security tag in folder
    properties!! please help me to get security tag in w2000!!! what i must to
    do???

    Of course, if you had some other solution-proposals, please tell me...

    thanks.

    krunom Guest

  8. #8

    "krunom" <krunommonu.rk> wrote in message
    > When i want to insert data in database with:
    > "conn.execute sql"
    > i get error message for this line:
    > "Operation must use an updateable query".
    >
    > I read that i should change security options for folder that contains this
    > database...but in Windows2000 i DONT have security tag in folder
    > properties!! please help me to get security tag in w2000!!! what i must to
    > do???

    sounds like you don't have write permissions to the file. now way around it,
    you need write permissions

    > Of course, if you had some other solution-proposals, please tell me...
    >
    > thanks.

    Slim Guest

  9. #9

    "Slim" <slimslim.com> wrote in message
    > sounds like you don't have write permissions to the file. now way around
    it,
    > you need write permissions

    i have now security tab and there i set write permitions, but it still

  10. #10

    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2062[/url]

    Check the user you are logging in as, if it is a peon with no rights, well,
    guess what? You don't have the rights to grant rights to others. Next,
    check to see whether or not you have enabled simple file sharing.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] Guest

  11. #11

    i gave rights to "other people" to write and modify .mdb and also the folder
    that contains .mdb, but, it STILL doesnt work!!!
    and i checked all possibilities from FAQ, and it STILL doesnt work!!!

    : (

    im desperate...

    krunom Guest

  12. #12

    it works on my computer, but it doesnt work when i upload whole stuff... why

    : ( ???

    krunom Guest

  13. #13

    What does "upload whole stuff" mean? It works on your computer, but not at
    your web host? If so, have you mentioned this problem to your host?

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    > it works on my computer, but it doesnt work when i upload whole stuff...
    > why
    >
    > : ( ???

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] Guest

  14. #14

    "krunom" wrote in message news:c5a3o4$93s$1bagan.srce.hr...
    : it works on my computer, but it doesnt work when i upload whole stuff...
    why

    NTFS file system is required to set security permissions.
    Your anonymous user [IUSR_COMPUTERNAME] needs 'modify' permissions.
    Your administrative account(s) need(s) 'Full' permissions.
    The SYSTEM account needs 'Full' permissions.

    HTH...

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall Guest

  15. #15

    "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" <aaronTRASHaspfaq.com> wrote in message
    > What does "upload whole stuff" mean? It works on your computer, but not
    at
    > your web host? If so, have you mentioned this problem to your host?

    yes... but my host is saying that they dont have this problem...they are
    hosting similar asp-db applications and they dont have this problem... only
    I have this problem... ?

    I moved my whole web-application in other folder on host-server (root-folder
    from my friend), and there it WORKS!!! But in my folder it doesnt work?!
    why?!

    krunom Guest

  16. #16

    ohmmm....

    its hosting problem... and they are apologize and they fixed this problem
    with some new permissions...

    NOW WHOLE STUFF WORKS!!!

    thanks...

    krunom Guest

  17. #17

    I have run in to that error message when I had the
    database open and the table I was trying to write to in
    design mode (Access). This happens a lot since I often
    have the DB open for modifications / field verification
    while developing.

    Try closing all tables if you have the DB open.

    Me Padre Guest