Professional Web Applications Themes

operation must use updateable query - ASP Database

Hi everyone. I am bulding my site with Dreamweaver (my ASP knowladge is limited), and I am getting the above error while trying to insert a record. The connection code looks like that: <% // FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm" // Type="ADO" // DesigntimeType="ADO" // HTTP="false" // Catalog="" // Schema="" var MM_subscribers_STRING = "dsn=db;" %> * I did everything the guys from the forum told me to do about restrictions (enter my computer name in the IIS, checking that the file/directory is not read only, adding a read/write option in IIS) but it still does not work. I don't kno how to connect OLEDB ...

  1. #1

    Default operation must use updateable query

    Hi everyone. I am bulding my site with Dreamweaver (my
    ASP knowladge is limited), and I am getting the above
    error while trying to insert a record.

    The connection code looks like that:
    <%
    // FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm"
    // Type="ADO"
    // DesigntimeType="ADO"
    // HTTP="false"
    // Catalog=""
    // Schema=""
    var MM_subscribers_STRING = "dsn=db;"
    %>

    * I did everything the guys from the forum told me to do
    about restrictions (enter my computer name in the IIS,
    checking that the file/directory is not read only, adding
    a read/write option in IIS) but it still does not work.

    I don't kno how to connect OLEDB (or whatever the name
    is..)
    and I work with access
    Note: I have also a problem with a query - when I call
    the whole table, No problem but when I try to get only
    few topics there is an error.

    What do I do? Help

    Tomas Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: operation must use updateable query

    Tomas wrote on 03 jun 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db:
    > Hi everyone. I am bulding my site with Dreamweaver (my
    > ASP knowladge is limited), and I am getting the above
    > error while trying to insert a record.
    >
    > The connection code looks like that:
    > <%
    > // FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm"
    > // Type="ADO"
    > // DesigntimeType="ADO"
    > // HTTP="false"
    > // Catalog=""
    > // Schema=""
    > var MM_subscribers_STRING = "dsn=db;"
    > %>

    If you are using vbs the // is not the richt remarker,
    you should use '

    If you are using jscript, why the remarking out of these?

    [But then, my dreams do not weave]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

  3. #3

    > var MM_subscribers_STRING = "dsn=db;"

    Stop using a DSN!
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2126[/url]
    > * I did everything the guys from the forum told me to do
    > about restrictions (enter my computer name in the IIS,
    Enter your computer name in IIS where? I have no idea what that means.
    > checking that the file/directory is not read only, adding
    > a read/write option in IIS)
    I have no idea what you did here either, but I don't think anyone has given
    you proper instructions. Probably the first thing you should do is make
    sure the MDB file is somewhere in your web structure, not in a more
    restricted place like c:\file.mdb.

    Unless you've changed the authentication settings, IIS runs ASP pages as a
    local user named IUSR_<your_machine_name>. Access, because it is a
    primitive file-based system, requires that the ASP user have read, write and
    change privileges on the folder (Access needs to grow the file occasionally,
    and also need to create an LDB file, which is used to lock access to
    specific portions of the database).

    So, what you need to do is open Windows Explorer. Right-click the folder
    where the database file is, click "Sharing and Security", and on the
    security tab, check for IUSR_<your_machine_name>. If he is not there, add
    him through the Add... button. Highlight him and make sure he has read,
    write, and modify permissions on the folder.
    > I don't kno how to connect OLEDB
    There are valid OLEDB connection strings displayed at
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2126[/url]
    > No problem but when I try to get only
    > few topics there is an error.
    Can you think about SHOWING how you "try to get only few topics"? And is
    this the same error you get when you insert, or ... ?
    > What do I do? Help
    Go through some tutorials before taking on more than you can handle.

    --
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/[/url]
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] Guest

  4. #4

    "Tomas" wrote in message news:173f501c44941$d3387150$a601280aphx.gbl...
    : Hi everyone. I am bulding my site with Dreamweaver (my
    : ASP knowladge is limited), and I am getting the above
    : error while trying to insert a record.
    :
    : The connection code looks like that:
    : <%
    : // FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm"
    : // Type="ADO"
    : // DesigntimeType="ADO"
    : // HTTP="false"
    : // Catalog=""
    : // Schema=""
    : var MM_subscribers_STRING = "dsn=db;"
    : %>
    :
    : * I did everything the guys from the forum told me to do
    : about restrictions (enter my computer name in the IIS,
    : checking that the file/directory is not read only, adding
    : a read/write option in IIS) but it still does not work.
    :
    : I don't kno how to connect OLEDB (or whatever the name
    : is..)
    : and I work with access
    : Note: I have also a problem with a query - when I call
    : the whole table, No problem but when I try to get only
    : few topics there is an error.
    :
    : What do I do? Help

    Tomas...