Professional Web Applications Themes

Opinion: Ruby + OpenOffice.org - Ruby

Hi guys, I've been thinking about the idea of Ruby bindings for OpenOffice.org. I am thinking that: 1. This might benefit OOo, by making OOo programming easier. Especially if the bindings are well designed. Hopefully, this would attract more programmers. 2. If (1) happens, that would benefit Ruby. OOo is one of the most popular open source programs. It is widely used in Linux, Windows and there is a Mac OS X port in progress. If OOo comes with a copy of Ruby, then there would be millions of users with Ruby installed. Furthermore, OOo is growing at an impressive ...

  1. #1

    Default Opinion: Ruby + OpenOffice.org

    Hi guys,

    I've been thinking about the idea of Ruby bindings for OpenOffice.org. I
    am thinking that:

    1. This might benefit OOo, by making OOo programming easier. Especially
    if the bindings are well designed. Hopefully, this would attract more
    programmers.

    2. If (1) happens, that would benefit Ruby. OOo is one of the most
    popular open source programs. It is widely used in Linux, Windows and
    there is a Mac OS X port in progress. If OOo comes with a copy of Ruby,
    then there would be millions of users with Ruby installed. Furthermore,
    OOo is growing at an impressive rate. Last year Munich got 14,000 copies.
    Later on China ordered a few millions. Last week an Indian copany ordered
    another 15,000.

    So there might be a growing market for OOo-related applications, which
    Ruby could capitalize on. This could spark interest in Ruby as well.

    I would like to hear some opinions on this. Do you guys think that Ruby
    bindings for OOo would be worth it? Do you agree with my hypothesis?

    I'm trying to figure out if this is a project worth doing. I'd like to
    hear your thoughts on this.

    Cheers,
    --
    Daniel Carrera | No trees were harmed in the generation of this e-mail.
    PhD student. | A significant number of electrons were, however, severely

    Daniel Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Opinion: Ruby + OpenOffice.org

    il Tue, 10 Feb 2004 06:58:36 +0900, Daniel Carrera
    <umd.edu> ha scritto::

    do you mean something related to UNO ?
    I'd love to see that, if my opinion matters :)
    gabriele Guest

  3. #3

    I agree.
    Doesn't any project already exist for allowing such a thing?

    Lio

    shasckaw Guest

  4. #4

    Yura Kloubakov wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    Which issue is this in? I just looked on their website, but couldn't see mention of it in the contents of the Jan or Feb 2004 issues.

    Harry Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:43:40AM +0900, Tom Copeland wrote:

    > Yup, also thanks to James for:
    >
    > http://ooo4r.rubyforge.org/[/ref]

    Yes, I know James. I've talked to him several times. In fact, if you
    take a look at the website you just gave me, you will see my name on it.

    I wrote a simple tool called OOoExtract which inspired James to do his
    (much superior) work.

    But this is *not* what I am talking about here. James' work is for
    manipulating SXW files. I am talking about using the OOo API (UNO) to
    write plugins, filters and and even GUI applications based on OOo.

    Cheers,

  6. #6

    On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 07:55:00AM +0900, gabriele renzi wrote:

    > do you mean something related to UNO ?
    > I'd love to see that, if my opinion matters :)[/ref]

    Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. UNO.

    UNO bindings could be used to add filters and write GUI programs that
    could run along-side OOo. Let's say you think that OOo should have a
    calendar, or a dictionary that uses the dict protocol to extract
    definitions from the web. You could do that in Ruby and turn it into an
    OOo add-on through the UNO bindings.

    I think that's cool.

    But ultimately, I'm not just interested on whether it's cool or not, but
    also on whether this would bring developers to OOo and/or Ruby.

    Cheers,

  7. #7

    Daniel Carrera wrote:

    Hi!
    I actually use OOo and ruby, but it is as they belonged to two different
    worlds. There is already a binding for python distributed with OOo. But
    I don't use it as I don't like python enough to do that. If only OOo
    could offer ruby scripting, I'd certainly use it! :)

    Lio

    shasckaw Guest

  8. #8

    In article <umd.edu>,
    Daniel Carrera <umd.edu> wrote:

    Seems like a great idea. The only way you're going to find out if it's
    worth doing is to build it. "If you build it, they will come" ;-)

    Or, maybe your question is: "If I build it, will they come?"

    Phil
    Phil Guest

  9. #9

    Daniel Carrera <umd.edu> writes:

    Not only would this be useful, I'd even be willing to help! I spent
    more time futzing around with the OOo java interface to write a doc to
    sxw batch converter than I did with the Ruby scripts to convert sxw to
    (my preferred form of) HTML, so the Ruby code was 80% of the project,
    and Java the *other* 80% (grrr!!). I looked at the UNO stuff at the
    time, but it gave me a serious headache; it just seemed unnecessarily
    complicated to me, especially given the simple task at the time: load
    ..doc file, save as .sxw .

    I would add batch applications to your list above, only because that's
    been my primary focus of OOo automation, unless that's your definition
    of 'filter'.

    d.k.

    --
    Daniel Kelley - San Jose, CA
    For email, replace the first dot in the domain with an at.

  10. #10

    On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:35:04PM +0900, Daniel Kelley wrote:

    > Not only would this be useful, I'd even be willing to help![/ref]

    Yay!

    Needless to say, the project is complicated. And I'm not entirely sure
    how to go about doing that. Why don't you join the following mailing
    lists:

    openoffice.org
    openoffice.org

    To subscribe: send an email to openoffice.org , etc.

    I understand that writing UNO bindings is easier if the language in
    question has a Java implementation, and Ruby does. But you pay the
    penalty in speed.

    Perhaps we should ask at these lists how one can do this. We can try to
    do Java-based bindings first. This would help us see:

    (a) How difficult C++ based bindings would be.
    (b) The level of interest in UNO bindings.

    So we can figure out if it's worth going to extra mile for the C++
    bindings.

    I agree. Part of what I'd like to see in Ruby bindings is a much
    simplified interface. The bindings could do a lot behind the scenes to
    provide an easy to understand interface.

    What is a batch application? When I say "filter" I just mean the ability
    to read a new kind of file format.

    Cheers,

  11. #11

    Daniel Carrera <umd.edu> wrote in message news:<umd.edu>...

    > > Not only would this be useful, I'd even be willing to help![/ref]
    >
    > Yay!
    >
    > Needless to say, the project is complicated. And I'm not entirely sure
    > how to go about doing that. Why don't you join the following mailing
    > lists:
    >
    > openoffice.org
    > openoffice.org
    >
    > To subscribe: send an email to openoffice.org , etc.
    >

    > I understand that writing UNO bindings is easier if the language in
    > question has a Java implementation, and Ruby does. But you pay the
    > penalty in speed.
    >
    > Perhaps we should ask at these lists how one can do this. We can try to
    > do Java-based bindings first. This would help us see:
    >
    > (a) How difficult C++ based bindings would be.
    > (b) The level of interest in UNO bindings.
    >
    > So we can figure out if it's worth going to extra mile for the C++
    > bindings.[/ref]

    Why couldn't you just swig their C++ libraries?
    http://www.swig.org

    Swig would probably do about 80% of the wrapping work for you.

    Phil
    Phil Guest

  12. #12

    On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:24:59AM +0900, Phil Tomson wrote:

    > Why couldn't you just swig their C++ libraries?
    > http://www.swig.org
    >
    > Swig would probably do about 80% of the wrapping work for you.[/ref]

    I would have no idea of how to do this.

    If I go the other route at least I can ask for help from the OOo
    developers.

    Cheers,

  13. #13

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:32:03 +0900, Daniel Carrera wrote:

    >> Why couldn't you just swig their C++ libraries?
    >> http://www.swig.org
    >>
    >> Swig would probably do about 80% of the wrapping work for you.[/ref]
    >

    > I would have no idea of how to do this.
    >
    > If I go the other route at least I can ask for help from the OOo
    > developers.[/ref]

    If you go the other route (writing the extension/embedding yourself), you
    will make it much more difficult getting help from ruby-talk.
    I bet this will also make it more difficult for an OOo developer to
    understand.

    Please use SWIG.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Guest

  14. #14

    Daniel Carrera <umd.edu> writes:

    Essentially an application w/o a GUI (like the old days!). For example, my
    command line doc-sxw converter.