Professional Web Applications Themes

Opinion which to get? - Mac Portable

I'm considering getting a Mac for my I.T company. I currently have a PC notebook but the display starting going after 2 months of use. It was bounced around for 3 months got it yesterday unfixed and some tech broke a door of the card slot. I'm considering getting a Mac especially since I plan to get Mac certified. I'm considering the following: ibook: G3 900 Mhz, 14.1, 256 Mb, 40 Gb, DVD/CD-RW, ATI 7500 32MB - $2149 CDN powerbook: G4 867 Mhz 12.1, 256Mb, 40, DVD/CD-RW, Geforce4 32MB, OS 10.2 - $2249 CDN Any thoughts would be great!. Cheers, ...

  1. #1

    Default Opinion which to get?

    I'm considering getting a Mac for my I.T company. I currently have a PC
    notebook but the display starting going after 2 months of use. It was
    bounced around for 3 months got it yesterday unfixed and some tech broke a
    door of the card slot. I'm considering getting a Mac especially since I plan
    to get Mac certified. I'm considering the following:

    ibook: G3 900 Mhz, 14.1, 256 Mb, 40 Gb, DVD/CD-RW, ATI 7500 32MB - $2149 CDN

    powerbook: G4 867 Mhz 12.1, 256Mb, 40, DVD/CD-RW, Geforce4 32MB, OS 10.2 -
    $2249 CDN

    Any thoughts would be great!.

    Cheers,
    Rick
    --
    A+ Certified Systems Professional
    Network+ Certified Professional

    Rick Blythin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Opinion which to get?

    "Tez" <nospamthiscomputer.thanks> wrote in message
    news:1fyktg1.headly1qsmflsN%nospamthiscomputer.th anks...
    > Rick Blythin <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:

    {snip}
    > I have had a 12" 600 dual USB since they came out and its fantastic. The
    > smaller screen really isnt a problem nor is it a difference worth
    > shouting about when compared to the 14".
    >
    > If I were buying now and was faced with a $100 difference then it would
    > be the G4 powerbook without a doubt. The G4 will munch through more
    > complex applications much better than the G3 though you probably wouldnt
    > notice a difference in apps like word processors etc. but when you come
    > to edit and save a large photo or do some basic video or music editing
    > then you will appreciate the difference.
    >
    > Its also a newer machine so would therefore have less depreciation and
    > finally I have a photgrapher friend who is constantly travelling with
    > hers and says its an excellent all rounder.
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Tez
    Thanks for the thoughts Tez,

    That's what I was thinking also, for the $100 difference I may as well get
    the PB, plus being a business machine the extra power would probably come in
    handy.

    Rick

    Rick Blythin Guest

  3. #3

    "Tez" <nospamthiscomputer.thanks> wrote in message
    news:1fylkip.hj3w9f1xhtzmeN%nospamthiscomputer.th anks...
    > Rick Blythin <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    > > "Tez" <nospamthiscomputer.thanks> wrote in message
    > > news:1fyktg1.headly1qsmflsN%nospamthiscomputer.th anks...
    > > > Rick Blythin <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:
    > > >
    > > {snip}
    > >
    > > > I have had a 12" 600 dual USB since they came out and its fantastic.
    The
    > > > smaller screen really isnt a problem nor is it a difference worth
    > > > shouting about when compared to the 14".
    > > >
    > > > If I were buying now and was faced with a $100 difference then it
    would
    > > > be the G4 powerbook without a doubt. The G4 will munch through more
    > > > complex applications much better than the G3 though you probably
    wouldnt
    > > > notice a difference in apps like word processors etc. but when you
    come
    > > > to edit and save a large photo or do some basic video or music editing
    > > > then you will appreciate the difference.
    > > >
    > > > Its also a newer machine so would therefore have less depreciation and
    > > > finally I have a photgrapher friend who is constantly travelling with
    > > > hers and says its an excellent all rounder.
    > > > Hope this helps
    > > >
    > > > Tez
    > >
    > > Thanks for the thoughts Tez,
    > >
    > > That's what I was thinking also, for the $100 difference I may as well
    get
    > > the PB, plus being a business machine the extra power would probably
    come in
    > > handy.
    > >
    > > Rick
    >
    > Indeed it would. Just another thing I remembered so there are no
    > surprises/dissapointments is that many G4 PB users talk about the amount
    > of heat generated by the PB. Some say too hot some say hot but okay. My
    > iBook heats up too and yes if I have had it on my lap for hours while
    > wearng shorts it will become uncomfortable but its not a problem I am
    > bothered about. Also from what I have seen there is an okay for every
    > too hot. If you feel this may be an issue then try and find a retailer
    > where you can have a good touchy feely session.
    >
    > Tez
    Yes I have heard about the heat issue but I find that PC laptops have the
    same issue. My Toshiba laptop get quite hot and quite heavy (7 pounder)
    after several hours use even through jeans. It's more then lightly more of
    an airflow issue more then anything else. So the heat factor doesn't really
    bother me. I know the PB may be slightly noticeable being aluminium. That's
    a minor thing considering I'd be coming to Macs from PC's ;). Although I
    will admit MS have finally made a decent OS in XP. But OS X will be the best
    of both the stability of Unix based on a great looking GUI that runs
    everything I need & support all my current hardware. Although my 2200
    Althlon desktop will still be my main Photoshop, CAD & games system, my I.T
    company revolves around being portable so that's where the PB will come in.

    Cheers,
    Rick
    --
    A+, Network+